What about chain lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best lube for the chain on my Honda? i have read that WD-40 is fine, when others say that they only use some wax from the dealer. I would perfer to use WD-40 and do it often, if it is ok. Is WD-40 messier? How often should i do this?

The problem with WD-40 is that it is so thin that it tends to throw off. Specialty chain lubes tend to "gel" after they come out of the spray can.

Or, you can try this. Collect bacon drippings in a coffee can and heat to melting. Dip the chain into the melted bacon fat. Let cool and install on the bike. The only problem is the flies that tend to hang around the garage! I actually did it about over thirty years ago. It made a darn good lube, must be the esters in the bacon fat.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
What is the best lube for the chain on my Honda? i have read that WD-40 is fine, when others say that they only use some wax from the dealer. I would perfer to use WD-40 and do it often, if it is ok. Is WD-40 messier? How often should i do this?

What type of chain do you have??? Is it an O-Ring chain? If so you only have to worry about protection the outer portion of the chain. By Using wd-40 as a protectant you could ruin the chain becuase the wd-40 could get past the o-rings and displace the grease that is in there.

I use a spray on wax type lube that seems to do a good job, I've only got 1200 miles on my chain so for. I'll let you know when I get about 15,000-20,000 how it does.

Right now I'm using Amsoil H-D Metal Protector

I would think i have a non-oring because it is a 1978. I like the idea of the Amsoil spray lube. I have seen that somewhere but can't remember where. Now i remember. It was at my boat dealer. I think it was $7.00 per can. Is it just an al purpose lube spray?

I'd like to try Schaeffer #227 chain lube on my 1983 Honda ATC 200E Big Red ... but procuring it is not simple.
frown.gif

There is another thread about chain lubes around here somewhere ... maybe 2 months ago. Perhaps someone could do a search on "chains" and disregard all the polymer references you know will get hit?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

With a non-oring chain you need to clean the chain better or else you are just putting lube on dirt.

Get a second chain and use the old chain to pull the new one on. Then clean the old one the best way you can. Engine degreaser works pretty good. Then put it in the oven to drive the water off. While warm put motor oil on it (Delo 400 of course
grin.gif
). Gear oils would work too.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
Is it just an al purpose lube spray?

I don't know what the stuff is, but once you spray it, let it dry for about 10-15 minutes, after that the stuff becomes very difficult to get off. I's almost like an undercoating type product. As a matter of fact it can be used as such.

I use it on the underside of my truck to stop any rust. Sprayed my rear differential last year with it and it's still on there. Pretty tough stuff.

If you want a good chain lube that won't fling off all over your bike, this stuff works.

quote:

Originally posted by Dewlanna:
There was a thread about Bicycle Chain Lubricants in General and Off Topic.
It was started last October and revived in late January.
The WD 40 question is addressed there.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000164

Bicycle chain are very different from O-Ring type motorcycle chains. An O-Ring Motorcycle chain should never be cleaned with a penetrating solvent. If you want to clean an O-Ring type chain, you should saturate a rag, and wipe the surface only. Also ridding the bike/equipment in the rain will basically take all the crud off the chain, but you must re-lube it immediately after it dries your your ruin the chain. Very complicated!! Hence the reason most long distance touring bikes are either belt or shaft.

Kerosene is the most common solvent recommended by oring chain manufactures for cleaning. I suspect WD40 is a good substitute.

I clean and lube my bike's chain a bit differently than most people. Right now I'm at half way thru the recommended adjustment on the chain and have 24,000 miles on it.

Here's what I do:

1. Spray with a mild engine degreaser.
2. Hose off with water
3. Dry with rags or paper towels.
4. Spray with WD40 and wipe off.
5. Lube with top secrect oil.

Here's the biggist reason I get long chain life.

Scottoiler

I just bought some Maxima chain wax. The parts guy said to do it after every ride. Or 50 miles. I have also read to do it every 500 miles also. I will probably do it every 50 miles. Which could be once a month. I plan on spraying it on a warm chain. Then wipping off the excess.

Jon,

I am using the same chain spray on my 02 Triumph Speed Triple. I spray it on every 500 miles or so more often if I happen to get stuck riding in heavy rain. Just spray it on and leave it dont worry about wiping off the excess.

I also clean the chain with wd-40 when the chain gets really dirty, just by spraying it on the chain and wiping it down.

Happy Riding
Keith

i used the chain wax for a long time with good results. eventually, i was unable to find it in stores, so i used slick 50 one-lube. the only problem was the "fling" on the rims.

the ultimate solution was to remove the chain and install a belt drive. now i laugh at you oil flippers!
fruit.gif

I have tried just about every chain lube out there and have come to like Honda HP the best. Its a moly/teflon dry film type lube that doesnt sttarct dirt like chainwax and some of the other petrol based lubes.

satterfi - yeah, my kaw (vulcan 800) makes about half that horsepower. belt technology has improved a lot though, and guys with hopped up harleys are using kevlar belts and pulling **** near 100hp without replacing pulleys and belts.

my belt is probably between .75 & 1" wide.

i'm sorry that i didn't change mine to a belt drive earlier.

on the lubrication side, i also use to clean my chain with wd40 and put on a coat of 10w-40, but i usually did this when i new i'd be giving the bike a bath. i was never too religious about lubing my chain; maybe once a month or so, depending on mileage. 300-500 miles was pretty typical, and i never had any undue wear on any chain driven bike i've owned.

By the way, i just cleaned my rims with WD-40 last night, and wow. I sprayed some onto a rag and wiped the rims. I have the 5 spoke modular rims so no spokes and it was really easy. So now i can do this with my chain before i wax it? Just wet a rag with WD-40 and wipe off the dirt/grease buildup on the chain?

I would question the usefullness of wd-40 or motor oil as a chain lube. Motor oil flings off,makes a mess and attracts dirt. Wd is little more the kerosene so it has not lubricating qualities. IMO a dry film type lube is the only way to go for a bike chain. Even more so when opperated in dirt.

blano - yeah, i used wd-40 to clean, and you're right - motor oil sucks as chain lube. i'd put it on with a toothbrush and then wipe the chain clean. this was my between-lube solution (between chain wax and the 1-lube)

i did this on my sportbike with colored rims, but there's no way i'd do it to my cruiser.

Definitely stay with a motorcycle chain lube. I've used waxes and don't really like them as they seem to wear out quickly - may be just my perception though. I'm currently using PJ1 (gooey) chain lube. It's sticky and a little messy but lubes really well. I try to lube the whole chain once a week but, directly after coming home from a ride, I spray the exposed parts. Yeah, I know, it's not optimal but, it gets some of the chain lubed when it's hot. If my bike had a centre stand, maybe I'd do it properly!

I think a Scott oiler is really the way to go, if you want your chain to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back