yamaha v-star

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 20 yr old Suzuki GS1100GK. I use the Grand Prix Castrol 20w-50 MCycle oil in the summer (I have a UOA posted) and am currently using pennzoil 15w-40LL in it now ( for winter). When it is time for change I will post another UOA on the LL. I have had good luck with both so far. and yes, it is air-cooled.

honestly imo the yam 650 is very weak. i seen a modified 650 with a hypercharger and aftermarket pipes and jet kit, not even keep up to my kawasaki vn800B.
I think the yam looks great. but even the salesmen at my local yam shop said the 650's are dog's and they even wondered as to why yam would even make a cruiser in the mid-range area that small. where all the other makers are doing the 800cc thing. take a look at this link.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/cruiser_motorcycle_chart2.htm

thanks again guys for the input. i thought this thread was dead, but i see several newer post on my original question. yeah, it seems like eveyone i talk to says the v-star 650cc mill is kinda anemic. leaning towards a volusia w/the 805cc or the v-star 1100. thanks again.

That blue Suzuki 650 pictured above looks like it would be hard to beat on a tight windy road.
With a little suspension and engine work.....

Good news, I have a Vstar 650 the recommended oil to use is 10w40.I use GoldenSyncro4 at about 7.00 bucks a bottle,you only need 3 litres.that is how it is sold not quarts and yes I'm in the USA.Personnally I don't feel it is under powered but then it is not a crotch rocket either. It will do hiway speeds just fine and still have power left to go faster.It is a great cycle and very bulletproof.Any other questions feel free to e-mail me or visit yamahastarriders.com

quote:

several of my friends at work and myself are planning to purchace bikes this spring. we looked at the harley davidsons and they are much too expensive. we have deceided to get the yamaha v-star classics. very good looking motorcycles and probably very reliable as well. at least we hope so. yamahas basic warranty is 1 yr. the price of their yamalube is outrageous, more than alot of synthetics. i beleive the bike shares the motor oil w/ the clutch. it is shaft drive. should i let the dealer use the yamalube for the warranty period and then go to the amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil for japanese bikes which i beleive includes the japanese v-twins, or maybe the castrol grand prix 20w50? this bike is 650cc{40ci}. i would like any info as i don't want to pay up the kazoo for a "dealer oil". i already know about the "car oil as long as it's not energy conserving" argument, and i don't want to use a 15-40 fleet oil either. just some suggestions of a real good, non mobil 1 for v twins oil! will change every 2 thousand miles after the warranty period. thanks dudes!!!

Have you considered the HD Sportster? The 2004's engines are now shock mounted, as well as the bike now having a two year unlimited mileage warranty. The Sportsters start at around the same price as what your looking at. Also, while there's no complaints about the Yamaha's on my part, they, like all Japanese bikes, loose their value as soon as you drive out of the dealer's lot.

The HD Sportster would be a better investment.

I saw a 2004 Sportster 1200 Custom today, and boy what a beautiful bike. It was all black w/lots of chrome.

I know you don't want to hear this, but that air-cooled yama motor (I am assuming it is air-cooled like it's bigger brother) would work great with a HDEO 15w-40 like pennzoil LL. If it gets real hot in your area, that castrol 20w-50 GP oil works well, also. That is what I use in the summer here in Arkansas, where upper 90's low 100's are the norm in summer. I use the LL in the early spring and late fall when it gets in the low 40's in the AM. I too, change at 2k intervals.

gohack, i like the 1200 sportster as well. harley.com gives the 2 tone retail price in the 9,900 area. the local harley dealer gave a price of 12,000 out the door. i might be dumb, but i'm not stupid. these guys won't deal either. they know they can get that price. they say setup, freight, etc...bullshi-! lots of soldiers and saliors comming home from iraq or other deployments here in norfolk, virginia beach area with mad pocket money are willing to pay. hard to swallow, when the local suzuki dealer quoted a price of a 04' volusia as $7000 out the door with a helmet! penz

i might try looking at the sportsters in northeastern carolina or in a "non-military" area. the local dealers from what i'm told are all owned by the same people, so trying to get a better deal localy is probably a long shot. as long as people pay these vastly over retail prices for these bikes, i doubt you could ever get a new one for a suggested retail price. i know most folks wouldn't dream of paying the sticker price for a truck or car, why pay 2 thousand more than the sticker? they are beautiful though. are you willing to get screwed in the you know what for the harley expeience? i'm not so sure i am.....penz
cheers.gif

penzdude, many HD dealers sell for MSRP all over the country, also many sell for way over. Just call around. Depending on the area, you may have to travel.
Bobby

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:
gohack, i like the 1200 sportster as well. harley.com gives the 2 tone retail price in the 9,900 area. the local harley dealer gave a price of 12,000 out the door. i might be dumb, but i'm not stupid. these guys won't deal either. penz

In Arizona

1200 custom 2tone 9845
security system 275
freight 185
-----------------------
subtotal 10,305
prep?
8.25% sales tax 850
title & tag 370
----------------------
total 11,525 + prep

the 883 custom is about 2k cheaper.

I rode the new 883 custom about 2 weeks ago and it is a lot smoother than the old sportster. Useless rear view mirrors though. Could only see my shoulders and arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back