Redline MT-90 in Harley Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the following in three HD's.

Engine Fluid: Red Line 20W50
Primary Fluid: Red Line MTL (Manual Transmission Lube)
Tranny Fluid: Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil

keith.mcbride.org offers red line with free shipping (not affiliated etc etc)

I ran across a guy who was changing fluids, a family emergency pulled him away before he refilled the tranny. A day or so later he rode 250 miles before he remembered that he had not refilled the tranny - no problems, inside of tranny (what he could see after pulling clutch ramp housing) was still coated with residual oil and did not smell burnt.

Rustler

edit link to non site supporter,mark

[ November 10, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I've got some Shockproof Heavy I'm panning on using next change but I wonder whether the MT-90 might be a better choice as it is a GL-4 rated lube and shouldn't have the level of sulfur that the Heavy probably has. Of course, sulfur is an antagonist to yellow metals. Dave from Red Line emphatically says in an e-mail to me that the Heavy is safe for use in Harley trannys. Wonder what long-term use studies show? Maybe it is the type of sulfur product that is used in the Heavy, olefin sulfide (I take it that that is a type of sulfur, maybe synthetic?), or maybe it's the 4% calcuim in the Heavy that buffers the sulfur product. (Components and concentrations are from the MSDS's and Spec Sheets on Red Line's Australian web site.) Anybody know anything about this olefin sulfide stuff. The MT-90 MSDS shows it's significant EP constituient to be zinc at a concentration between 1 - 1.5%. Of course, the Harley Semi-Syn Trans Lube has no zinc per a VOA, so whether zinc is safe/appropriate for use in Harley trannys is another question.

Oh, the turmoil of finding appropriate substitutes to the overpriced Harley branded stuff.

I would go with Redline MT90. The MT90's TBN holds up well, and seems to be very shear resistant.

BTW, all the gear oils have about the same amount of sulfur, but are buffered via metal deactivators and the acids are held low by the basing chemicals.

Sulfur ranges from 0.5% to 0.75% in all oils.

[ November 10, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

FYI, the weak point of these transmissions is the main drive gear bearing. I have changed one of these in my old bike. It was still doing it's job, but it was obvious from the discoloration that this bearing had been quite warm at one point, and I already had the tranny apart so why not?

Harley did finally come up with a new bearing design an began using it in the 2003 models. It is interchangable with the older bikes, but with warehouses full of the old style, it is almost impossible to get one. Even my local HD dealer tried to sell me an old style bearing and stated that they couldn't get the newer style. The only thing the guy could do for me - "I guess you'll have to buy a new bike if you want a new bearing".

Would these oil recommendations be the same for a 1997 "Ultra Classic' with what I'm told is 1340 ECI engine that the owner said is "just too hot"? It's for the receptionists husband a very senior copper so I need to get this right for obvious reasons. What Amsoil, Mobil, Shell etc would also work well as RL is very expensive here?

Sprintman -
I would go with Amsoil for this application if you don't want the Redline. I haven't been overly impressed with Mobil1's motorcycle oils, and from what I understand, IMHO the shell advance is overpriced for what you actually get.

You can go 2 different ways - both recommended by Amsoil for this bike.

Amsoil 20w-50 (AMV) in all three cases
-or-
Amsoil 20w-50 (AMV) in the engine, 10w-40 (AMF) in the primary case, and Series 2000 75w-90 gear lube (AGR/TGR) in the transmission.

The best? Hard to say. However, I'm running exactly what Sprintman described and I'm very happy with the Amsoil. But I wouldn't have a problem using the Redline, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back