What is the favorite 2 cycle motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use MX2t in my various 2 strokes. I previously used Redline Racing oil with very poor results, resulting from corrosion.

I also use Motul 600 in my RZ350 injector system.

Is there a general opinion or test that shows a particular oil and or a particular type of oil to be superior? I have searched the internet in vain.

TIA

Chris

Well i use Belray H1R when i can get it,but it sure is hard to find.Funny thing is other Belray oils are usualy available but not H1R.I've had good results with it.

Interesting observation about the Redline corroding. Does the 2 stroke oil also have an overdose of moly?

Hows It going Cujet. As I am sure you know Mx2T is my favorite premix oil. However, I have been really impressed with Phillips injex pro in my sled and also I have been testing a new high tech mineral oil for a buddy that is also very good.

Chris, Two cycle oils probaly do not contain moly as it would lead to plug fouling and deposit formation galore. The problems the cujet mentioned with Redline are well documented and Redline will actually tell you about them if you talk to there head chemist. The problems are simply the result of using a polyol ester base stock with no anti corrosion additives. PE are very unstable in the presance of water and also are hydroscopic. This combo makes for a oil that is very corrosion sensitive.
bwalker aka Ben Walker aka Blano.

[ February 28, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

Personal experience, only:

When I put my ' 74 H2 Kawasaki 750cc Triple back on the road after over 10 years sitting (apart) in my garage, I refilled the oil tank with Havoline 2 stroke oil (Dino), cleaned the plugs, sync'ed the oil pump & carbs, kicked it three times with the ignition off, and it started with the 2nd kick with the ignition on! Smoked for a couple rides, until the exhaust pipes got good and hot and cleaned out. Ran (and runs) just great!

Used this oil exclusively in my former H1 500 & my S1 250 and never have had any oil related problems, OR a fouled plug. These bikes were notorious for fouled plugs in the '70's, to the point that some riders carried an extra three spare plug plastic carrier (or TWO!) besides the one from the factory!

Gave my buddy the half-filled old BelRay bottle of synthetic that was over 20 years old for his collection.

There may be better or higher tech oil out there but I've never needed it. Bought a dozen quarts for $1.29 each when they were on sale about 3 years ago.
burnout.gif

Norm
cheers.gif

Norm I had to post on this one I also had a 1971 mach III for reasons it was the most fun motor cycle I have ever been on after I sold it to move on to something better I found out I miss the power band the power and the sound. after selling the mach III I went through three motorcycles after that and they handled better and probably were faster. the Kawasaki dealer by where I live has a 1200 Eddie Lawson replica ,might be almost as good.

Boy does this bring back memories. I remember when a friend of mines older brother bought a Mach III and used to get on it in front of our school when we were out there. I was 10 back in 1971. I followed the Mach III as it later turned into the Mach IV. I got into minibikes the previous year when I was about 9. Boy, I would love to have a Mach IV to work on.

I wonder what the mach IV would be like today if they took the technology they have in the 250's motocrossers and built this triple again. YOW!
shocked.gif

Nothing feels like a 2-stroke coming on the pipe.

It is kinda' funny just how far two-cycle technology has gone AND how really high in performance most motorcycles are today! I know what you mean, Wolimaster: just IMAGINE a street bike with a de-tuned 500cc GP 2-stroke motor.
burnout.gif

The top of the line 600's from two years ago will run away and hide from the H2 and Z1's of yore! That E. Lawson replica 1200 is one fine naked ride: have you seen the new Z1000, SteveS?

The "liter" bikes are all faster and better handling than most of the full race bikes of the '80's!

The death of the street two-strokes was a sad thing, and mostly unnecessary when factored against other sources & forms of pollution.
nono.gif

Good thing there are literally thousands of clean, low-mileage bikes from the '80's and '90's out there! I got my ZX-11 with new tires, new brakes and only 12K miles on the clock for $4,350!
grin.gif

cheers.gif

Yamalube 2-R semi-Synthetic AT 36:1. It does smoke some. But been using for alot of years now with very good results. I have had problems with corrosion on 2 other full synthetic oils I used years ago. So I found Cujet comments very interesting. With 2-R things look good when I do the top end.
smile.gif

Well, I admit to being biased, but I like the Amsoil Series 2000, two stroke oil, mixed @ 50:1. I've run some in my chainsaw and Stihl weedeater and it burns extremely clean - the spark plug looked practically new at the end of the season. A coworker runs it in his 400cc Honda two stroke racing bike and tells me it works better than the Golden Spectro stuff he was previously using.

TooSlick

Some times the personality is more to the enjoyment than the over all package. I really like to drive flat bottom v drive boats. I own one the most useless things on the water but I love to drive them ,I don't even care how fast they are although still I have the need for speed ! I think it is the same as the Harley riders .I don't understand so I don't ask. I look at the new bikes and I just smile and think to my self ,if only they made them like this way back when I would be dead.

[ March 11, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

"A coworker runs it in his 400cc Honda two stroke racing bike and tells me it works better than the Golden Spectro stuff he was previously using."
MOst anything would burn cleaner than GS. Good oil from a protection/wear standpoint, but very dirty. GS will leave major deposits on exhaust valves, cylinder heads, and in exhaust pipes. Amsoil also does this to a lesser degree, but no where near as bad as spectro.

Price to performance, my favorite would have to be AIO by Amsoil. AIO stands for Amsoil Injector Oil. Can be used in any injection system or mixed 50:1.

You can buy this stuff by had for $3.60 a quart at the preferred customer price. Which I think is a bargin for a full synthetic 2 cycle oil.

My next favorite would the the 100:1 premix for lawn and garden equipment, including chain saws, weedeaters, etc. I get a 5 gallon gas can and mix an 8 oz bottle, which is about 80:1 give great economy and protection. Actually it's cheaper to use this than most conventional based 2 cycle oils mixed at 40:1. Good stuff!!

Msparks, AIO is a tcw3 injector oil and as such isnt the correct fluid for most pre mix applications. Amsoil 100:1 may be economical at 80:1, but IMO( note I said IMO) its assinine to run that high of a ratio in a two cycle. Its not like a total loss lube system works that great to begin with. Not to mention warranty issues from running a non mfg reccomended ratio.

[ April 09, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

Ben,

The 100:1 works perfectly at 80:1 to 100:1, in air cooled two cycle engines that calls for 40:1 or 50:1. I've been using and selling it for about 10 years with excellent results. I have a cheap Mac chainsaw that still runs fine after 8 years of hard use @ 100:1. As I have said in the past, the Amsoil 100:1 oil contains NO solvent (note the 507F flashpoint), so it's highly concentrated. It also has very high film strength, so you simply don't need much oil in the engine to provide good wear protection. I would have no quams at all running it in any two cycle engine @ 80:1 to 100:1, outside of a competitive racing application. The 100:1 oil was introduced in 1973 - it's a very well proven oil ....

For racing I would recommend the Series 2000, two cycle mixed @ 50:1. Amsoil does not recommend richer rations for the S2000, even for racing applications.

regards,

Ted

I have my doubts TooSlick. I personaly do not see any advantage to useing less oil in a two cycle. To the contary I see many disadvantages. BTW are you aware that most aircooled two cycle equipment sold now is epa compliant? This results in internal engine temps going through the roof. Sure you want less oil? BTW I have afreind the builds modified falling saws for west coast loggers. He reccomends 32:1 with maxima K2 in all his saws. He claims to have seen bearing and cylinder failures rise when the oems went to epa compliant saws and 50:1 mix ratios vs the old 32:1 ratios.

Ben,

The manager of the place where I got my Stihl FS-72 trimmer and new "Farmboss" chain saw has been running the Amsoil 100:1 two stoke oil for years. He recommended breaking the engine in on the Stihl oil for 5-6 tanks and then using the Amsoil stuff. I have used the Stihl trimmer a lot over the last 5-6 years (I have a five acre wooded lot) and it's been running perfectly @ 100:1 instead of the 50:1 they call for with the Stihl branded oil.

Again, keep in mind the issue of solvents - petroleum based oils are made from "bright stock" and the only way to get this stuff to mix with gas is to heavily cut it with stoddard solvent. I'm not sure of the exact percentage of solvent but I would be surprised if it's not 25%-33%. (Even synthetic two stoke injection oils will use solvents to get the very low pour points needed for snowmobiles.) If you compare the actual amount of oil you are mixing in, the 100:1 stuff is probably equal to a 65:1 mix of a diluted two stroke oil. So it's really not that radical ....

I do recall when Amsoil was heavily involved in offshore powerboat racing (ABPA) in the early 1980's, those Mercs used to run the 100:1 oil mixed @ 50:1. In fact on the back of the bottles it says: " For severe service applications, a richer mix ratio may be desirable". So the 100:1 mix isn't a hard and fast rule, but it's fine for general applications like weedeaters and chainsaws.

Due to Amsoils' heavy involvement with the Honda "factory connection" autocross team, most of my bike customers are demanding the Series 2000 racing oil these days. So I really haven't been selling the 100:1 for two stroke bikes.

TooSlick

Too slick, I am aware of the solvent issue and I cant help but wonder if indeed amsoil is solvent free. After all mobil uses solvent in mx2t and it is a full ester oil also.As far as being siperior to oem mineral oils. I can say with certainty that it is. The oems are vene going to iso egd jaso fc semi synthetic oils these days. Most of these formulations replace the petrol bright stock with PIB. These oils are very clean compared to mineral oils. As I have said before I prefer mobil mx2t. I have not found anything that burns as clean and I have tried and or observed many(amsoil included).

Blano,

Compare the flash point of the 100:1 (507F) to the Amsoil Series 2000 oil or the Mobil MTX2 (both in the 200F-250F range). The pour point of the 100:1 is only -17F, compared to -50F for the two cycle injectors oils.

That's why I'm pretty sure it has no solvent ....

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
Msparks, AIO is a tcw3 injector oil and as such isnt the correct fluid for most pre mix applications.

quote:

AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil (AIO) is recommended for use in all summer and winter two-cycle injector applications and for pre-mix applications at 50:1 mix ratios. Use AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil wherever TC-W3 or API TC oils are specified in water-cooled or air-cooled motors. AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil is recommended for all two-cycle injector applications, including outboard motors, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs and personal watercraft. AMSOIL Synthetic 2-Cycle Injector Oil is compatible with and recommended for two-cycle applications using catalytic converters.

Anyone wishing to use a 2 stroke oil at 50:1 or less would get better price/performance out of the AIO as compared to the 100:1. At 50:1 or less it becomes more expensive than the AIO.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back