What about chain lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my $0.02 worth: I have 27+K miles on my OEM chain on a 1993 ZX-11. Plenty of adjustment left, chain gets cleaned with a rag sprayed with a little WD-40 and gets a shot of (can you believe this?) STP Motorcycle Chain Lube (red can, o-ring safe) every 500 miles or so... I've had that product since I put my H2 back on the road 7 years ago. That OEM chain (non-o-ring) only lasted 10K. I used to soak that one in gas for a night, immerse in 10W-30 oil, wipe it clean and lube it and go!

My personal opinion is that routine adjustment and cleaning greatly extend the life of almost every component on any motorcycle. That includes plugs, wires, tires, brakes, etc.

Cheers!

Either I'm just a lucky guy or

i use automatic transmission fluid on my o-ring chain on a 78 CB750K. it's thin but sticky, and the best part is... it's very cheap!
smile.gif

I agree, that particular horizontal point of swingarm radious is the tightest part of chain tension. The manual says with bike on side stand set to 40 to 50mm slack . This to ensure enough slack to make it through the tightest point of the radious.

I have 27+K miles on my OEM chain on a 1993 ZX-11))))

That's a different world, much heavier chains including cush hubs, your probably about normal.

quote:

Originally posted by Mackelroy:
The manual says with bike on side stand set to 40 to 50mm slack . This to ensure enough slack to make it through the tightest point of the radious.

Couldn't hurt to take off the shock (or just hold the wheel up with a cargo strap) and put the bike in that position and check it out, could it?
You may just be surprized.

Keep in mind that it only takes about 1/4 turn of an adjustment screw past too tight, and you can trash the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back