Amsoil Dealers... advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the V-Twin 20w50 MC oil work for my:

2002 Ducati 750 air-cooled Desmodue
Wet clutch

It sees 10,000rpms at least once a day, and has to deal with hot Florida summers, yet cool 20degree winters....

The picture of the Harley on the front of the bottle throws me off.... Can this oil handle my bike?

I am not an Amsoil dealer, but I'm gonna chime in anyway.

Don't let the picture confuse you. The picture is nothing but a marketing tool - most motorcycles sold in the US are Harley's.

Ducati's are also v-twin engines, and much better designed v-twin engines than a harley engine. This oil should perform fine in any 20w-50 application regardless of the name of the bike or the picture on the bottle. This oil will not affect your wet clutch.

I also think that TooSlick may have advised Amsoil 10w-40 in colder weather for this bike(don't quote me on this one).

It will work fine! Medic is correct, it's just a picture, because the (new generation) Harley guys sometimes think they need "Harley oil".

Just curious what viscosity does Ducati recommend for a 2002?

they recommend a 10w40... BUT the manual also comes with a chart showing the other weights available......

From 0 degrees F and below to 90deg. 10w30
From 0 and above, its a 10w40
From 15 and above 15w40 or 15w50
From 32 and above 20w40 or 20w50

it even has a monograde chart as well....

Hey the 20w50 will work great. You could also take a look at the Series 2000 20w50, as the Duc has a dry clutch(that rattles like crazy) Anyhow the 20w50 will work in your bike in any temperature that you will encounter in Florida.

Good luck

[ January 19, 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

MSSPARKS

My Duc has a wet clutch.

But you're right.. the Duc dry clutches do make some interesting noises
grin.gif

P.S. where is the best place to get Amsoil?

One of my past retail accounts: "Dixie Sports Plus" - just north of Cullman, AL - was a Ducati/Moto Guzzi dealer and they used the 20w-50 MC oil for about two years. They have since gone out of business (not much call for Dukes in Alabama), but the oil worked fine and they were very happy with my technical support. As I recall, they were running 6000-7000 mile change intervals with the Amsoil MC oil, and also used the Series 2000 gear lube in the Moto Guzzi bikes.

Three years ago they raced a 748cc, Duke "Supersport" using the Amsoil 20w-50 throughout the SE; during a season that involved 12-15 races. At the end if the year they opened up the motor and there was almost no wear ....

I'd agree with my young friend, Mr. Michael Sparks on this one however. For dry clutch bikes like BMW's, Harleys, Ducatis, Moto Guzzi, etc, the Series 2000, 20w-50 is the way to go. It is "JASO MB" rated and many folks race with the stuff - even in wet clutch Japanese bikes....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
One of my past retail accounts: "Dixie Sports Plus" - just north of Cullman, AL - was a Ducati/Moto Guzzi dealer and they used the 20w-50 MC oil for about two years.
Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

They were some great folks over there. I drove all the way over there from Anniston to look at BMW's this was back in 1997, when they were BMW dealers. I remember I was going to Test ride a bike but it was too cold for me. I guess they lost BMW then went to Duc/Guzzi? Now they are totally gone, too bad.

BMW pulled their dealer franchise (sic) due to a lack of dealer service, actually (they couldn't fix the bikes!).....The chief mechanic was stayed on and was the guy I dealt with....He now works at an ATV store in Cullman selling Polaris....
smile.gif

Ted

Yes it will work fine in your application. I recommend the 20w50 for Ducati's. Thats what I am running in my 996. I then switch to Mobil 1 0w40 in fall for helping the rockers get oil quicker on start ups. Yes I said 0w40 but 10w40 will work also for those late fall rides when it gets cold. If your in Florida or warmer climates and heat is an issue I would also recommend change the gearing, go shorter, and go with a vented clutch cover to help let the heat out. Clutch plates make the ringing noise when they rattle against each other when the clutch is pulled in. Drives me nuts when people say theres something wrong with the bike at lights.

Series 2000 sounds like good stuff..... though i have a WET clutch.... what kind of Moly does the Series 2000 Contain?

Would the Series 2000 affect my *WET* clutch?

What is the difference between the Series 2000 and the MC V-twin version? Just higher Zinc and Phos?

quote:

Originally posted by CETME:
Series 2000 sounds like good stuff..... though i have a WET clutch.... what kind of Moly does the Series 2000 Contain?

Would the Series 2000 affect my *WET* clutch?

What is the difference between the Series 2000 and the MC V-twin version? Just higher Zinc and Phos?

Series 2000 doesn't contain any moly.

Wet clutch could be affected by Friction Modifiers. The difference between the Series 2000 and the AMV.

Base stock, Additive Package, Friction modifiers.

No it's not just the ZDDP.

Biggest difference for your concern is that the AMV is formulated for Wet clutch motorcycles and the Series 2000 is not. Though as Twoslick said the Series 2000 is still JASO MB qualified, so it probably woudln't hurt your bike.

quote:

Originally posted by scooter996:
I have never seen a proven case regarding moly and clutches failing.

Neither have I. Pass the Redline please.

I have seen some old reports that suggested moly containing oils sometimes causes clutch slippage in some Japanese centrifugal clutch scooters. I suspect the moly additive was MoS2 but the report didn't say if it was MoS2 or MoDTC.

I use Redline in my Honda with no problems. Riders with GSXR1000s have told me Redline works great in those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back