Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has an old Yamaha 400 motorcycle that he putts around on. I was talking to him the other day about oil changes, and he mentioned he was using a Fram motorcycle filter. From what I know about Fram car filters, I told him that the Fram's weren't any good. What is a good brand of filter to run on motorcycles? I know he runs Yamaha oil in the bike, so I think he is okay there. I am not really into bikes, so I am not sure what would be best in this situation. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Amsoil makes a good oil fiter for M/C. If you can get the Frame number I will try to x-reference it for you and see if they have a model for it. Or the make, model and year of the M/C.

More Info

If its one of these then yes they have one for $5.45 retail

400 cc FZR400R 1988-90 SMF 105
400 cc XS400 1977-79 SMF 105
400 cc XS400 Maxim, Seca 1982-83 SMF 105
400 cc XS400 Special 1980-81 SMF 105

[ February 16, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Your best bet would be to cough up the change for the filter at the Yamaha dealer. Have read that the Yamalube 4-stroke oil is not the best.

Use OEM.

Be careful with Amsoil M/C filters. I bought one for my bike (SMF 103) and it was a turd.

If I remember correctly, the bike is a 1983 400 cc XS400 Maxim. I would prefer to stick to a filter that he could get locally. There is a Yamaha dealer in the city that he lives, so he can get the Yamaha filters.

What is wrong with Yamaha's Yamalube? Like I said, I don't really know anything about bikes, so please help me out here. What would be a good 4 cycle M/C oil to run in this bike. It has about 10K miles on it.

The Fram that runs in that bike I believe is an internal ilter, not a spin-on, so those problems with Frams spin-on type wont apply to the bike. Also most bike users change thier oil around 1500 to 2000 miles, and if that bike is maintained that way using that fram shouldn't be a problem. But if you have a chance to get the OEM filters resonably, by all means.

quote:

Originally posted by Oldswagon:
What would be a good 4 cycle M/C oil to run in this bike. It has about 10K miles on it.

I'd use a readily available dino 15w-40 diesel rated oil. Delo, Delvac, Rotella etc. and change it once a year.

I am not sure what if this bike has a spin on or not. I have only seen it a handful of times, and to be honest I didn't ever inquire about the oil filter.

I think I will price out a Yamaha filter for him to find the price difference compared to a Fram.

The Delvac would be alright in the Bike? I am, actually likely going to switch one of my cars and my truck over to Delvac 15W40 in the spring. What is wrong with Yamalube?

quote:

Originally posted by Oldswagon:
What is wrong with Yamalube?

It's probably good oil. M/C specific oils are overpriced and don't offer much to justify there cost. Lots of people use diesel oils in bikes with good results.

Have read that the Yamalube oils tend to shift poorly after about 500 miles. Most of the manufacturers branded oil is of poor quality for the high price. My first pick would be the Chevron but the 1300 is good too.
wink.gif

Well, maybe I will tell him to try the Delvac out then. Chevron is not available where he lives. I know he has also run Castrol oil in the bike too. What sort of differences are there in M/C oils as compared to std. motor oil.

If any oil wheather When Hot or Cold,Fresh - Used makes your tranny shift poorly its because It's too Thin. In the case of 500mi now shifts poorly its because the oil is shiit.I dono if I can post a short cut to a university professor (avid rider) tested varios car-Mc-dino-& syntec oils & found dino oils loose as much as @60% of there vis. in the first 800mi. PS found M1 red cap one of the best car oils & shell R-T syn.
itschy.gif
canada.gif

Keep using the fram filters, unlike their car filters the cartridge type flow thru frams have metal ends and are made very well, I have used about 50-60 of these since 1990 and never had one fail or come apart or even look bad when taken off when changing oil.

I too have used Fram certridge motorcycle filters for 12 years now, no problems at all. A local guy now sells Emgo or something like that to fit my 4 wheeler, no problems there either.

This is what I have learned aboout Emgo filters. They have a good price, especially from vendors at motorcycle rallies and other events but have you ever read the flap on the box they come in that says "change filter at 1000 miles" if they don't have any confidence that their filter will last beyond 1000 miles I don't have any confidence in them period and that is why I don't buy emgo anymore and I point this out to everyone I see about to buy one and they usually put it down. Even if you change your oil every 1000 miles doesn't it make you squeamish that even they are hedging their bet for a lawsuit by putting that warning on the box?

Good luck with FRAM bike filters on Suzuki GS bikes...their filter cavity o-rings are never the right size or shape so they leak and the filters o-ring is frequently the wrong size. It'll either be really loose or too tight to get onto the engine. Their quality control is out the window with it comes to rubber parts. I find that Suzuki quality control for rubber parts and gaskets was pretty loose back in the early 80s but it isn't nearly as bad as FRAM! Then again, 25 year old o-rings and gaskets probably would leak nomatter who made them.
dunno.gif

Steve

I'll have to read my Emgo box! I was hoping they were a quality product because they are so convenient for me to get, plus I like buying from the guy, he doesn't gouge you like a dealer does! I paid $12 for a filter from a Yamaha dealer, then I found out a standard NAPA car filter will fit.

I know Purolator makes good filters for gsxr suzukis. The Emgo is supposed to be ok too.

The Fram is a big no no.

I don't see anything wrong with using Fram filters on motorcycles. I use them on mine and know many other guys who have used them for many years with no problems. I think the key is frequent and regular oil changes... every 2-3k should be fine.

As far as using Yamalube... I've never had problems using it, but I've since switched to using Shell Rotella T as it's less than half the price and many motorcyclists use it with great results.

In addition, Yamaha factory racers use Yamalube in their bikes, so I doubt if there's anything wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back