Engine sitting too long

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say go for it!

I'd still pull the carbs and give them a cleaning.

As is said above, this will get you mechanically inclined.

Don't even think about running on the old tires though, but that will be later.

Schmoe,

For the engine and tranny, I'd start with a Neutra cleaning of the carbs, and pour some Lube Control into the plug holes and let soak, then try to turn the crank.

Fill the the crankcase with Lube Control to dissolve any rust and carbon buildup, then drain.

OK, I know this has nothing to do with the engine, but if it has been sitting that long, the brake fluid has probably turned gunky. If you want working brakes, I suggest you flush the brake lines and add fresh fluid. If I recall correctly, that model had a hydraulic clutch so the same goes for the clutch lines.

Appreciate the replys. Getting more info than another BB I'm on. Update: took off all the spark plugs out and they actually looked good, a little darker than I'd like, but..... put it in first gear and pushed it, after spaying a little WD-40 in the spark holes, and the got the cylinders moving. Sounded good and nice even, smooth roll after I got that big @ss thing moving! Boy, I had forgotten how hard it is to get that monster back on its center stand. Tank worries me, got lots of crud in it. Will have to acid wash it, but never did a tank that big before. The rear shaft seal has leaked. I rotated the tire so that the leak would show up on a dry area. It hasn't. Does any know that if I get the bike running again will the seal be OK?? Those rear seals are a bea-itch to replace. Forks are almost non-responsive. May just need oil and re-seal kit. Also, I had the clutch in, and the pistons still moved. Clutch shot? Clutch has a lot of spring in it still.

[ July 01, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

Maybe the bike's in neutral?

It would have to be totally fried clutch to slip that easily by hand. OR it could be that the clutch cable is sticking/binding a bit. They tend to do that after a few years of no lube and no activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back