Snowmobile, 2 cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a co-worker who has commented that the guys that use Amsoil 2 cycle oil are usually asked to ride at the rear of the group due to the smell of the oil mix in their exhaust. He is thinking of trying Schaeffers 7000 2 cycle but wonders if it will be similar in exhaust smell?
And leave him banished to the rear.
frown.gif

He is not happy with current oil from snowmbile dealer as the ports got clogged up after every trip. He has to tear it apart to give it a cleaning. Hoping the Schaeffers will not do this. Anyone have experience with this?

His normal trips are between 600 and 1000 miles over several days in Ontario. Patman, not your section of Ontario, they go north from Sault Ste. Marie up through Agawa canyon and up to Wawa. Sounds like fun except it was -35F
shocked.gif
at night when he last went a few weeks ago.

If his ports are getting clogged after every trip he has problems other than oil. Almost any oil will prevent port plugging these days.
That being said I would use Phillips injex pro @ $14 per gallon or almost any other low ash additive package oil. I have had excellant luck with injex pro,and skidoo synthetic. I am sure schaeffers is a good oil for its intended purpose, but TCW3 oils just dont cut it for exhaust valve sleds.

I used Redline synthetic 2 stroke injector oil in my Formula Skidoo. It worked great with no oiling or associated problems. It smelled better too compared to what the Arctic cats that were there were burning anyway.

[ February 25, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: 7tford ]

I use amsoil 100:1 oil in my weedwacker and chain saws seems to work good ,there must be another problem. what is the oil gas mix ratio? this link is interesting the subject is on 2 stroke oils. http//www.ultralightnews.com I hope I link correct.did this

I am not familiar with snowmobile engines, think his Polaris uses automatic injection for the oil?
dunno.gif

He has been using a Polaris synthetic. He said the old version was a blue color but new formula he has not tried is brown. Likely they changed suppliers for their oil.

I have had to snowmobile dealers tell me just the opposite. One gent told me before he started using the Amsoil he was contemplating selling his 2 machines because he wife was getting sick (from the exhasut smell) following him. Since using it last year, she has not been sick since.

It all probably a matter of opinion. From what I here, the rear of the pack is the worst place to be. A rider went missing recently around here partly because the pack ran away and left him. He wandered off the trail and has not been seen since. They suspect he went out on the lake and is still there.

I was traveling West along M28 from Sault Ste Marie last year. The trail follows and old RR grade alone the highway for many miles. I was cruising about 65mph and saw this group flying along at speeds in excess of 65mph. They overtook me and disappeared in about 1 minute or less. Driving that fast with trees no more than 5 ft off the trail. There has been about 4-5 deaths this year from people hitting trees, all young people and many are drinking.

[ February 25, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

"I am not familiar with snowmobile engines, think his Polaris uses automatic injection for the oil?
He has been using a Polaris synthetic. He said the old version was a blue color but new formula he has not tried is brown. Likely they changed suppliers for their oil"

Polaris mineral oil is blue in color and is actually not a bad oil except the price is way high. I do not know the color of polaris synthetic. Polaris sleds do have oil injection. If people are smell sensitive I suggest using klotz. It has a very pleasant aroma.

"I used Redline synthetic 2 stroke injector oil in my Formula Skidoo. It worked great with"

I used the same stuff(two cycle race oil) for serveral years in my sled. The only problems I had was that it was a poor storage lubricant and caused rust on my crank and corrosion on the brass in my bikes carb. It was also pretty
spendy and I thought it stunk pretty bad.

"I use amsoil 100:1 oil in my weedwacker and chain saws seems to work good ,there must be another problem. what is the oil gas mix ratio? this link is interesting the subject is on 2 stroke oils. http//www.ultralightnews.com I hope I link correct.did this"

100:1 is a premix oil so it isnt suitable for sled motors. The link to the article you posted is pretty old and the results it shows are all equally terrible. The new generation of ISO egd fluids burn much cleaner and allow less wear than the oils tested.

" was traveling West along M28 from Sault Ste Marie last year. The trail follows and old RR grade alone the highway for many miles. I was cruising about 65mph and saw this group flying along at speeds in excess of 65mph. They overtook me and disappeared in about 1 minute or less. Driving that fast with trees no more than 5 ft off the trail. There has been about 4-5 deaths this year from people hitting trees, all young people and many are drinking." On railroad grades with well groomed trails 65+MPH isnt dangerous in the least. This cant be said if the trails are tight and twisty.The mains problem in MI with sled related eaths is alcohol as you mentioned. in recent years the DNR and local sherrifs have started to crack down on this.

[ February 25, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back