2 stroke tranny oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is every one using for their 2 stroke tranny oil? I used ATF type F for years. Been trying Dexron III and 30 wt non detergent motor oil both seem like they have smother shifting than type F and 2 different 80wt bike oils. I change the oil every 2 rides so the big $$ bike tranny oils don't seem like that are worth it to me.

I use Mobil 1 15/50 or citgo 10/40. For some odd reason the citgo oil shifts smoother in my bike than anything else. Itrs also cheap so you can change it every few rides.

On the H2 I've used an SG/CD 10W-30 or 10W-40.

When it was available in the CHEAP, that is!

Suzuki has an SG oil that is usually $3 or so...

The MAXIMA MTL products and the BelRay Gearsaver are supposed to be specially formulated for use in 2-stroke trannys. You've probably tried them already...

For the dough I don't see how you could go wrong with the Amsoil 100% synthetic 10W-30 or -40 products. A little spendy but really great shifting
burnout.gif

FWIW, Yes I tried the Bel Ray 80wt gear saver It was just ok in my bike. But the Dexron III felt a little better and was much cheaper. My bike like a lot of the newer KTM 2 stroke bikes have about 1/2 of the hard clutch plates made out of aluminum. Some of the MX bikes hard plates are all aluminum nowadays. I have found them to be very finicky about what oil you use. I also tried Maxima 80wt gear oil, I really like their 2 stroke oil. But I think there gear oil is to slick for the aluminum clutch plates. Because ALOT of aluminum debris came out at oil change time. So I only used it one time. Thanks for the replies. Good day
smile.gif

[ June 20, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Hirev ]

Two cycle gear oil will turn grey fast with alloy clutch plates no matter what oil you use. Switching to steel plates greatly helps this.

[ June 20, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

Yes I plan on doing that. I was waiting for them to go bad, being the tight guy I'am.
grin.gif
The bike is over 2 years old and the no problems with the clutch so far. Thanks for the reply.
wink.gif

Have any of you tried Caterpillar TO-4 wet-brake/clutch/transmission fluids, THF's, or commercial truck GL-3 MTLs in 2-stroke MX transmissions, or am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back