Shared oil sump recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of the statistics maybe you hare heard about. I'm a baby-boomer with kids going, going, gone and I've done something for myself for a change. I just purchased a new (2002) Honda Shadow VLX (600 cc with a wet clutch and the oil is shared with the transmission) and I'm looking for recommendations from this group for oil for this bike.

The dealer filled it with GN4, which is in it now. I've been researching, and I know I won't use Honda GN4 or HP4. I'm aware of Honda's recommendation to not use oil with Moly because of the wet clutch. I have concerns about shearing issues with the shared transmission, so some of the oils I am considering are what I consider to be of the 'heavy duty' variety: Chevron Delo 400 15W-40, Delvac1 5W-40 and Delvac 1300 15W-40. I considered Mobil 1 MXT4, but do not feel the cost is warranted due a UOA I saw.

From the owner's manual:
Oil Recommendation
API Classification: SF or SG
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
Suggested Oil: Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 4-stroke oil or an equivalent motorcycle oil. Do not use non-detergent, vegetable, or castor based racing oils.

(The temperature chart suggests I could run either 10W-40, 20W-40 or 20W-50.)

Yeah, I know what they say opinions, but I respect the vast amount of knowledge that frequents this site and I would like to know, what do you think and why?

If cost is an issue,

But you still want good protection, take a look at Amsoil PCO which is a semi-syn diesel rated oil. I currently have about 3000 miles on this oil on my 2002 Triumph ST (955cc)It works great! I extremely pleased with the shifting, and the engine performance.(Though I will be going full synthetic on my next change)
The PCO runs about $4.15 a quart retail.

I had confirmed through Amsoil that this oil does not contain any of the friction modifiers associate with wet clutch malfunction

The full synthetic AME(diesel oil) is also Friction Modifier free, and is just slightly more expensive at $5.20/qt retail

Though I don't plan to do any analysis on my current oil change I have full confidence that the Semi-syn Amsoil PCO is a great oil for motorcycles and older diesels where someone doens't want to pay a higher price or run longer drains.

quote:

Originally posted by Woody:
Yeah, I know what they say opinions, but I respect the vast amount of knowledge that frequents this site and I would like to know, what do you think and why?

I'd use either Amsoil 10w40 or Mobil 1 ss 15w50, whichever is more easily available. Also the diesel oils and Rotella are good choices according to what I've read but I've personally never tried them yet. Currently I'm using Mobil 1 ss 15w50 in my lightly modded '99 Honda Magna 750 and will be posting my first UOA as soon as I get the results.

You could also use any group II 10w40 dino juice as long as it's not an energy conserving oil (most aren't). If you're gonna change it every 2-4k miles you might as well save yourself some $$$.

What is wrong with the GN4? Isn't this what is recommended? I would not use any auto oil that is SJ or SL such as the Delo 400. I am using 10w-40 Torco dino in my Honda. I was planning to go with the GN4 next time. I figure Honda must know what they are doing. What about your warranty by using an auto oil? How do you like the 600? Does it have enough power?

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
What is wrong with the GN4? Isn't this what is recommended? I would not use any auto oil that is SJ or SL such as the Delo 400. I am using 10w-40 Torco dino in my Honda. I was planning to go with the GN4 next time. I figure Honda must know what they are doing. What about your warranty by using an auto oil? How do you like the 600? Does it have enough power?

Nothing wrong with GN4, just overpriced for what you get (like many oils specifically branded and labeled for motorbikes). It's a group II dino that costs the same as a group IV syn.

The warranty is not an issue. Honda recommends any 10w30 to 20w50 oil that is not energy conserving and is SG/SH. Later API ratings like SJ/SL are considered backward compatible for warranty purposes. Most 10w40 and 20w50 oils aren't energy conserving anyway so this gives a lot of options.

That particular bike doesn't run high RPM or high compression and is water cooled so you have a lot of options regarding oil.

I owe an apology to everyone on this forum; I did not search far enough before I posted my question. I've found answers to most of my questions in previous posts.

I have chosen Motul 3000 oil to use in my bike, at least during the breakin period. After that, I'm planning to go to Motul 5100. Right now, the bike only has 21 miles on it, but the fill from the dealer mades me wonder what they used (they said they used GN). It is a very light color and appears very thin. When the bike is running it seems to have a lot of engine noise. I'm changing the oil and filter no later than this weekend. I'm planning to do a UOA on the Motul 3100 when I change it, but I'm not sure when that will be yet. I'll keep you posted.

JonS:
> What is wrong with the GN4? Isn't this what is recommended?
Take a look at this UOA:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000193

> I would not use any auto oil that is SJ or SL such as the Delo 400.
> What about your warranty by using an auto oil?
You know, you are right about the warranty. I had a brain cramp for some reason; maybe it was a senior moment.

> How do you like the 600? Does it have enough power?
It has all the power I need right now. I'm re-learning how to ride after 25+ years. The wife and I are talking about her taking this bike later, after she learns to ride, and I'll get a bigger one. No, not a Valkyrie Rune but they sure make me drool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back