M1 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I have started running M1 5W30 in my drag bike and have noticed an improvement in the way the bike rev's and clutch feel. Is anyone else using these thin oils in the bikes? I know of others with street bikes that use the M1 5W30 and report cooler oil temps.

Thanks
KW

Mobil 1 0W-40 in my 2003 Suzuki Burgman AN400K3. Single-cylinder 385cc SOHC 'maxi-scooter' auto-clutch (dry, doesn't run in engine oil) CVT. (transmission doesn't share engine oil)

Phil
Live Oak, FL

Post some UOA's and then I'll tell you what I think of thin oils in a bike.

Without facts you have nothing but speculation.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
Post some UOA's and then I'll tell you what I think of thin oils in a bike.

Without facts you have nothing but speculation.

I am speculating anything. A UOA would likely show nothing but clutch in it. As I mentioned in the original post it is a drag bike. The dyno shows almost a five horsepower increase over the 20W50 oil I was using.

Test the oil after it has only ran for a few six second passes.
rolleyes.gif

KW, Mobil 1 5W30 is formulated on the thin side and the reduced hydrodynamic drag alone could account for the power pick up. Some of it may also be the greater amount of friction modifiers M1 is using in their SuperSyn.

Does this bike share a sump between the motor and tranny? If they are separate, that allows you to run nearly anything in the motor without worrying about clutch slippage or any shifting problems.

Red Line Oil and others have some extremely thin racing oils which might give you a couple more ponies even above and beyond what you're getting with M1 SS.

How serious of a racer are you? Do you mind the extra wear you will likely experience by running this extra-thin oils?

--- Bror Jace

It's a Suzuki Bandit with a 1216 air-oil motor, so the clutch, transmission and motor all share the same oil. I have a lock up clutch to help me from riding through the clutch.

I don't know if I am getting any extra wear because the motor never really gets hot. Just a start-up, burn out, an 1/8 mile pass and a ride up the return road.

I know of a few other Bandits and a few Busa's that use the M1 5W30 on the street and track with good luck. I think on the road on a good hot day might be pushing it a little.

This is my first time to try the M1 in the bike and I like the way it fires up fast and rev's faster. But I might do a 50/50 mix with 15W50 next time just to be sure the cams stay healthy.

I ran M1 10w-30 in my old Honda VFR for 51,000 miles and then for 30,000 miles in my present VFR. The oil seemed to work fine but I never did oil analysis on it. I had no trouble with clutch slipping either. Do you?

I now run Delvac 5w-40 which sheared to 30-weight in 1,000 miles.

I also ran M1 10w-30 in my Honda Civic's manual tranny for 136,000 miles. No trouble there either.

I tried the 10/30 mobil 1 a few years back in my 00 kx250 when it was cool out. I had no issues with clutch slippage heavy sand riding on the gas. I hear the energy conserving oils will make your clutch slip,but I beg to differ. I am testing the mobil delvac 1300 s so far so good the 15/50 and their mx4t 10/40 work excellent also,but dropping my tranny oil every 2 rides is becoming a little expensive..

Keith,
00,03 KX250

[ September 22, 2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: KX 455 ]

I think it depends on the bike for clutch slippage. I had an XR 200 that would slip the cluth on regulat M1 but went to the M1 10w40 motorcycle oil and it works good.

I did a little test with motorcycle engine oils.
After a few hard rides, I noticed the oil was quite black. If I drained the oil and let it sit for a week or two, the clutch material would settle out, leaving the oil a lot more clear.
When switching to a lighter oil, I noticed less clouding from clutch material and the oil staying transparent longer.
When testing very heavy lubes in 2-stroke transmissions, the clutches got very hot and the oil blackened quickly.
I'm sure that in 4-stroke engines, the engine would enjoy less clutch material in the oil.
In the above drag race application, I doubt if the engine/transmission oil ever gets over 180F.
At that temperature, an SAE 20 HDMO should have a viscosity of around 11-13cSt.
Perfect for both the clutch and engine at $1.50 a litre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back