What is the favorite 2 cycle motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob and Ben, It is fairly difficult to find valid 2 stroke oil tests on the net. I found one that used air cooled ultralight aircraft engines. Too bad they did not test modern motorcycle oils in those engines.

My reason for starting this thread was to get real life experiences from motorcycle users. I know the wear evidence is anecdotal, however with enough user experience data; a fairly good conclusion can be drawn.

I do know that castor based oils perform very well in 2 strokes, especially race 2 strokes. However Ben is correct, Castor based oils have little corrosion protection and additive packages may or may not be designed to improve that quality of castor oils.

Today, modern synthetic 2 stroke dirt bike oils are designed to perform as well as the old castor based oils without the problems of castor. I have plenty of experience with castor based oils and I stay away from them with good reason. In addition, modern castor oils with additives or blends are better, but still have the castor related problems to some extent. You would be kidding yourself to say otherwise.

As I mentioned before, I have had best results with MX2t. Spectro also makes a product that works well, however the price is about double. With the number of engines I operate and the amount of oil I use, cost and availability is a big factor.

I use Avgas in my Husky 360 due to price, availability, actual detonation resistance and the lead content, which may extend crankshaft life. BTW, aviation engines are very corrosion prone (I operate 10 aviation engines), maybe avgas is partly to blame.

Unfortunately, without scientific testing to back up 2 stroke oil claims, we are all stuck trying to determine what works best. Sometimes for 30 years!

Chris

"Question, How many two stroke oils have Molybdenum Trialkyldithiocarbamate let alone the Specific chemical identity withheld (trade secret) that they use? Have any idea how that might affect the oils performance compared to one that doesn't? No actual test for that."
No other two cycle oil has moly that I know of. I bet it would be great for AW, but I also but it would cause deposit issues as it is a organo mettalic compound. As for the pics you posted of the bike motor. yes the pics where low quality, but there should be no carbon on a pistons skirt like there was in the pics. It matters not if it is hard or soft. I have never had deposist like thta using mx2t in various engines.

Bob, Your right I do not know much about schaeffers. The only thing i know is the pics you posted, which where horrendus. As for your testtube test. It has no validity because the conditions inna engine are way differant.

I use havoline dino 2 stroke oil in the gas 40:1 and bel-ray 80weight in the tranny of my 74' yamaha 250. This is one wild ride when the throttle sticks wide open!
shocked.gif

Dipstick01

I used to always use Bel-Ray MC1 in my CR125. It is a synthetic and seemed to burn clean. I tried the Honda stuff and fouled more plugs using it than the Bel-Ray. This was 7 years ago so maybe things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back