Winter Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to add some Oil throught the spark plug hole to Lube the Cylinder and was wondering which oil would be best for this. Should I get a straight weight 30 or 40 for this since it is thicker and might stick the the cylinder walls better? Thanks for the help

I never oil the cylinders. I only put my bikes away for 3 months (4 at the most, Minnesota ya know...) It's more important that the gas tank is full of stabilized fuel.

Road Rascal
I will not oil my cylinders. I am still riding. It is 35f when i ride to work and 75f when i go home. I will just add Sta-Bil sometime in Nov. Then i will ride when it gets warm (30f+).

I have a 3 month layup on my insurance plan. It saves me a ton of money. Otherwise I would/ could ride all year long (on the old ditch bomber of course
cool.gif
)

Use 15w-40 year-'round in the bike I ride.

Got to say, it is so fun to ride in winter.

The looks you get from people are priceless...
grin.gif

[ October 21, 2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Thanks for the replys. I think I am gonna go with a straight weight oil since i think that in the cold weather it would stick to the walls better. My bike will probably only be stored for about 2 to 3 months but i still want to add the oil in because it can't hurt anything it can only help, so way not. By the way, for those of you who do this, how much oil do you put down each cylinder. Tablespoon or Teaspoon? Thanks again

Just make sure you turn the engine over after you put in the oil. Otherwise you could hydro-lock it and or bend a rod. Then put back in the spark plugs.

JonS
Can you explain what HydroLock is. I am only going to add about a teaspoon and then hit the starter to turn it over a few times. I might even use the 2 stroke oil to instead like someone else mention. I also read about people spraying WD-40 into the cylinder instead of oil. What do you guys think about using WD-40 instead, Yes, or no good? Thanks for all you guys help.

quote:

Originally posted by SR77:
JonS
I also read about people spraying WD-40 into the cylinder instead of oil. What do you guys think about using WD-40 instead, Yes, or no good? Thanks for all you guys help.

I think that WD-40 would not leave much of a rust proofing after more than a few days.

Find you a boat shop and get some fogging oil, that will work for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
Just make sure you turn the engine over after you put in the oil. Otherwise you could hydro-lock it and or bend a rod. Then put back in the spark plugs.

It is when you have something extra (water, oil ect) in the combustion chamber and with the spark plug installed it can not make a full cycle because the volume is smaller now.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Marvel Mystery oil works great too!!!! Heck of a lot cheaper than fogging oil.

True, but how do you fog it? One of the advantages to fogging oil is that the application fogs the combustion chamber, coating everything. Pouring oil down the spark plug hole will coat the spark plug threads, and dribble onto the cylinder, and maybe spread out onto a bit of the cylinder wall and compression ring.

In the tank? Too dilute to really do any good as a corrosion preventative compound.

- Arved

Yes, my first two choices would be Marvel Mystery Oil and some type of 2-stroke oil.
dunno.gif

Turning over the engine with the spark plug removed to spread the oil is probably a good idea. Hydrolock is a theoretical concern ... but with most motors, a teaspoon/tablespoon of oil per cylinder is not going to be enough to cause that problem. It is most often associated with cars that have driven through sdeep puddles and have ingested ounces of water.
shocked.gif

--- Bror Jace

I usually just use whatever oil i have laying around to fog but this year i bought some fogging oil at a automotive store, made my eagle one (the makers of stabil). My opinion is to buy fogging oil, the stuff is really cheap, also only a couple dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back