I'm still curious about heavy wt. oils in sportbikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on my 39th motorcycle. I have used M1 15W-50 for a number of years now. It seems to be about the best motorcycle oil available and is thin for a 50.

Motorcycle engines are hard on oil, period.

Higher viscosities do increase fluid drag and reduce HP slightly.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that big bore sport bikes are really not run very hard for long. Smaller bikes like the 600's actually have to be tougher because they are pushed to the limit much more often. This fact allows those big engines to be made very light. When I was in Japan, I learned the percentage of time spent at max output/load is well less than 1% of total engine life for big bores, compared with about 3% for smaller bikes. A 250 Ninja engine spends a whopping 6-7% of it's life at max load, that is more than 10 times the big bore sport bike level.

Chris

Since a 600cc bike has MORE than enough for the average skilled rider Ill give up the extra HP for increased engine protection anytime. I have yet to see a case of the "moly myth" trashing a tranny. Yes bikes are hard on oil and the tranny meshing doesntt help things. Wow 39 bikes, what makes or brands havent you owned?

On the VFR list, it is universally accepted that 20W50 protects against wear and allows the tranny to shift better in V4 Honda engines (compared to 10W40). I know my tranny shifts better with less (mis-shifts) with the 20W50, and is quieter when hot (these engines run hot). If you search on the Texas Garage VFR site I believe several members have some oil analysis and actual engine wear data to back-up these claims. For me, no additional info is needed and the 20W50 is my oil as it works better for me!!

Amsoil 10w40 will "protect" better than a 20w50 conventional oil.

I would stick with the 10w40 if it were mine, the bike is water cooled and will give you the best performance, ie a 20w50 could rob hp from you.

I run 10w40 Amsoil in my Triumph 955, the book calls for the Mobil 1 15w50, but the repair manual says you can use a synthetic 10w40. I have no worries that my engine will go 100,000 miles. Actually that is what I"m hoping for. (though I'm only at 8,000 now) I've got a long way to go.

If your worried about protection, do an oil analysis on your next change, that would be a good indicator if the oil is or is not doing a good job.

I have been using Mobil 10w40 Mx4t in my vfr750 and had no trouble what so ever. The Honda HP4 10w40 however didnt test as well. This might be due to it being a semi-oil and track days but the fully synthetic has done very well. The VFR engine design has a great cooling system whether its the split radiator 800cc set up or the old 750 single style so extreme traffic, stop and go riding, isnt much of a concern. When you say that your having less up shifts problems are you doing clutchless up shifts?

Scooter

My 2000 800 VFR and most like it run hot due to the emissions and cat. converter. I have had several track days, and 200 to 220 seemed the normal range in temps. with air temps in the 80's at speeds from 10 to 120 mph. On the street in hot traffic, does the same. I used synthetic 10W40 then switched to 20W50. Starts fine, runs quieter and at the same temp. I also take long runs down the BlueRidge Parkway with a bunch of Hooligans. 16 hour riding days are the norm. Real hard on the oil. Seemingly, when heated like this, the 1st to N to 2nd and back again became "harder." I say harder as the tranny shifts flawlessly even without the clutch. The 20W50 help this problem out alot.

Brands not owned, Triumph, Ducati, Aprilla, and a few others.

Currently I have a Yamaha RZ350 and a Husqvarna 360 dirt bike. I am in the market for another big bore, probably a Tuono.

BTW, I use mobil 1 ATF in the 2 stroke transmissions.

Chris

Scooter:

I ran Water Wetter years past in my 600 Ninja. Really no effects. I'm not a big fan about additives as most are ineffective at best, and harmful at worst. I don't use anything but the Honda stuff in the VFR. I've personally seen two 2000 VFRs have immediate (first ride) water pump leaks using the regular "green" antifreeze. In addition, many VFR club members, on the bikes with cats, run real hot, especially at the track. It's not just mine, I've seen others running hot. From what I hear from Reg Pridmoore and the CLASS folks who ride the VFRs on the track schools, hot running VFRs are the norm and they never have had a problem with any of them (other than crashing). They (CLASS INSTRUCTORS) all run the Honda, non-synthetic oils (20W50) (it's free to them!!).

Mike

I am not a fan either but I have to use it for track days. I swear there was a product called blue ice or cool blue or something that truly lowered the engine temp by 15-20 or so. Claims, claims, claims. I alos like the oem honda stuff since I dont have to mix anything to top off.

quote:

Originally posted by deskjockey:
Are heavier oils better for protection??? I have a liquid cooled Honda CBR 954cc sportbike and am wondering if it's beneficial to run a 20w50 (better protection)? Then I start to think about the tolerances. Maybe a heavier oil isn't so good to use, and maybe it's robbing me of some performance. My manual lists acceptable grades as 10w40, 15w40, and 20w50. I think they had a 20w40 in there too??? I will probably just try Amsoil 10w40 next. Have I been brainwashed into thinking heavier oils are better?? Also, what causes fuel dilution? Short trips? Sloppy piston ring to cylinder tolerances?

I think most will agree that the most wear is during cold starts,that being said, I prefer low "w" as in 0w or 5w.In a bike with a wet clutch,as long as it doesn't say "energy conserving" on the label,it should be fine.Also the racers I know usually gain 2-3hp by running a thinner(0w30 or 5w30)synthetic oil as opposed to 10w40 or 15w50.

Yes but remember that there is a thick coating on all parts after the bike is shut off which stays there to protect when the bike is restarted. This is due not to a heavy weight oil but more to do with additive packages, not the higher weight oil.

quote:

Originally posted by scooter996:
I test rode the tuono at a demo day and loved it. Great choice.

I love the looks, ride position and fun factor of this bike. If I were to have 2 I seriously think this would be the one. I'd have the Sprint for touring duty and the Tuono for everything else!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back