Wheelies, Stoppies--Lubrication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

I downloaded a trailer to the Judgement Day 2 movie and was just awestuck at the amazing wheelies and stoppies. Do motorcycle engines get oil under these circumstances? Is it a bad idea to buy a used bike from somebody who can wheelie high enough to drag the tailpiece or stoppie for 500 ft?
grin.gif

Yes, most all bikes have a dry sump lubrication system. that means there is a separate tank filled with oil somewhere on the bike. the oil gets pumped from the tank, to all the moving parts, then back to the tank. the oil tank is filled about 3/4 of the way full,and usually hold about a gallon. so uncovering the tube it the bottem does't happen.
burnout.gif

Dipstick01

quote:

Originally posted by dipstick01:
Yes, most all bikes have a dry sump lubrication system.

Really? What do you mean by "most all bikes"?

Harleys are dry sump. But almost all Japanese street bikes (both cruisers & sporties) are wet sump.

Yeah i'm pretty sure modern sportbikes can handle the abuse that stunters induce on them. I heard that the early cbr 900's (the first couple years of the smaller 900 engine) were prone to having engine damage from lack of lubrication.

The first ''wheelie all day with no experiance'' bikes were the XR 500 and the TT 500 - the XR had a wet sump and would sieze,the TT was dry sump and could really wheelie all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back