Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMGO filters have worked fine for me on my CB650SC and My ZRX1200R. When I remove a filter I look at it to make sure that it has held up properly. The longest time they have been in my bike(s) has been 3000 miles. And that is only recently since I have switched to MX4T. Previously they have never gone longer than 1500 miles (prior to MX4T)

Fram and emgo's have served me well also, and I continue to use them.
Many years ago there were some MC fram "spin on" that "spit off". The threads supposedly weren't cut right. As the story goes AMA tech inpectors wouldn't allow them for sanctioned racing. The story stuck like the pennzoil=sludging story and still continues today in some circles.
Emgo in years past had some real low quality stuff, they still do in some products, but IMO their filters are fine, at least the ones I've seen.
'83 400 maxxum needs nothing special for oil IMO. They are understressed and hold plenty of oil for the displacement. 10/40 sale oil or 15/40 hdeo would be what I'd throw in it.

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:
Yeah, and they probably change it after every race.

Agreed. Race conditions put the engine (and oil) through alot of stress... more so than street riding will ever do.

Sjlee: But the other half have had to pound their FRAMs on with a hammer because they don't fit. I've had some experience with the FRAM o-rings too. I'm like, "Bonus! It comes with a bag of o-rings." 5 minutes later I'm removing the oil filter housing and digging my old o-ring from the garbage.
frown.gif

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
Sjlee: But the other half have had to pound their FRAMs on with a hammer because they don't fit. I've had some experience with the FRAM o-rings too. I'm like, "Bonus! It comes with a bag of o-rings." 5 minutes later I'm removing the oil filter housing and digging my old o-ring from the garbage.
frown.gif

Steve

Guess myself and the handful of other motorcyclists that I know must be in the minority because we've never had any problems with Fram oil filters.

quote:

Originally posted by sjlee:

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
frown.gif

Steve

Guess myself and the handful of other motorcyclists that I know must be in the minority because we've never had any problems with Fram oil filters.

Nah, i never had any problems with them either. Used to run them on all my cars and on my 92 FXSTC. Bought the Fram and painted it black...never had an issue.

I truly believe if you change your oil regularly and ensure it dont run low, you will never have a oil related issue....but....it makes great conversation, dont you think?

darrell
sin city

quote:

How do you know that you have never had a problem with any of your Fram filters? Some common failure modes give no obvious symptoms.

I used Fram in the past. After reading a lot of forums and doing some research, I would avoid them now.
A fella with a brand new Suzuki sport bike just changed oil and used a fram filter. He started the bike and got NO oil pressure. We are waiting to hear back if the filter failed or what.

The FRAM filters I'm referring to are not spin-on filters so this problem won't apply to a lot of the bikes you guys use. This gsresources link I posted above does have a picture of these cartridge filters but it is actually an exploded Suzuki filter. The wierd thing is that these bikes are only supposed to put out 8 PSI of oil pressure so something must have been wrong with the bike. Well, some of the plain bearing Suzuki GS bikes put out 40 PSI but still not enough to turn the filter media insideout.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

How do you know that you have never had a problem with any of your Fram filters? Some common failure modes give no obvious symptoms.

MILLIONS of people use and have used Fram for DECADES. No, i wont use it now, because i know there are better options out there now...

You do know though that literally billions of miles have been logged on fram filters...and the company is still doing well financially. If the filters truly failed at a high rate/if they provided substantially less protection than competitors...dont you think that would get out? Or do you buy into a conspiracy theory?

My dad, and probably yours too, ran dino oil TWENTY TO FOURTY years ago...and probably ran a Fram filter for at least part of that time...and those engines served him for over 100,000 miles. I agree we have better choices now...and i dont recommend Fram to filters...but lets not get too theoretical and lose sight of reality...if you

a. change your oil regularly with "name brand" stuff...
b. change your filter regularly...
c. ensure your engine doesnt run low on oil between oil changes...

I would feel confident betting you that your engine will suffer no lubrication related problems....fram or no fram...

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back