Oil for ATV w/o wet clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 04 Kawasaki V-Force sport ATV. 700cc V-Twin engine. It has a CVT transmission so there is no wet clutch. I presume there would be no need for friction modifiers to help with the wet clutch.

So I want all the extra phosphorus and zinc a motorcycle oil gets without the friction modifiers for the wet clutch.

I was thinking this:

"Now AMSOIL is giving motorcyclists and manufacturers what they want: AMSOIL High Performance Oils, new high-stress formulations of AMV (20W-50) and AMF (10W-40). These 100% synthetic oils have beefier anti-wear and detergent/dispersant packages than ever, and no friction modifiers."

Opinions??

I would save your money and do a bit more frequent changes with Mobil 1 15-50 in the 5 quart jug.

Cryptokid,

I am far from an expert on this matter but as I understand it the CVT sits outside the engine crankcase which is bathed in oil. The CVT mechanism is attached to the "driven" shaft. Straight power to it. The CVT assembly modulates the power and transmits the regulated power to the final drive pully via a belt. In my machines case the secondary pulley feeds back into the gear box where a splined end bathed in oil connects to the drive shaft. The CVT is in effect the "clutch" if you could call it that but never comes in contact with oil at all.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1033&location_id=542

You are correct that your Kawi does not have a wet clutch. The Amsoil or Mobil 1 in the correct weight would suffice. I have a Polaris 700 with a similar setup, and have been using the Amsoil 10W-40 with success for some time now.

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

So I want all the extra phosphorus and zinc a motorcycle oil gets without the friction modifiers for the wet clutch.
Opinions??

You've got it backwards, it's the wet clutch applications where the friction modifiers are undesireable. So if you're after lots of zinc and phosphorus, Amsoil (auto or motorcycle oil) or Mobil 1 motorcycle oil should do. Mobil 1 15W50 auto oil should also have more than enough zinc and phosphorus.

Enigma is correct, the CVT's are no a wet clutch. They are an external clutch that is connected to the transmission by a belt. I am using Amsoil 0W40 Four Stroke oil in my Polaris Sportsman with good results. It is made for 4-wheelers and Snowmobiles in mind. I pay about $5.75 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back