Opinion on Delvac1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be favorable so far, i run this oil in my Honda929 sportbike. I ride pretty agrresive and stunt with it alot.
The oil seems to be holding up just fine, this will be my third oil change using delvac1300, my drain interval is 2500-3000 miles with filter change included.
The only time i was nervous was during the summer with the temp. in Palm Springs reaching 112+ degrees but again the oil held up fine.
I am thinking of switching to Shell Rottella T, the reasoning is, its a synthetic and i believe i can get better performance and extended drain iterval over dino oil, plus its cheaper than Delvac1.
If anyone has any doubts about using diesel oils in bikes(esp.sportbikes) have no worries. I redline the **** out of my bike and reach tripple digit speed all the time. Plus i stunt, i have ridden wheelies for more than a mile and at some insane speeds.
I dont need to have a picture of a motorcyle on a bottle of oil to feel im getting a good product.
As info, my buddy that works at pepboys runs nothing but that proline 20/50 car oil in his GSXR750 and he is more sick than i am when i come to ridding i have seen him do some crazy **** .

You wont have any trouble with using DEO in your bike but theres a reason why all the majors have made a bike oil. Due to the design of the sump on your cbr you wont be starving the engine of oil no matter how far you ride on the back wheel. Just dont do it long on a Ducati or she'll spit oil out of the back of air box and all over the back wheel. Dont ask how I know. Bouncing the engine off the rev line is what these bikes was made for. You should see what HONDA does to test the engine before it hits the market. Remeber to change not only your engine oil but your fork oil as well with stunting.

Dont be fooled into thinking all M/C specific oils are the best out there.
I agree that there are addatives that are important to m/c in specific, but those addatives can be found in oil none m/c engineered

Scooter, why do you recommend changing the fork oil as well? If someone can wheelie the right way (bring it down smoothly) it should be no worse than riding down a regualr road. Although here in MI the roads are terrible. Or, are your referring to a specific Fork OCI?

Excessive wheelie-ing will create extra stress on steering head bearings more than anything else. I change out fork oil every two years.

I also am trying Delvac 1300 in my Kawasaki. Don't have any complaints so far.

a thicker fork oil will help when the front comes slamming down. that or heavier springs. remember even when properly done the front of the bike isnt made to leave the ground. even when done smoothly. it takes its toll on head bearings and eventually will make the neck tube on the frame where the head bearing area is oval shaped.

So what? Set your bike up for riding or for landing wheelies?

That makes a lot of sense.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by scooter996:
a thicker fork oil will help when the front comes slamming down. that or heavier springs. remember even when properly done the front of the bike isnt made to leave the ground. even when done smoothly. it takes its toll on head bearings and eventually will make the neck tube on the frame where the head bearing area is oval shaped.

road_rascal what kind of kawi do you have ?
I like the new ZX10, its looks like kawi may accually have built a liter bike that will be at the top of the food chain.

It's a 22 year old KZ750 that I turned into a cafe racer (think Mad Max style). It's OK for twisty roads but sucks for long distance travel as the bubble fairing barely blocks any wind. That's what my Honda's for
grin.gif
!

I set mine up for riding. ohlins front and rear. I am into corners not onto one wheel. On my Ducati coming out of cornors while on the gas she may come up off of the power but I dont try to do it. Its hard to go around a corner on
one wheel. New zx-10 does look hot but so does the new r-1 and cbr. Its going to have it hands full with those new models as well. If it were my money I dont know what I'd spend it on. I hope their all better than the old gsxr10000.

IM at the base of big bear mtn. i ride the twisties all the time. Some of the best ridding you will find out here in souther cali.
Yea i like to stunt, but thats just part of having a sportbike, pushing it to new limits weather on the track, in the twisties , or on the street.
If you realy want to test your backroad skills try Palolmar Mtn. off of hyway 76 in SanDiego.
What oils are you running in your other bikes and have you had good results with it. Like i stated earlier, i might give Rottella T syn a try but i hate to give up the tried and true delvac1300. But as i have learned over the years that SYNS are the way to go, just have to make sure that it has enough zinc, and phosphorus and a good TBN.
Anyone know of any LONG term studies of bike using nothing but diesel oils through out the life of an engine.

Haven't seen any long term studies using diesel oil in bikes but if you can find a Feb 2000 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (page 11) there was a story on a guy who put over 240,000 miles on a 1993 CBR900RR using nothing but Castrol GTX 10w/40. The bike even saw a few track days.

The engines on these machines are basically bullet proof. They last forever and are desinged to be beat on. 90% of riders cant come close to use all the power these engines contain when ridden on the streets. I think you could put used oil in them and theyd still run, know what I mean

quote:

Originally posted by scooter996:
The engines on these machines are basically bullet proof. They last forever and are desinged to be beat on. 90% of riders cant come close to use all the power these engines contain when ridden on the streets. I think you could put used oil in them and theyd still run, know what I mean

It must also be about 90% of motorcycle engines that never get worn out. They either get wrecked, or parked in a corner of trhe garage and forgotten. Ten year old used biles with less than 10,000 miles on them aren't unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back