HD oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ID'd the maker of the HD TC88 oil filter? I run across a lot of tests and opinions concerning filter media, relief vales, anti-drain valves often listed by filter maker - the HD OEM filter is conspicously absent from all sites I have found (either as HD OEM or as a sub-contractor).

TIA
Rustler

Finally hit the wall ... asked Champ Labs about Beta and flow ratings on the HD filters. Here's the response:

quote:

Due to contract agreement with Harley Davidson, we are not allowed to give
that information out. You should be able to obtain this information from
Harley Davidson.

Thank you.

Dale Hayes
Technical Assistance
Representative

I posted a UOA a week or two ago on my my 1999 Road King running Mobil V Twin oil and a HD Premium filter. The analysis wasn't too bad so regardless of who makes them it seems to be an OK filter. These engines being air cooled have some pretty large tolerances and seem to be rather tolerant of oil/filter combinations. Besides if you want to be cool and have a chrome plated oil filter who else are you going to call?
patriot.gif

The HD premium filter uses a synthetic media and is a very good filter. It provides decent filtration and a good flow of oil. These engines don't care about oil pressure as much as volume. These engines need good flow.

I managed to pick up a case of HD premium filters last fall cheap on ebay, and just found some RedLine 15w-50 for under $5/qt with shipping. I figure I'll be set for at least 2 years now. I was gonna go with Amsoil, but for that price I couldn't say no. Plus, RedLine has shown some decent UOA's on the TC-88. We'll see what it does in my built-up EVO.

I think I might just cut one of these filters up to see what it's made of - oh, and I'll post the pics here for everybody to see.

[ November 10, 2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

welcome.gif
to the board Rustler.

Good question. I can say with a high degree of confidence that it is not a WIX filter ... that's what I am using and they don't look anything close to alike. (FWIW, the WIX appears to be a better filter with 5 micron nominal vs. 10 micron nominal and same flow rate according to customer service rep. The black is less expensive than the HD but the chrome is more expensive, unless you can find someone who sells them closer to a jobber's price.)

Baldwin/Hastings will not reveal for whom they do OE manufacturing (I've asked), but their own branded filters for the TC-88 have a nominal filtration of 20/22 microns, respectively, compared to HD's 10 micron nominal filtration, so that may rule them out unless they manufacture one to different specs.

So, who does that leave ... Champ Labs ... Purolator ... maybe one or two other manufacturers? I've got an e-mail in to Champ Labs and Purolator to see if it's them, but even if they do I would imagine their contract with HD would not allow them to publicize it. We'll see.

EDIT:

Well, lookie here ... while I was posting I got this e-mail:

quote:

Champion Laboratories, Inc. does manufacture some of the original equipment
Harley Davidson oil filters.

Dale
Tech Service
Representative

[ November 10, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: doyall ]

Medic

I us redline too, where did you find it for that price? I've been getting it at www.keith.mcbride.org he sells with free shipping. I can't remember what the case price was when I last ordered.

trivia: A net-friend was changing fluids, a family emergency pulled him away, next day he rode 250 miles and realized he had never refilled his tranny. Pulled the tranny cover plate off (clutch ramp access) and everything was still coated with the heavy shockproof gear oil we use in there, and no burned smell to the oil.

Doyall

Thanks, the filtration/flow rate of the WIX sounds good what aboutthe relief valve rating? HD relief valves are pretty low from what I've heard (Somewhere in the 6-8 psi area), of course that is net-rumor no hard data to back it up.

WIX, where can I get it?

EDIT: got a part number for the TC88 application?

[ November 11, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Rustler ]

Rustler, PN 51215 for black, 51225 for chrome. Relief valve is set at 7 - 9 psi. WIX service rep says it is the same as the HD branded one. Valve is even at the top of the WIX, just like on the HD one. Go to www.wixfilters.com and on the home page you can just put in your ZIP code and get a list of places who sell them.

quote:

Originally posted by Rustler:
I us redline too, where did you find it for that price?

I bought it from a site that was going out of business and liquidating their stock. I had ordered 10 quarts of 15w-50 (I wanted 20w-50 but they were already sold out of that), but got an email today stating that due to limited stock I would only be recieving 4 quarts for $21.85 with shipping - still not a bad deal ($5.50 / quart). I guess it'll be back to Amsoil after this run with Redline. I refuse to pay that much $$$ for any oil when there are oils that supply similar protection for a cheaper price.

**** '97FLHRI, the filters will fit physically but whether the super-premiums (and by association the WIX) have been approved for use on the Evo, I do not know. I haven't heard the MoCo caution against it. I suppose the only limitation would be whether the flow of the super-premium (and the WIX) is sufficient for the Evo. I do not have the flow data for the regular HD filters but as the Baldwin/Hastings filters for HD's with a 20/22 micron nominal fitration only flow at 4 - 5 gpm (per a Tech Rep), I can see no reason why the WIX at the same flow rate as the super-premuim would be too restrictive. BTW, the 51215/51225's are the short filters. I do not have numbers for the long ones.

[ November 19, 2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: doyall ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back