AMSOIL new 2 stroke oil for Power valve motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the newsletter and was interested in what the AMSOIL guys know about the new oil. I think it's called intruder or interceptor, something like that. They did a couple tests on snowmobile fleets. Sounds like it falls between AIO and Series 2000 racing oil. Price is only a little higher than the AIO.
I've been using AIO in my ROTAX powered PWC's this summer and it does keep the power valves pretty clean. 1 Rotary valve, One reed motor and one with the Orbital Direct injection set up.
Quakerstate also just released a new oil that is supposed to be "High performance" synthetic snowmobile/PWC oil. USe where the manufacturer "Calls for API-TC or JASO-FC oils"
Price is unclear and reports range from $2.99 qt to $6.99. BOMBARDIER name brand oil is right around $35 a gallon. That is why I tried the AIO at closer to $20 a gallon.
I hear that the amonia odor indicates the ashless detergent package. AIO has it, but their tech support says it is LOW ASH.
Help clear this up for me.

Blano;
I thought I read in one of your posts that you own a Honda CR500.
I've seen a few for sale around here, and I know that they have hardly been used.
I have a 02 XR650R, pipe ect, but the bike is a pig.
What do you think of the 500CR?
I need something that will scare me before I'm too old.

Oil question just to keep on topic.
Is the mobil MX2T EG-D and an ester?
I've been using Shell's EG-D, which is a mystry, but it works at 42:1 very well in about everything I've tried it in.

"AIO has it, but their tech support says it is LOW ASH.
Help clear this up for me."
AIO is ashless and amsoil tech support doesnt know their butts from a hole in the ground when it comes to two cycle oils.

I actaully have a cr500 motor stuffed into a 02 cr250 frame. The conversion was done by Service Hinda in Hammond, Indiana. this bike absolutley rips. Weighs the same as a 01-02 and less than a 97-99 cr 250 with way more power.
Mobil MX2T is indeed ester based. I actually tried some shell advance this summer as I live in Canada in the summer months. I like MX2T better. Burns cleaner and has a better odor. Nowing shell I bet advance is a group 3 oil.

I read a magazine article last year where a shop in NY, I think was doing those conversions.
A "Service Honda" engine in an 02 CR250.
I thought that the 01 frame might be stiffer/better. I see the 04 CR250F has 27.5 degree head angle.
I guess Honda didn't learn anything from the 450F.
I looked for the Mobil MX2T, but nobody has it.
I found the Shell stuff priced wrong at Cannuck tire for $3.50/litre which converts to about $2.50 USD/qt.
Remember about 4 months ago I stated that EG-D lubes smoke a bit more than some other grades of 2-stroke?
Ok, that was the Shell stuff.
The engines looked good inside in 01 CR125, 02 CR125, 03 RM250, 03 YZ125.
edit: are you near Lake of the Woods Ontario in summer?

[ September 16, 2003, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Where are all the AMSOIL experts?
I admit it is confusing when you get conflicting reports from their Tech guys.
Based on the smell I'm guessing that AIO is ashless as you say. Do you have any confirmation on that? Just curious.
I'm betting that the new Interceptor oil is LOW ASH. Meaning they are using a detergent additive package that is better suited for the high heat, high load power valve motors.
In teh newsletter they do reference JASO specs not just API-TC and TWC III.

[ September 17, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Gypsy ]

"are you near Lake of the Woods Ontario in summer?"
Yes, I am about 28 miles east of Kenora.

quote:

A "Service Honda" engine in an 02 CR250.
I thought that the 01 frame might be stiffer/better.
I looked for the Mobil MX2T, but nobody has it.

The 97 - 01s CR 250s frames were spine breakers, way too stiff.

PRO Honda HP2 = MX2T, You didn't hear that from me.

As far as Amsoil Interceptor oil the word I got is its a trail bike oil. For a Hi Performance race bike if you run Ansoil, 2000 seems to work good. I just helped a guy top end a vet class YZ 250 ran on amsoil 2000 at 40:1 and it looked good. But I would like to see it ran at 32:1

32:1 will make more power than 40:1 because it seals the ring(s) better.

Right now I'am testing MX2T at 32:1 so far I like it.

Gypsy,

This new two stroke oil is the preferred Amsoil product for all engines usiing exhaust power valves in recreational use. AIO is still fine for older engine designs, but it isn't going to provide the same degree of cleanliness. The Series 2000 oil (used in injection systems or as a 50:1 premix) is the preferred product for competitive racing applications.

Comparing the interceptor oil to the Series 2000, the new stuff is approx $5.00 less per gallon. I also think the interceptor oil will provide better cleaninless if you arent' running flat out all the time, for example doing slow touring on a sled or just cruising slowly on a jetski.

I want to add again that the mix ratio of the Series 2000 as a premix is 50:1, not 32:1 or even 40:1. This is true regardless of the manufacturers recommended mix ratio. If you mix this stuff too rich you will not get the same performance and cleanliness.

TooSlick

"I want to add again that the mix ratio of the Series 2000 as a premix is 50:1, not 32:1 or even 40:1. This is true regardless of the manufacturers recommended mix ratio. If you mix this stuff too rich you will not get the same performance and cleanliness."

IF THE OIL WAS WORTH A DARN YOU WOULD!

Actually He might be right Blano.
As long as your just putting around, 50:1 should be OK. (and you might as well use buck a quart TC)
PS, I got out my old canoeing maps. I'm guessing Dogtooth.

The interceptor has a lower flash point I bet!!!! That is one of the reasons it runs cleaner.I agree it looks like a oil for riders who are not on the gas hard. As for running amsoil 2000 series at 50:1 I ran it, the crank was coated beautifully,but I did not like wear characteristics of the top end. I do believe the amsoil is a excellent oil,but where do they get off at recommending 50:1. I would run it at 40:1 FOR A 250 AND 32:1 FOR 125's and 80's. Their is just too many variables to consider, rider ability, average rpm the motor is going to see .I do not believe in the 50:1 theory. Run 50:1 in a 80 with a A rider on board POPPY COCK!!!!!

Keith,
00,03KX250

[ September 23, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: KX 455 ]

"I'm guessing Dogtooth"
Dogtooth is two lakes down from ours.

KX455, Keep in mind flashpoint is only measured for shipping purposes and is no way indicative of theoils fire temp or endpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back