Killed Delo 400 in 1500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

I had to dump the Delo 400 that I was running my my New Sprint. Shifting had become noticably difficult especially between 4th&5th then %th&6th.

Same thing had happened with the breakin oil at around 400-500 miles.

The owners manual calls for Full Synthetic Mobil 4T 15w50. I wanted to run dino for a little while to make sure breakin was complete.

I ended up putting in Amsoil 15w40 semi-synthetic for the time being. Also I didn't bother changing out the Filter, as I was running Amsoil's SMF motorcycle filter and with 1500 miles I figured it would have been a waste.

I didn't do an oil analysis on this short drain just because I thought it would have been a waste.

****ing with the new oil is great. Very Smooth and positive gear changes. Last weekend I did 500 miles and have about 6 or so false nuetrals between those gears I mentioned. Of coarse when that happens, you have to pull in the clutch then crunch it into gear. Boy does that suck hearing those gear grind.

How long was the Delo in there before it was shifting funny? Did it do it right from the start, or after a number of miles?

I don't believe in the theory that synthetic oils prevent or delay break-in. In fact, I think they would aid in break-in by helping insure that more of the break-in occurs by mashing the asperities down rather than tearing them off. Honda uses moly in their factory-fill break-in oils for that reason. If anything should delay break-in it would be moly.

But you're right about getting rid of the Delo if the shifting is ragged. You should have had the oil analyzed to see what the viscosity is. That would give you a better idea of how thin you can go and maintain shift quality. How long did you run the Delo?

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
How long was the Delo in there before it was shifting funny? Did it do it right from the start, or after a number of miles?

It shifted great for the first 1000-1200 miles. It was especially noticable after this past weekend when I put around 500 miles on the bike that is when it started.

Is Delo good for wet clutches? I am new to Cycle oils - i'm sorry. Maybe it has to many friction modifiers??? Just a thought. I would love to use Delo 15w-40 in mine, but i would probably loose sleep over it until i put in a "Motorcycle Oil".

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
Is Delo good for wet clutches? I am new to Cycle oils - i'm sorry. Maybe it has to many friction modifiers??? Just a thought. I would love to use Delo 15w-40 in mine, but i would probably loose sleep over it until i put in a "Motorcycle Oil".

I don't believe the Delo has the friction modifiers. I just think that the oil couldn't take this bike.

The owners manual calls for Mobil 1 4t racing oil that is $48/gallon. Also says you must use at least semi synthetic.

I'm thinking that maybe this stuff sheared down or something like that. Also might be too light of a weight. Maybe it needs to have a 15w50 based to to perform correctly. We will see!

Shame on you Msparks if the mfg.wants you to use syn. oil you better use it. I'm calling BIG AL rumor is ,rewards are given for not using syn. oil when needed
fruit.gif

[ April 16, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Msparks,

Stick with the Mobil 4T 15-50 and the Triumph Oil Filters. I have a 2002 Speed Triple and just changed the oil for the 3rd time using the Mobil 4t. I traded a 2000 Sprint for the Speed Triple and used the 4T in that bike also. I sometimes get a false neutral between 5th and 6th but that is when I short shift it, no problems when the rpms are up.

The Speed Triple shifts much better than my Sprint did,I don't know Triumph changed anything in the tranny when the went to the 118 horsepower engine. It would always be a chore to get it into neutral when it was hot.

Ride on....
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by nhkid:
Msparks,

Stick with the Mobil 4T 15-50 and the Triumph Oil Filters.

Your too funny
lol.gif
lol.gif

You know that's not in my nature
dunno.gif
dunno.gif
I can't imagine why?

Mobil 1 4t@ $50/gallon is crazy. I'll stick with Amsoil either 10w40 or 20 at Less than $20/gallon.

Same goes with the Amsoil filters around $7 compared to $12+ for the Triumph OEM stuff
twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
Well,

I had to dump the Delo 400 that I was running my my New Sprint. Shifting had become noticably difficult especially between 4th&5th then %th&6th.

Same thing had happened with the breakin oil at around 400-500 miles.

The owners manual calls for Full Synthetic Mobil 4T 15w50. I wanted to run dino for a little while to make sure breakin was complete.

I ended up putting in Amsoil 15w40 semi-synthetic for the time being. Also I didn't bother changing out the Filter, as I was running Amsoil's SMF motorcycle filter and with 1500 miles I figured it would have been a waste.

I didn't do an oil analysis on this short drain just because I thought it would have been a waste.

****ing with the new oil is great. Very Smooth and positive gear changes. Last weekend I did 500 miles and have about 6 or so false nuetrals between those gears I mentioned. Of coarse when that happens, you have to pull in the clutch then crunch it into gear. Boy does that suck hearing those gear grind.

The manual calls for a synthetic 50 weight oil and your using a 40 weight dino oil? Uhhhh....?

With that said though, I've personally ran Delo in motorcycles, from low-revving V-Twins to most recently, a 400cc I4 Honda that spends most all of it's time north of 5,000. Change it every 2,000 miles, and I have had absolutely no oil related problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:
The manual calls for a synthetic 50 weight oil and your using a 40 weight dino oil? Uhhhh....?
[/QB]

Well I wanted to use some for this short run, to make sure it was broken in. Since the temps here have been below 80 degrees, I didn't figure there would be too much concern for high temp degredation.

Now that it's getting warmer I went to a semi-syn. Though it's still only a 40wt. I wonder how important it would be to use that. I know several triumph dealers that recommend a 10w40 as well as the mobil 1 15w50.

Shifting quality can be a lot of things ... but if it's oil related, I'd guess it's the friction modifier/barrier package ... and Delo's is fairly light (no moly or boron). I can't believe this stuff could have sheared down appreciably.
spaz.gif

We've seen some specialty cycle oils (Honda) on this forum shear down rather quickly.
frown.gif

So, I'd guess the package in this oil (no boron or moly last time anyone had a sample tested) didn't get along with the clutches.

Unfortunately, the best thing to do is what you did ... dump it and consider something else.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

My vote is for the Amsoil 10-40 and give us an oil analysis for a sport bike with a wet clutch.
grin.gif

Mike,

I'd run the Amsoil 20w-50 high performance oil year round in this bike. One of the local motorcycle shops has had excellent results with it in Ducatis and Motoguzzi's over the last several years. You could run the Amsoil 10w-40 if you ride all winter and shifting is difficult with the 20w-50. It is JASO MA rated for use with wet clutches ....

For a dry clutch bike like a Harley, I'd recommend the Series 2000, 20w-50 racing oil, which is even more effective at reducing friction/wear. It is JASO MB rated for motorcycle use ....

TS

2 Slick!
shocked.gif

What is JASO MB?
confused.gif

Also, for my money there is no question that the Amsoil AMO 10W-40 or the ARO 20W-50 are superior choices for any wet-clutch bike that calls for either of these weights. My ZX-11 (a motor & a half if there ever was one!) shifted better IMMEDIATELY upon my change to this oil
burnout.gif

Cheaper than the other MC 100% synthetics (Motul, Castrol R4, BelRay, Maxima, etc.) by a long shot.
fruit.gif

Norm,

Part of the JASO tests is one to see how much torque the oil can transmit through a wet clutch. JASO MA is the highest rating and JASO MB is the next highest catagory. Some info on the Lubrizol.com website if you care to track it down ....

Ted

Thanks, TooSlick!

Think I'll stick with the MA, just wondered if there was a "newer, better or higher" spec out there...
rolleyes.gif

Well,

Just got back from a 900 mile excursion with some other riders. Went over to WV Rt 33 to 55/219 then over 39(goshen pass).

Anyhow, I did many a full throttle runs, with shifts up around Redline, temps ranged from the mid 40's to low 70's.

I had just added Amsoil's 15w40 Semi synthetic because that is all I had. Bike shift great and ran great(except when I had water in my gas for 200 miles) but as far as lubrication standpoint. the Semi-syn worked great.

I'll probably be dumping the this in the near future to change over to the 20w50(AMV/ARO) I feel this will give the best summer time protection.

Tooslick, when the weather cools off, I'll keep an eye on the shift, and go down to the 10w40 if I run into any problems. Thanks for your help.

AMSOIL AMV (20W50) or AMF (10W40) would also be great choices. Why the preference for the non- motorcycle specific products?
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Lance:
AMSOIL AMV (20W50) or AMF (10W40) would also be great choices. Why the preference for the non- motorcycle specific products?
gr_eek2.gif

For Break in purposes only. Your right AVM will probably be going in soon. As I already have about 2000 miles on this stuff. Another 1000 and I'll have 5,000 which is when I'll go full synth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back