Triumph and Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this on the Spectro web site. Thought you Triumph owners might be interested.

"Triumph recommends a full synthetic for a specific reason. They had early problems with their engines, mainly the 1100 and 1200 longer stroke motors, galling the wrist pins in the pistons and making piston removal at rebuild time difficult. This was traced to riders ignoring the recommendation to use 10w40 or 15w40 and using 20w50 instead combined with too little warming up time. (and some high speed autobahn riding with a cold engine) These wrist pins are not pressure lubed and would not get enough oil initially. Yamaha had the same problems with their 1200 motors too, it seems to be related to longer strokes with more wrist pin rotation. The synthetics penetrate better into this tight fit area and solve the problem, especially the 15w40 and 5w40 fully synthetic oils, hence the Triumph recommendation for 15w40 full synthetic in all high performance large bore engines and 10w40 part synthetic in all others. Yamaha even went to the recommendation of 5w40 full synthetic oils for their 1000’s in Europe to address this same problem."

Satterfi,

I don't know about what spectro recommens, but the
Mobil1 Racing 4T is a 15w50. I had a question about that myself, as I would rather run a 10w40, as Amsoil Doesn't make a 15w50.

Here is what I found on the 4T:
MOBIL 1 RACING 4T

100% synthetic race proven 4-stroke engine oil, SAE 15W-50
Recommended for all on and off road 4-strokes
Increased torque transmission efficiency
Racing 4Ts special qualities ensure that pistons, cams and bearings are protected from premature wear
Enhances wet clutch performance in high temperature conditions
Smoother gear change
Faster cold starting

I'll probably run Amsoil 10w40 or 15w40, and do an analysis to be sure it stays in grade. If it all works out I'll stick with it. Otherwise to get the Xw50 I'll have to go with the 20w50. But like the article says, you really need to go easy on these bikes for the 1 5 miles or so. Especially in Cold weather.

Right now, I have Delo 400 in my Triumph as I wanted to go a little longer than the recommended breakin of 500 miles. I'll probably run this oil to about 2000 on the bike and put in Some Amsoil!!

msparks,

Are you going to analyze the Delo 400? Hope you will use the Amsoil 10-40 on that new motor so that alot of us Jap. bike riders can see how it holds up in a shared sump environment! And you can help promote the use of Amsoil in a sportbike and have data to back it up!!
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
msparks,

Are you going to analyze the Delo 400? Hope you will use the Amsoil 10-40 on that new motor so that alot of us Jap. bike riders can see how it holds up in a shared sump environment! And you can help promote the use of Amsoil in a sportbike and have data to back it up!!
patriot.gif

Yes I plan to analyze the Delo, becuase some ying yang on a triumph board was giving me a bunch of crap for not using the Mobil 1 straight away after the 500 breaking stuff.

As far as the Amsoil Goes, since you requested it, I guess I'll run the 10w40. How long do you want me to run it? 6000? 10,000? 15,000? LOL.

After I switched at 2,000 I'll probably run a short interval of about 6,000 to help flush out some of the wear metals, I'll have it analized then, see what that recommends.

BTW, the factory change interval is 6000 miles.

i'm running the 10W40 mobil 1 in my rc51 right now. i have 3 oil changes worth of the amsoil 10w40 (motorcycle-specific), so that's next. i'd like to do analyses, but i'm not sure how valuable they would be, given my use of the bike.

that is, i change the oil from time interval, since i put so few miles on it.

-michael

I think any analysis on the motorcycle specific 10-40's from Mobil and Amsoil would be valuable after a run in a sportbike; so far we have zero! These are the two top dogs in the full synthetic non-moly oils. I frequent quite a few moto forums and would like to know if these oils can last in a shared sump machine and can be recommended. I am running the Mobil 1 in an F-3 now but am interested in trying the Amsoil soon. If they both can put up good numbers then the quality of shifting will be the tie breaker.
grin.gif

Chris,

One of my local accounts is a bike shop that sells Ducati and Motoguzzi bikes. They have been using the Amsoil 20w-50 ("ARO") as their shop oil for the last two years and are very happy with it. They also raced a Ducati 748 Supersport last year and reported very little wear at the end of the season (about a dozen races). They also use the Amsoil Series 2000 gear lube in the Motoguzzi bikes, which are a dry clutch design.

The Mobil 1, 10w-40/20w-50 bike oils are very similiar products - you can't go wrong with either of these ....

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
I think any analysis on the motorcycle specific 10-40's from Mobil and Amsoil would be valuable after a run in a sportbike; so far we have zero!

well, if everyone feels this way, then i'll have the analyses done. i'm due for a change in may, unless i ride it to work enough that i get mileage before then.

how do i go about having the analyses done?

on shift feel: the mobil 1 is definitely different from what i used during break-in (castrol GTX), which in turn was different than what was in the bike when delivered. with mobil 1, i find the cold shifts to be about as perfect as anyone could hope for, and it progressively becomes harsher/clunkier as it warms up.

i ran golden spectro a few times in two of my old bikes, an fj1200, and an fzr1000. the shifts were like the proverbial hot knife through butter, albeit thick/heavy butter. in comparison, the mobil 1 in the RC makes for lightning fast gear changes.

-michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back