Run heavier wt. because of fuel dilution??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '02 CBR 954 that's inline 4 , water cooled. So far I have run in it: Honda GN4, M1 15-50, and M1 Vtwin 20W-50. I recently ran the 20W-50 because of a recommendation by a person on a bike site that tests oils. He was always concerned about running long OCI because of fuel dilution. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking of going to Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle specific next. I do a lot of short trips around town, stops at traffic lights, occasinal long trips, wheelies (feathering the clutch), etc. Riding usually consists of going from gas station to gas station to pick people up, hang out etc. I should've bought a moped! I currently change oil around 3000 miles. Give me your thoughts.

I would have the oil analyzed after 3000 miles and see if fuel dilution is a problem. Do you make multiple trips without letting the bike warm fully warm up? From my experience, fuel dilution is more of a problem with the air-cooled bikes when it is cool outside.

Hey, don't forget, it a Honda - you can't kill it regardless of how bad you abuse it
burnout.gif

The Amsoil 10W40 is a good choice. Don't forget about those heavy duty oils though, like Mobil Delvac 1300 or Shell Rotella T -- 15W40's. They make great bike oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back