synthetic in british bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use amsoil in my 78 BMW but what about a 75 Norton? these bikes are designed to leak oil (so you don't have to change it as often). how do you think a freshly rebuild motor would do on amsoil vtwin 20-50 (this is what's in my Beemer)?

thanks
-jason

Who was the first man on the moon?
What was General Custards middle name?
Who won the last 4 tour de France bicycle races?
Who is going to be the person first to try Amsiol in a Norton?
dunno.gif

I can tell you this, it won't ruin the engine, so why not give it a shot, if it leaks too much just go back to conventional.

BTW Amsoil works well in my British bike, 2002 Triumph Sprint ST

[ October 16, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

I wouldn't waste my $$$ on synthetic in a frsh rebuild d/t the fact that I would drain it out after 100 miles, 500 miles after that, and then 1000 after that.

After the initial break in period, I would have no problem running synthetic - not to mention, if the rebuilder was good, he would've found any high or low spots, corrected them, and your engine wouldn't leak. To quote the guy that rebuilt my harley "I don't build oil leakers".

BTW, he swears by Spectro HD 20w-50 non sythetic. He runs this in his race bikes and he said, after many different brands tried, the engines show the least wear for usage with Spectro - no UOA's, just micrometer readings. Does this have any bearings on the average over-the-road bike? I imagine not
wink.gif

Sorry for the late post, don't often get here.

I've been running Mobil 1 20W-50 and now 15W-50 for a couple of years in my '75 Norton. Just switched with no prep work. No issues, and I "feel" like having synthetic is a good thing for air cooled motors. Have no temp gauge so can't speak to facts.

BTW, I also run it in my primary chain case, and the M1 gear oil in the tranny as well.

The engine cases have never been apart (fingers crossed) and while there is the typical British "marking of one's territory", it's no worse than it was with regular dino oil.

Finally, belong to the International Norton Owner's Association (INOA)? Their web site is just www.inoanorton.com

[ October 28, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: lee ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back