mobil 1 mx4t changing to delvac 15/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 00 kx 250 and a 03 kx 250.I have been using mobil 1 15/50 car oil since 98 in my 98 kx 250. I have tested a lot of brand name motorcyle oils and non motorcycle oils.Now this is not a scientific test just hardcore performance testing. I get the best shift's with the mobil 15/50 before they came out with the mx4t. I ride at the local track with heavy sand my shift's are consistent and smooth with the mobil 15/50 and mx4t. The sand is a good test because of the drag and resistance ,my shifts are made with full throttle and a slip of the clutch after many laps.My cases were split on my 98 before I sold it THE GEAR SETS looked beautiful the shift forks had no wear marks what so ever,2 hard years on this tranny. I replaced the clutch 1 time and the basket.Getting to my point other oils would resist a powershift in the sand after I started cutting some heavy laps and I tested a lot of big name brand mc specific oils.I have been using the mx4t in my 00 and 03 kx 250 the only reason I changed is because of the higher levels of phosphorus and zinc levels,in the mx4t. The oil is a excellent performer just like the 15/50,but at 7.00 a bottle changing my oil every 2 rides is getting a little expensive.I went to walmart last night and have decided to try the delvac 1300 super at 5.88 a gallon.From what I am understanding it is a great alternative. I know it is not syntehtic,but from what I have been reading the shear stability is excellent. I will post my results.

Keith.

LET'S JUST RIDE.
00,03kx250

[ August 29, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: KX 455 ]

KX455, Thanks for the post. Your experience with Mobil 1 15W-50 and MX4T are reassuring, because after researching I'm going to use MX4T in my Honda VL600/after it's breakin period. The two oils I'm considering after it goes out of warranty is Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 15W-50 "RedCap". I'm looking forward to your report.

I switched 5 MX bikes over to a commercial truck manual transmission oil and solved all of the full power and notchy shifting.
Forget the zink, it does not help shifting.\You have to reduce gear traction.
Chevron's trans esi 40 at $2.00 qt, but not their synthetic 50, wrong additive.
Exxon SGO 50, Gulf syn 50 ect with barium.
Don't worry about the clutch, a little slipage helps the traction instead of clutching.
Stock clutches suck anyway. Put in something decent with steel plates.

You are absolutly right. Delvac will work ok and cause no problems.
MX riders likely shift 20 times more often than most street riders.
When shifting under power the gears have to be pulled out of mesh with a lot of force.
Very good riders can unload the engine and shift very quickly, but they never win races shifting like that.
MX riders are trying to do 10 things at once, and as a result are 10 times the rider most street guys are.
Road riders eventually figure out how to counter-steer.
Most riders talk a good ride, but their chicken strips usually tell the story.
Chicken strips are the un-used portion of the of the tread on the side of the tires.
The wider the chicken strips, the bigger the BSer.

I put 2 day's in a row with the delvac 1300 at 2 different tracks same oil. The delvac 1300 performs as well as the mx4t.I was getting good clean consistent shift's all day long ,the clutch did not fade . I love the way mx4t keeps the clutch from heating up and not having to adjust the play in the lever.The delvac is just the same!!!!!! The gear changes did not refuse 1 time like I said all day long.... I am very happy with this oil especially the price. Userfriendly I do not want the added phosphorus and zinc because of the better shift's I want the added protection incase things get a little hairy in their. I have to disagree on the comment you said about oem clutches suck . Infact oem drive and fiber plates can't be beat along with the springs. The kx does have steel plates, also the only difference between steel and alum is the alum will turn the oil quicker and the alum will give the effects of a lighter flywheel effect.. Now a after market clutch basket like hinson is definetly better than the oem basket. But back to the original topic this oil is a great performer at a great price. Thanks for the reply's to everyone!!!!!

Keith 455
"LET'S JUST RIDE"
00,03KX250

I just have to laugh at this.

Implying road riders have no skill because they have "chiken strips" is a joke.

Save the bravado for the track. The road is no place to prove anything but that you have fun riding.

What are you thinking???

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:

MX riders are trying to do 10 things at once, and as a result are 10 times the rider most street guys are.
Road riders eventually figure out how to counter-steer.
Most riders talk a good ride, but their chicken strips usually tell the story.
Chicken strips are the un-used portion of the of the tread on the side of the tires.

Yea your right.
Some peoples idea of having fun is going straight down a 4 lane highway.
I guess power should be capped at 35HP for motorcycles, 60HP for cars, 80HP for SUVs, and 100HP for pick-ups less than 3/4 ton.
That way all the bravado can be left for the track.
Just think how much safer the roads would be.

quote:

Yes we all know the posers with sport bikes with the aftermarket super wide tires with 2 inch chicken strips on each side
dunno.gif

But before judging a rider on his chicken strips, know that the sword cuts both ways.

Chicken strips are on the tires of guys who commute on their bikes every day and put 10,000+ miles per year with high 6 figures of mileage and many years of experience on the road, still alive with no crashes because they have good judgement and don't ride beyond their abilities.

The guys with no chicken strips are often the ones who put about 100 miles per month on their brand new sport bikes, riding beyond their ability on the street. Every week I see one or two of these guys being driven off in an ambulance while their bike goes home in pieces in the back of a tow truck.

Then there are experienced riders who take their bikes to the track to have fun going fast in a safe and legal manner. They don't have chicken strips either.

Given the above, it's impossible to judge a rider by chicken strips alone.

[ August 30, 2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: MRC01 ]

You hit the nail on the head.
With the high HP bikes out there runnin' around, there is a lot of un-intended tire spin that can ruin a good $port tire in a few weeks.
My hopped-up geared down BRP (02 XR650R) is like that.
I never get lost in the woods. I just follow my spin marks home or back to the truck.
400 miles to the tire, with the chicken strips still like brand new.

I used to see Delvac 15W50. Has that oil been pulled?

userfriendly,

Some peoples idea of having fun is riding motorcycles with less than 35 Hp.

Get it?

-

quote:

Yea your right.
Some peoples idea of having fun is going straight down a 4 lane highway.
I guess power should be capped at 35HP for motorcycles, 60HP for cars, 80HP for SUVs, and 100HP for pick-ups less than 3/4 ton.
That way all the bravado can be left for the track.
Just think how much safer the roads would be.

Satterfi;
That is called internet trolling.
I'll post an idiot comment and see who responds.
Its sorta' like fishing.
Trolling is not a big problem on boards like these where a member has to log on, their IP adresses recorded and posts moderated.
Quite often I'll throw some bait out to see if anyone responds or just to get a topic rolling.
Flaming is a personal stab.
I've caught myself posting those once in a while with a comment like "come on guys, this ain't rocket science", or "is this stuff over your heads guys?".
Internet posting on discussion boards takes a little practice.
Posting with tact is not one of my better qualties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back