HELP Honda 400 hawk oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
offtopic.gif

JonS: IMHO Buy the absolute BEST TIRES & TUBES you can find. They are, predicating a fully functional suspension & braking system, all that are in between you and the pavement as far as traction, handling and braking are concerned.

It doesn't cost a lot more to be safe. Same exact thing as far as a helmet is concerned: you only have one head...
cheers.gif

Used oil testing on this site of OEM brand motorcycle oils (Honda's in particular) has been somewhat disappointing. Unstable base conventional oils for $4+ per quart.
rolleyes.gif

Golden Spectro has a spotty record as well.
freak2.gif

I'm not sure if older Hondas are moly tolerant. New ones are supposed to not tolerate any othis stuff. Some samples of Chevron Supreme test very high in borates ... comparable to specialty bike oils. So does Mobil 1 SuperSyn. Unfortunately both have moly in them now.

If you want to use an automotive oil, just take some time in picking one (read the info on this site!). Then, run it for 2,000 miles and test a sample to see how it holds up. There are a few tests on this site which you could compare it to. Try searching this sub section and searching the
Used oil analysis sub section using the word "cycle" or "motorcycle."

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
"Even the owners manuals do not state the use of 'motorcycle specific' oils."
lol.gif

Well, actually they do. Even on a 20 year-old bike it will state the weight and SAE grade. It had not been necessary before the advent of the "energy concerving" formulations that the wet-clutch aspect came into consideration. SG & SH oils don't, for the most part, seem to have this problem. Now, try to find some...
shocked.gif

You are correct that the newer models (except HD) usually don't REQUIRE a certain brand, but it is kinda' silly to use an SJ "Energy Concerving" car oil
nono.gif
when you can avoid the possible problem for a few dollars more (HMMMM... That would be a good title for a movie)
rolleyes.gif

Yes, It states the weight, that is obvious, but let me put it in a more 'understandable' way, It does not say, "Use a Motorcycle-specific oil of XXw-XX". Most just say "use (our brand) or a good quality XXw-XX weight oil meeting SL (or whatever)or better standards".
rolleyes.gif

Well, i ended up going with the Trophy 10w-40 motorcycle oil this weekend. It was $1.69 per quart. It is made by North Coastal oil Co. They also make a 20w-50 motorcyle oil. All the dealers and everyone iv'e asked said a 10w-40 would be fine. Being it has 4000 miles on it, thats what i went with.
I noticed when i can back from a ride and went back out to the garage there was a small quarter size oil spot under the bike. It came from the vertical case housing gasket. I wiped the underside of the bike (one more drop) and it never leaked any more that night. Is this because i used the 10w-40 and not the 20w-50? Will the 20w-50 prevent this because it is thicker?

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I am about to get a 1978 Honda 400 Hawk. It has 4000 miles on it and the carb was just rebuilt. Do i need a special motorcycle oil for this bike? Multi-grade or straight weight? I was planning on using some Motorcycle oil from "Fleet Farm" that is 10w-40. Then i read on the internet that it could use straight 30w. If i used straight weight, i would use Citgo 30 or Delo 30. Which one?

For Texas type summer weather (hot!), Castrol GTX 20w-50. For Northern type cold weather, Castrol GTX 10w-40.

For racetrack high heat and over-revving (10,000+ r.p.m.), Castrol HD-30.

All this from one who has been there, done that with 1976 Honda CB400's and CB500's.

FlimFlam,
So what you are saying is that Castrol will not harm the wet clutch? How many miles have you put on your cb400 and cb500 using Castrol? No problems?

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
FlimFlam,
So what you are saying is that Castrol will not harm the wet clutch? How many miles have you put on your cb400 and cb500 using Castrol? No problems?

Jon, that was Castrol of the Late 1970's and 1980's. I believe Castrol then was not as slippery as Castrol today. I stopped riding bikes around 1990. But I continued using Castrol in all my cars.

I put not less than 27,000 miles on my Honda 400's and 500's. Some had 35,000 miles. I never had the heads off....I am paranoid about any non-factory people messing around with the innards of my engine.

Castrol GTX today is not recommended for bikes. Castrol will tell you to buy its motorcycle-specific oils. I believe these will serve you as well as the old 1970's and 1980's Castrol GTX served me.

[Hmmmm...as a matter of fact, I now recall that I sold one of my 1977 CB 400 F Super Sport 2 years ago. Engine perfect, crankshaft perfect, top end cam and valve train perfect....never been serviced. The only thing that did not work like new was the carburetors. What better testimony can you give to Castrol GTX? ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back