Has anyone heard of this oil? "SYN3 Screamin Eagle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard of "SYN3" Engine , transmission caincase oil. From "Screamin Eagle" For use in Harley davidson. It is a 20w50It says it is blended with a Three-synthetic basestock formula. Is this worth the over 8 dollars a quart they charge for it? Thanks

No, It is not worth $8 a quart. You can buy M1 Motor Cycle Formula in 20W50 for $4.99 at AutoZone!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
No, It is not worth $8 a quart. You can buy M1 Motor Cycle Formula in 20W50 for $4.99 at AutoZone!

Nah , it's 7.99 . If it was 4.99 more guys would buy it for their cars
smile.gif

No, it is not worth that much $$$, but IMO it is a better oil than the Mobil-1 mentioned above.

Amsoil, Redline and others produce synthetic oils that can be used in your Harley and far surpass the two mentioned above.

[ January 09, 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

Can i use Amsoil Series 2000 20W-50 in a Harley Davidson Softtail engine?? It has friction modifiers so i dont want to damage the clutch.

I read on here:
http://ironheadsportster.com/html/clutch_system.html
That if it has a belt driven then it has a dry clutch. From my understanding you only dont need the friction modifers *only* on a wet clutch system. My dad does have it belt driven bike.

[ February 08, 2004, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: therion ]

quote:

Originally posted by therion:
Can i use Amsoil Series 2000 20W-50 in a Harley Davidson Softtail engine?? It has friction modifiers so i dont want to damage the clutch.

I read on here:
That if it has a belt driven then it has a dry clutch. From my understanding you only dont need the friction modifers *only* on a wet clutch system. My dad does have it belt driven bike.

Let's get this straight.

The bike you are asking about has three different cases - 1. Engine, 2. Primary drive (contains clutch), 3. Transmission.

In this bike, the engine oil won't come in contact with the clutch unless you have a seal leaking. If the seal is leaking, it will allow a very little amount of the engine oil to enter the primary drive, or the primary lube to enter the engine oil.

The belt drive & dry clutch refers to the primary drive, not the final drive (which drives the back tire). Harley has used a belt final drive on big twins for almost 20 years now. Harley has NEVER used a belt primary drive on any softail model. Belt primarys are only on custom built bikes & are only available aftermarket on Harleys. All stock Harley's have a wet clutch.

Now, a bit of information on FM's and wet clutches. Not all friction modifiers affect wet clutch operation. Redline uses some of the highest amounts of molybdenum (a common friction modifier) in the industry, but maintains their oil is safe for wet clutch systems.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by therion:

I read on here:

Let's get this straight.

The bike you are asking about has three different cases - 1. Engine, 2. Primary drive (contains clutch), 3. Transmission.

In this bike, the engine oil won't come in contact with the clutch unless you have a seal leaking. If the seal is leaking, it will allow a very little amount of the engine oil to enter the primary drive, or the primary lube to enter the engine oil.

The belt drive & dry clutch refers to the primary drive, not the final drive (which drives the back tire). Harley has used a belt final drive on big twins for almost 20 years now. Harley has NEVER used a belt primary drive on any softail model. Belt primarys are only on custom built bikes & are only available aftermarket on Harleys. All stock Harley's have a wet clutch.

Now, a bit of information on FM's and wet clutches. Not all friction modifiers affect wet clutch operation. Redline uses some of the highest amounts of molybdenum (a common friction modifier) in the industry, but maintains their oil is safe for wet clutch systems.

Yes! thats what i thought too! Actually wouldn't the s2k 20W-50 give better anti-wear than the V-twin 20W-50?

This is a 2003 Heritage Softtail Classic.

[ February 08, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back