Help - oil for oil cooled GSXR-1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just had a rebuild of my engine and have run the engine in for about 3000k with dino juice. Now that things are seated... what should I use?

The bike's an 1986 GSXR-1100, oil cooled and runs really hot. I'm considering synthetic but have heard both good and bad about them...
What do others use in high revving, high horsepower air/oil cooled bikes????

Please help... I love this old bike!

My strong vote would be for Mobil 1 MX4T or Amsoil.
wink.gif

Redline 10W40

If it runs real hot, mix in 20w50 or straight 20w50.

[ May 08, 2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

Redline,Redline, Redline!!!!! Redline was first developed for raceing bikes! I do not think that their is a synthetic marketed for gas or diesel engines that will take the heat like Redlines polyol base stocks. Their might be some with better TBN retenion but is heat and lubrication under load are the most important then Redline is where it is at. You do pay for that.

Hmmm, never thought of Redline. I'm not too worried about price as we all know bikes are not exactly a rational purchase in the first place and, living in the Great White North, I only ride 8 months of the year.

What weight of Redline? I've read a whole lot of threads here and everyone talks of viscosity breakdown. Should I be changing it more than every 5000KM?

Thanks for the help!

I have had great success with Amsoil 10w40 in Inline 4 bikes. Also I ran this oil with 9000+ mile drains in my BMW oil/air cooled twin. In the heat of summer when living in El Paso.

As far as recommended drains, becuase the BMW has an seperate trans/engine sump I didn't have to worry about clutch/gear contamination.

With the GSXR, I would recommend 2 times the manufature recommendation or about 6,000-7500 miles between changes.

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.
I just went to my local shop and found that MC synth was (Canadian) $21/litre
gr_eek2.gif
????? WHAT. Ok, so I said I didn't mind paying for good oil... but $100 for a change doing it myself?
Is this what you all pay? Is there anything cheaper? I thought I was being generous when thinking $15/L but, yikes!

Phew, sorry for freeking out... are there any other options other than $7/L dino oil?

Thanks again!

Mobil 1 15w50 is probably the single most popular oil for bikes that I know of. I've used it for years but never did a UOA on it.

quote:

Originally posted by Gixxerboy:
Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.
I just went to my local shop and found that MC synth was (Canadian) $21/litre
gr_eek2.gif
?????
Thanks again!

Hey don't fret, were here to help you out. check your PM.

BTW, my triumph dealer sells Mobil 1 racing and Motul, both for $50(USD) a gallon. Yikes I can't believe anyone buys it.

But then again the Triumph Owners manual recommends the Mobil 1 stuff, so that is why the dealer sells a bunch of it.

I tried to get him to carry amsoil, but he doesn't believe that I can get him full synthetic for less than $20 a gallon(USD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back