Anybody been into an atv/mc trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this topic belongs here, If not I'm sorry.

Anywho: I have an 01 Kawasaki Mojave atv.

It has 5 forward gears and reverse with a manual clutch.

It has stopped upshifting. I can move the shifter but it stays in whatever gear I'm in.

So going from 2nd to 3rd it will stay in 2nd even though the shifter did move to what should have been 3rd.

If I keep trying enough it will eventully upshift.Once in 5th gear it will downshift ok w/o anything weird hapening.

Where would I begin to fix this? I have a Clymer book and it shows a star shaped thing that is relativly easy to get to.

The thought of tearing the entire trans down scares me! I've been into them before and they never worked again plus tearing it down involves the top end too.

Anybody been into one of these or heard of my problem before I ruin the quad 4-ever?

No way that I can afford to have the dealer look into it.

Here's what I have found out so far.

I found a tsb concerning my symptoms. The star shaped thing turns the shift drum. The grooves in the star deal need to be deeper for the "external fork" to grap it properly.

I got the water pump, clutch cover, clutch and the external shifting stuff off. No problem as this can be done with the engine in the frame.

I'm gonna take the external shifting mechanism to the dealer tomorrow. They said they would modify the star thing per the tsb for me.

I searched some atv forums and the reverse part is also external and can get dirt in it which will cause it to do funny things also.

Of course the problem could be in the trans and the case would have to be split to fix this. Right now I don't have the $$$ to spend on the bike if it's an internal problem.

PS. This bike has been a pita since day one! The cams go flat, The valves sink into the head, the cylinder was oval from the factory and I had to bore it when it was 3 days out of warranty.

My next quad will be a red one.
wink.gif

It sounds to me without seeing inside that you have a bent shift fork. This part is exactly as it sounds, its a piece that rides around the gear-set shaft and rotates a shift drum. Its kinda hard to explain but once you get inside the cases (yes, you have to open it up) you will see how it all works. The reason that it is so hard to upshift is that side of the shift fork is probably bent away somewhat. It will engage like you say with some force but not like its supposed to obviously. The opposing side is probably not bent, hence the normal downshifting.

You can try to repair it yourself but if you are hesitant, get with someone who can help. This is not an area that lends well to inexperienced tinkering. The star shaped piece you refer to is probably an adjuster for the clutch. Good luck.

Thats interesting these pieces are relatively easy to get to by being part of an "external shifter mechanism". That is just asking for trouble from dirt, water, etc. Anyway, it sounds like the problem will be "fixed" by virtue of the TSB. Still seems like a poor interface between the shift fork and drum that is primarily from a design standpoint.

Can't go wrong with "Big Red"
grin.gif

The parts that are called "external" are still behind a cover. This cover also covers the wetclutch and houses the oil. So they are not out in the wind so to speak.

I took the pieces to the dealer and they immediatly noticed that the pawl had worn a groove in the shift shaft and was causing the pawl to stick.

Looks like a relativly easy and inexpensive fix if this is the problem. They also had a tsb on how to modify the pawl with a file so that it doesn't damage the shaft again.

Of course my bike is out of the warranty and I must modify the pawl myself.

A guy on another forum sent me a pic of how to modify the pawl.

Looks like I don't have to split the cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back