Sport Rider Oct. 03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has a great oil article. It goes very in depth and is an easy read for oil novices. They test several brands and what they all contain. Great explanation about oil analysis and what is accomplished by doing them. Well worth the $3.99 cover price. That and we get to see the new Buells too
smile.gif

I haven't seen the article, but it was discussed some on the vfr email list, with the resident oil expert dismissing the article as poorly researched and strewn with errors. And this guy is a retired petro-chemical engineer.
I realize that this board is littered with resident oil experts, but when this guy talks, I tend to listen.
Ed
1998 VFR 800
2002 9-5 Aero SW

I bought the issue just to read the article. The lab analysis was performed by Analysts Inc. of Norcross, GA. Does anyone have experience with this lab?

The Honda HP4 oil, which is not supposed to contain any moly, contains 71 ppm. The Mobil 1 automobile oil, stated as 15W-50 in the chart on page 72, I believe is the “Red Cap” Mobil 1 that is so heavily touted by many motorcyclists as working fine with a wet clutch. It shows “Red Cap” Mobil 1 contains 92 ppm of moly. Hmmmm.

I didn't mean to imply in my original post that "my" resident oil expert found errors in the data presented in the Sport Rider article. He said that it contained errors in explanations and conclusions.
Quadrun1, I'm still using SAAB semi-synth in the Aero. I had an analysis done with the 20,000 mile change. I wish I was smart enough to get the pdf posted, but I'll probably have to type in the results to post on the used oil analysis board. Maybe this weekend. In the VFR, I've been using Honda's dino oil. Haven't done any analysis of it.
ED
2002 Aero SW
1998 VFR 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back