Switching to Shell Rotella T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I was fine with the Mobil 1 MX4T until my engine started sipping it like hot coffee. I've never had the problem before but my oil level gradually started dropping the second I switched to the Mobil 1. I'm going to switch to Shell Rotella T for my next oil change which is still 2,200 miles away from now.

Any ideas why the oil consumption began?

I've used the Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 in my wife's motorcycle for about a year (the factory recommends 10W-40) and it has run great. She said it shifted a lot easier for her since the switch. As far as the regular 15W-40, it will probably work just fine. A lot of folks here don't care for Rotella-T compared to Delvac, Delo, ect. but your bike would probably not be able to tell the difference.

I was told by a friend working in the oil industry that Shell's Rotella T will work fine with my bike. He says he's been using it for many years with no problems in either of his bikes. I'm going to take his word for it because the worst that can happen is... well, nothing! It's not going to destroy my bike, that's for sure.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
Any ideas why the oil consumption began?

There are two ways the bike might consume oil. Through the PCV system, or through blowby. Both happen more if you ride it hard. I'm not sure about MX4T, but Mobil 1 in general is usually at the low end of their viscosity rating when new, and the thinner oil will cause some engines to consume more oil. Mobil 1 15w50 red cap, being a low 50 weight oil, is less likely to have this problem.

Hey blue what type of bike? Yamahas and Kawasaki's are KNOWN to sip and burn oil at an alarming rate. My zx-11 did and so did my R-1

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
I was told by a friend working in the oil industry that Shell's Rotella T will work fine with my bike. He says he's been using it for many years with no problems in either of his bikes. I'm going to take his word for it because the worst that can happen is... well, nothing! It's not going to destroy my bike, that's for sure.
grin.gif

Just be carefull on running it too many miles without analysis . This 15/40 thinned almost two full cSt's in less than 3k miles while the 5w-40 Shell faired a bit better in the same engine .

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000104

I'm running Rotella in my 2003 ZX6R 636 right now and it seems just fine.

My oil pan on my EX500 had a crack, just got a new oil pan yesterday so I'm gonna install it today. When I get the used oil pan on I'm going to run Shell Rotella T.

Does anyone have any lab tests on the Rotella T? I saw that link up there for the synthetic... pretty impressive. I can't find any synthetic around here. I guess I've gotta look harder.

Take it easy, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back