What about MOTUL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a motorcycle roadracer and I race a liquid cooled four cylinder 600cc racebike with a redline of 14000 RPM and a wet clutch. I care alot about the relaiablilty and longetivity of my racing engine. I was very pleased to see such a wealth of information regarding oil at this website.

For three years now I have been running an ester-based Synthetic Blend "Motul 5100" 10W40. (Go to motul to read about what they say is "great" about their oil) I do not know much about the oil, other than everyone rants and raves about it where I come from, and that it looks almost like coolant, which means it must be pretty trick
smile.gif
But seriously... I want to know if I am buying the best... Every manufacterer says they make the best stuff, and the best you've had IS the best you know!! Now I hope others can help me perhaps determine if what I am using is the best for what I am doing. (15min races with 160 mph straight speed, contant shifting, accelerating, decelerating)

I want the best oil for my bike period. I do not care about the cost, or how often I have to change the oil. Motul isn't really cheap, and I change it every race weekend (200 miles/ 323 kilometers, max.)

I am try to learn about friction modifiers and the effects of Moly, but it seems there is much more to know and so little time. I need to know what Bob "the man who knows oil" (And others who frequent this board) would really recommend in my situation. Motul gives the sweetest shifting I have ever had, and it has seemed to be working very well so far.

I know a racer who TRIED Amsoil, and he found it did not work well at all. I am not sure which type he used, but since he is an owner of a motorcycle service shop that used to sell Amsoil I am sure he used it for what it claims it is best for. He had problems with clutch slippage mainly.

I also would like any information regarding grease. I have the high speed application of wheel bearings, and the high load of suspension and steering head bearings to contend with. I imagine that two different greases would be best, and that is alright.

Thank you for posting you knowledge so others can learn more from your experiences.

DangerBoy

[ May 14, 2003, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Well may want to try the Castrol R-4 since it is pretty much designed for racing. The other two I am big on is Mobil 1 for bikes MX4T or the Amsoil that you mentioned. Redline would be another that have a following here. Since you change the oil so much you could try a few of these and see how the bike/you like it.
burnout.gif

Good question about the Motul. I'd love to see some UOAs on this oil, especially from motorcyclists. Fuch's Silkolene is also another pricy, exotic, European motorcycle oil. It's an all ester synthetic and $10./qt. I sometimes go into the local Honda dealership just to look at the Silkolene.
smile.gif

We used Motul in our race bikes for years with good results. Golden Spectro was satisfactory also. This was in Arizona where it don't snow.

I use Motul full-synthetic in my TZ250 racer (premix and gearbox) and it works great! I noticed a significant jump in time between rebuilds when I switched over to this stuff. I highly recommend it.
burnout.gif

I have had good luck with Motul also. However I have not done any UOA on Motul products. They do work well, as many in the motorcycle world know.

Chris

Hi,

I read many good reports about motul particularly for motorbikes. I don't have a bike but am using the 300v for my Nissan turbo 200sx,as is my son in his high modded 180sx turbo. If what you are using is working great stick with it! There is nothing wrong, with it or Motul, just you may try the 300v line, full synthetic. Do NOT use a car oil. Have you asked for the best oil for your bike on their forum ? Only thing is sometimes you may have to wait for some time for an answer (possibly weeks!!!), or maybe ring or email?

Cheers

[ July 26, 2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back