How often to change oil on a quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My owners manual says every 90 days (Kawasaki).

My friends manual says every 100 miles(Honda).

I ride every weekend, average 100 miles or so per week.

I cant see going 90 days. I usually change the oil and filter every 5 rides or so. Depending on how dusty it has been. If I'm the leader I'l go the full 5 rides, if I'm following then it's more like every 2 rides.

A weekend at the dunes running 11,000 rpm and I'll change it after the weekend.

Too much or not enough?

01, kawasaki Mojave 250, water cooled.

No one bit on this one, so this is what I would do. I would put a good oil in it (like Rotella T or Delvac 1300) and run good filters and change the oil after every three months of riding. And clean or replace the air filter when it gets dirty.

The oil in my quads got changed every couple of years, maybe.

Since 1984 (yes, 19 eighty 4) they've been changed, oh, 5 times, *maybe*?

Both still run great. Honda and Suzuki. Honda TRX-350 and Suzuki LT-250E-F. Both were used in a farmette environment, which means 2 pre-teen males driving the snot out of them, crashing into trees, pulling scary scary loads of wood (thousands of pounds in trailers). They've been rolled, crashed, and up to the handlebars in snow, buried in mud, and generally abused like Honda never imagined was possible.

Eventually, the carb got so worn I put a carb kit in it that just puts OEM jets, etc.. back in.

Starts perfect.

You know what kind of repairs they've had?
The honda ate a fuel pump a few years ago and the suzuki needed two electrical items -- a starter rebuild kit and a new regulator/rectifier.

Yep.
That's it.

I believe the best way to measure oil life is in hours. The general rule for small engines is 25 hours between oil changes. Some small engines with oil filters and large sumps use 50 hours as an interval.

I suggest using 25 hours, as the engine probably has transmission gears lubricated by engine oil. Those gears do shear the oil and reduce it's life.

The local Yamaha dealer has a really nice digital hourmeter that works on any engine. They are available from various sources such as northern tool.

Chris

I hadn't though of going by hours.
pat.gif

My rides are usually at least 5 hours running time. 5 rides would be 25 hours.

Yes the oil lubes the trans, has a wet clutch too.

I try to run Motul synthetic oil in it when I can. The clutch works best with this oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back