15w-50 oil change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 months or 2000 miles seems like the max. to me on this stuff.
wink.gif

2000 miles? thats all? not disagreeing with you but my manual for my bike says to change it every 8k, and thats with dino oil? hmm

quote:

Originally posted by trey:
How often or how many miles do you guys run your 15w-50 in your bikes? i use it in my honda 929 sportbike

I use it and plan to run it for 5k to 10k miles in my modified Magna depending on how long it lasts. Still waiting for the first UOA results.

When it starts shifting poorly you will know it is done. Used oil analysis has not been kind to oil in a bike. One test of Redline and one of Amsoil have looked very good, not much else seems to go very far. I am using the Mobil 1 bike oil now but at the 2k mark it is not shifting as well in an F-3. Going to drain 2 of the 4 quarts out and replace with the 15-50 stuff to see if this combo works better. If this does not produce the next oil I will try is Amsoil. The Castrol R-4 looks interesting but is not suited for extended drains and is costly. The high reving and the tranny just seem to shred oil. Would not use anything but full synthetic in a sportbike.

Hmm, i guess now that u mentioned it, the clutch seems a bit sticker when i shift, its not a problem but is this right?

quote:

How often or how many miles do you guys run your 15w-50 in your bikes? i use it in my honda 929 sportbike

I finally posted that UOA on 15w50 red cap in my '99 Magna. At 3000 miles it looked pretty good, TBN still > 10 with little to no viscosity shear. I'm still running this oil.

This engine is Honda's 750cc V-4 and I have various performance mods. It tachs to 11,000 RPM and puts down about 85 RWHP SAE on the dyno. Not quite in the same league as your 929 but enough to be tough on oil.

Hey thanks for the reply mrc, i changed mine out at 2800, i was bored. I put in the mobil 1 mx4t stuff, i hope this stuff works as good as the 15w-50.

quote:

I put in the mobil 1 mx4t stuff, i hope this stuff works as good as the 15w-50.

I sure hope so. For the price it should work twice as well!
rolleyes.gif

On my BMW I did 1 year or 10,000 miles whichever came first, Though it has a seperate trans and engine lube.

On my Triumph Sprint, I"m doing what the book says which is 6,000 miles for now. Though I only have 5,000 on the bike which will be only 3,000 on the oil here in 800 miles.

Next weekend, I'll be going full synthetic Amsoil at which time my next change will be at 12,000. I'll have the oil analyized to see how it holds up.

One think about the trans/engine combo, the gears tend to shear the oil 1 or more grades. So I want to be sure that the oil is holding up good before I do any extended drains. Hopefully things will be good and I'll be able to go farther on my next change. I'd like to do about 10,000 or 1 year witht he trumpet as well. Though we will see.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
When it starts shifting poorly you will know it is done.

FYI I ran Delo 400 for about 1500 miles when it started shifting bad, was not compatible with the engine/trans in this bike.
crushedcar.gif

Next change I'm thinking either 10w40 or 15w40. Though in the summer I might do 20w50?
dunno.gif
I don't know though for sure, will see what the analysis says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back