Blow by

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I have an air/oil cooled Suzuki motorcycle that I have used Torco MPZ 10W40, Castrol GTX 20W50, Rotella T 10W40, Valvoline all climate 20W50, Mobil 1 5W30 and Rotella T 5W40 in. Here is an obsevation I made with this bike. The Rotella's, and Valvoline make a lot of vapor and fumes at the breather vent. They produce the vapors even if the motor is not hot and STINK!

Does anyone know why?

Now that I'm on an Amsoil kick I'll try Amsoil 10W40 maybe.

Run the Amsoil S2000, 20w-50 in this one, since it's air cooled ...it will hold up better than the 10w-40. The S2000 is JASO MB rated for MC use and the type of oil soluble FM's they use don't affect wet clutches ....

Tooslick

KW ,

I think you have smelled the 5/40 Rotella in the past which had a odor others diesel owners complained of and has since been fixed in some way. With the dino's you were smelling the lighter hydrocarbons burning off to to their inferior NOAK compared to a true synlube.

Tooslick ,
Before giving advice on what oil to use in the Suzuki Advanced Cooling System Design please take time to educate yourself on how it works . These engines thrive on 13.8 - 14.5 centistroke synlubes for better flow by virtue of design to enhance the engine cooling and to allow more oil to be jet sprayed under the piston crown for additional cooling and guard against detonation as designed for the high compression engine series of the GSX and GSF.

http://www.gsx.altervista.org/SACS.htm

Your oil recommendation for this motor is.... Too thick ...Slick
wink.gif
and oil soluable moly does not affect the kevlar clutch material.

Motul 10/40
Mobil 10/40
Castrol 5/40 R

Are sure winners for this engine stock , modified , race or street .

Have a nice Saturday , I am going riding
tongue.gif

[ November 29, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Run the Amsoil S2000, 20w-50 in this one, since it's air cooled ...it will hold up better than the 10w-40. The S2000 is JASO MB rated for MC use and the type of oil soluble FM's they use don't affect wet clutches ....

Tooslick

You want an oil that is rated JASO MA for a wet clutch not one rated MB. Use the Amsoil motorcycle oil or high performance motor oil, both of which are rated JASO MA.

I run 15w-40 HDEO's in my bikes/ATV's, and have had the pleasure of owning/operating a few Suzuki SACS machines...I LOVE aircooled engines, and with that in mind, really like these engines.

A little tip for you that I discovered...the HDEO's do achieve the Caterpillar TO-2 and Allison C-4 transmission fluid spec...if it meets these specs, then I can almost guarantee you that it will meet JASO spec. as well.

Jelly;
Now that you have discovered that JASO MA and Allison C-4 are almost the same thing, you can go the next big step and recommend a single grade for that air cooled engine.
Perhaps Penz LL 40 or Mobil's 1340.
You know, for those places in the world where PC Duron is not available.
tongue.gif

One difference in the JASO MA approval is the ash content is limited to <1.2%. Many of the fleet oils slightly exceed this.

My air oil motor seems to have excessive smelly blow by/vapors with the Rotella T 5W40. It good be that the bike just not like the oil. The clutch seems to like it just fine.

I have the same stuff in my TL1000 but have not ran it for more than a few seconds with the oil. It has an airbox so if it does vaporize a lot I may not notice it.

KW,

Are you running individual or the dual mount filters on the 1200 ? If so,is the valve cover vented into the air ? The part in your post about the TL leads me to beleive the airbox is removed.

Remember the Shell 5/40 is a group III Slack Wax base oil . Don't know what the NOAK is though .Your motor might be tough on that oil when oil temps get up to + 280f .
smile.gif

BTW, how did you like the Torco MPZ 10W40 ?

Good - bad ?

I've not seen a data sheet for it and am curious about the 10/40 .

[ December 03, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Yes the 1200 has pod filters and vents to the open air, with near 13:1 compression I guess it beats oil up pretty darn good too.

I liked everything about the Torco other than the price.

The Rotella 5W40 looked like it might be a good bang for the buck and might just be in the TL. I might play somemore with other oils or go back the the old stand-by of GTX 20W50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back