30w oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which 30w is the best overall, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil drive clean. I can't decide
banghead.gif

I would think for a bike you would not want moly. I think that the Pennzoil has moly. Otherwise the Castrol and Valvoline are the thinnest of your list. Are you planning on using straight 30w in your bike? My 78 Honda says i can, but i don't know about the new SL formulation. When the bike was made, i think they were at SF, which would have more Zinc, and other stuff. What bike do you have?

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I would think for a bike you would not want moly. I think that the Pennzoil has moly. Otherwise the Castrol and Valvoline are the thinnest of your list. Are you planning on using straight 30w in your bike? My 78 Honda says i can, but i don't know about the new SL formulation. When the bike was made, i think they were at SF, which would have more Zinc, and other stuff. What bike do you have?

The newer water cooled Honda street bikes allow 10w30 in the winter and 20w50 in the summer but they recommend 10w40 all around.

Does this mystery bike actually recommend 30 weight as the oil? You probably want to use a non-energy conserving oil and it's hard to find a non-energy conserving 30 weight.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
There is a better class of dipsticks here in the motorcycle forum.
cheers.gif

We all get along especially when we've been drinkin'
twak.gif

We always agree with each other
itschy.gif

Because we're cool
cool.gif

Let us take a stab at your question.
What paticular properties are you looking for in an SAE 30 and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back