Sport-Trans Fluid vs. Mobil 1 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem.

What is frustrating is how some guy writes an article and has no idea of the current technology. Most that do, are just regurgitating old and outdated mis information many times.

[ October 03, 2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

It was the folks from Mobil that said "no moly." They said that is why they didn't recommend 15w50 in the chain case. The V-Twin has no moly per the VOA posted in the article.

It was just recently, when they came out with the new supersyn oil, they just starting to use, get this, moly. They have very little experience with soluble moly. All they got to go by is what their logical cubical engineer expertise might make sense to them but in the real world, now that they are using moly in their oil, they will eventually figure out, what it is and isn't affecting.

I believe a company that has been in business much longer than mobil and one that has been using moly longer than some that has been in business before I believe mobil and their theories about something they hadn't been using until just recently.

Well, after looking at all the evidence that was provided by all you good folks and comparing various lubricants, I decided to try the 75W-90 M1 gear lube. (No offense Bob. I do believe you about soluble moly not effecting clutches. I just had the M1 in my garage already.)
I drained out the Sport-trans fluid and put in the M1 last night. No adjustment to the clutch.
I really did not think that just changing a transmission lube would make a big difference in performance. I was looking more for availability and protection.
I took the bike for a nice hard run today and HOLY MACKREL, what a difference! The change in shifting is too great to be a placebo. Crisp shifting, no missed gears, no clutch slipping, and neutral is much easier to find. We will see after a few thousand miles if any damage is done, but so far so good. I will keep you posted on the outcome, good or bad.

No offense taken Gary. I don't have a problem with people running a good quality oil. I was just trying to help clear up a mistaken mis conception. I know that a good gear oil will do as you described. I was having shift misses from 1-2nd as my extended controls where slightly higher and needed to really pull up to get it past neutral. When I switched it over the the schaeffers, I've not had any more missed shifts as well.

Hope you enjoy the ride.
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back