66' Sportster XLCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil would you recomend for a 1966 Harley Sporster XLCH. This bike is just getting finished from a long rebuild. What oil should it be broken in with? what should i use after that? The previous owner used valvoline 50 weight
mad.gif
which is probably why the engine was worn out. Thanks for your suggestions.
Dipstick01

Any good quality name brand 20w-50 can be used. either use the Motor Companies Oil, or one of the popular name brands. Straight 50w was used in many HD's, but I would go with teh 20w-50, and in my own humble opinion, it wouldn't be Valvoline...

I'd put in Mobil 1 15-50 after the break-in period! Amsoil would be another good choice but you do not need to use a motorcycle only oil since the motor does not share the oil with the tranny/clutch.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dipstick01:
What oil would you recomend for a 1966 Harley Sporster XLCH. This bike is just getting finished from a long rebuild. What oil should it be broken in with? what should i use after that? The previous owner used valvoline 50 weight
mad.gif
which is probably why the engine was worn out. Thanks for your suggestions.
Dipstick01

Harley calls for 50-weight oil, right? Did you rebuild the engine to factory specifications?

If so, I'd pick Mobil1 15w-50...in terms of protection/performance, it will soundly kick the butt of any mineral 20w-50.

Congrats on finishing the rebuild!

I've rebuilt several bikes of various makes(all air cooled) and I have always used 15W-40 diesel oils for the break in. Never a problem. After breakin I use the M1 15W-50 red cap. I've never done a UOA on them but the bikes have always run cool and smooth.

Did you do the rebuild or was it done professionally? If you had somebody else did it, what do they recommend?

I would use a Harley 20w-50 or a similar dino for the break in period. Change this oil out after the first hundred miles or so, then drain the next oil after another 500 miles, then after 2000 miles. After this you can go with whatever kind of oil you would prefer.

And use a new filter for evey change. (I think this year bike had a filter?)

I think these had those in the tank camel fur type filters. Almost next to nothing in filtering ability but most people wouldn't put on enough miles on an XLCH for it to matter. You can install aftermarket spin on bypass filters if you are goin to be putting on like 10,000 miles a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back