When can/should I start using synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 03 1000 gsxr and I have about 500 miles on it. I was planning on using synthetic after the break in is done at 1000 miles. What do you guys think? Someone told me i should wait intil 3000 miles but i don't know why. If break in is done at 1000 miles then why not switch then to prevent more engine wear that isn't wanted..

I went with a blend at 1000 miles and moved on to a full at about 1800 miles.
wink.gif

I'm an old fashioned kinda guy ,on a fresh engine do a couple of oil changes to get the breakin crud out.like three 500 mile oil and filter changes imo.

You can start out with a synth oil if you so desire. It's not going to cause you any problem as for wear and such. The only issue like commented above is that you may want to use a less expensive oil so to flush out some of the basic engine contaminants that is found when new at shorter intervals. The primary benefit of a synth oil is longer drains due to better handling of oxidation over a longer period of time and better flow performance in near/sub zero weather. As for break in, by the time you get your car, it's able to run fine and the synth oil will not keep the engine from breaking in.

I've been changing the oil alot(probably more then I need to). If I run synthetic it would still break in the motor just not as fast right? I work at a Auto shop and I've heard people saying not to use synth in there new cars for say the first 10000 miles or so but some of the new GM cars (mainly high performace cars)come from the factory with full synthetic and if you choose to put in other oil besides the full synth they will void your warranty.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by scrap:
I've been changing the oil alot(probably more then I need to). If I run synthetic it would still break in the motor just not as fast right? I work at a Auto shop and I've heard people saying not to use synth in there new cars for say the first 10000 miles or so but some of the new GM cars (mainly high performace cars)come from the factory with full synthetic and if you choose to put in other oil besides the full synth they will void your warranty.
confused.gif

Good to hear you keeping it clean.
IMHO I do think it may take it longer to "break-in"
But the question is what does the MFG suggest? hum, if they give you no clues, I may suggest, that you watch the oil very careful, and if she is not burning, or very little burn, Then IMHO she's broke-in.
For me this took 20K miles, and it was burning still more than I liked but far below the norm from pro's in the field, then I waited 6K just to make sure, then when I was sure, I Bumped-up to a higer grade Oil (a Dino).
as far as coming from the factory as a fill, I'm no mechanic again, and I would say that is the MFG design (tolerable due to spec's)...

quote:

Originally posted by scrap:
I have a 03 1000 gsxr and I have about 500 miles on it. I was planning on using synthetic after the break in is done at 1000 miles. What do you guys think? Someone told me i should wait intil 3000 miles but i don't know why. If break in is done at 1000 miles then why not switch then to prevent more engine wear that isn't wanted..

Nice bike. One of the most fun bikes I ever owned was a '92 GSXR-750. You should be able to use synthetic oil any time. Some car manufacturers use it as factory fill in brand new cars. I put my '99 Magna on synthetic oil when it hit 2,000 miles.

Put me in the "switch right away" camp. I'm not buying the whole break-in thing for modern engines. Keep the factory fill for however long they say, then switch.

Cheers, 3MP

I usually wait until after my first oil change.

Most bikes have a manditory oil change at 500-600. I'll usually go with a dino until about 3,000 then depending on the useage, I either do semi-syn, or go full synthetic.

The key is oil usage, if the bike is using oil, you will want to hold off until your rings are seated(BMW's some times take 10,000+ before they are broken in).

My 2002 triumph calls for synthetic after the first oil change(500 miles) but I went with Delo 400 for 1500, then with a semi-syn for the next 3-4 thousand(I currently have 5,000 miles on the bike)

At 6,000 I'll go full synthetic, then go 6,000 on that oil change, at which time I'll have 12,000 miles on the bike and will need to have a valve adjustment. after the valve adjustment I'll change again. I plan to put 8,000 on that oil change at which time I'll be at 20,000 miles. Then I would like to go every 10,000 thereafter.

Right now I have the semi-synthetic Amsoil 15w40. I'll be doing the Amsoil Full synthetic motorcycle oil in 10w40.

[ August 22, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back