M1 4XT UOA coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i mailed it off today. i'm not sure it will be valuable at all, it's only 800 miles (10 months). 600 of those miles were in the last 2 months, and i expect to maintain that rate until november, now that i'm using the bike to commute to school from work.

replaced the M1 with Amsoil Motorcycle 10W40. i really have no idea if shift feel has any correlation to wear/protection, but i'm disappointed in how much worse it feels with the amsoil. 1-2 false neutrals per ride (none ever until now), clunkier, notchier, etc. unexpected difference. i will have the amsoil analyzed as well, although it will have more miles on it than the M1. although, if the shifting keeps pissing me off, i may not even leave it in for 800 miles.

the bike is an RC51. no track use, but i'm very mean to it.
wink.gif
i can't remember the last time i rode it that it didn't see redline. (unbelievably, i have a clean driving record.) it also spends considerable time in slow/stopped traffic with the coolant temp sitting at 220 degrees. (it runs 190 and lower on the open road.)

the RC51 is supposed to be ultra sensitive to moly. it's one of 2-3 hondas that specify no moly oils in the owner's manual. (or maybe it was an update through dealers, i forget.) however, someone on the RC51 forum claims they've run redline without any clutch/slip problems. so now i'm tempted to just use schaeffer's #700, since i'm about to order a whole bunch for my cars. any comments?

edit: this may not mean anything since the oil is already shared with the tranny, but the RC51 does have gear-driven cams.

-michael

[ May 31, 2003, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Michael SR ]

If someone's tried Redline in an RC51 without problems then why not use that?

Redline improved shifting on my VTR1000 versus MX4T by reducing the 1st to 2nd gear clunck and the neutral to 1st gear clunck.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:

the RC51 is supposed to be ultra sensitive to moly. it's one of 2-3 hondas that specify no moly oils in the owner's manual. (or maybe it was an update through dealers, i forget.) however, someone on the RC51 forum claims they've run redline without any clutch/slip problems. so now i'm tempted to just use schaeffer's #700, since i'm about to order a whole bunch for my cars. any comments?

-michael

I am very interested to see your oil analysis results of both oils. Thanks in advance!! I am running an F-3 and have the Mobil in there now and planned to try Amsoil next, now ??? We may want to consider the Castrol R-4. My manual also advises against moly.
burnout.gif

I found that the base oil had very little to do with the shifting quality as long as the cSt values were between 12.0 and 19.0 at 100C. Boundry lubrication additives did not hurt clutches. I tried everything to get the "glitter and flakes" out of the used oil.
But I finally succeeded.
For me a 50/50 blend of HDMO 15W40 and Exxon SGO 50 or Chevron's trans fluid ESI 40 worked.
Got ya thinkin'?

Michael SR, I replied to the results of your UOA in that section.

Keep in mind that I did not read this thread first.
wink.gif

Regardless of the oils you end up using, please keep us informed of the results ... both anedotal and UOA.
cheers.gif

--- Bror Jace

thanks for the comments, everyone.

i've adapted to the difference in shift feel, so i guess it's not a big deal. it just takes more deliberation.

-michael

Try using mobil delvac1300, i have been using it in my honda929 and i seems to hold up to the abuse i put my bike through.'
This oil seems to hold up good in high temps, and i have had no problems with shifting.

What weight is that delavac stuff? I also have a 929 and i use mobil 1 mx4t and plan to use amsoil 10w-30 next year in it.

It is 15/40,I am also having good performance like klingon 20 mentioned.using strictly motocross,tranny side only being used.

Keith,
00,03KX250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back