HD Synthetic Oil is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
And I am beting you would be just as happy on a Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki. Maybe even happier since you would have $5-10k more in your pocket.

This is
offtopic.gif
but I felt the need to point out that any similar NEW Honda, Kawi, or Suzuki will be very similar in price to a NEW Harley. It's when buying used that the others become $5-10k cheaper.

A brand new Kawi 1600 Classic retails for $10,499 and can be had easily for $9500-$10,000. A new Harley Fat Boy is about $16,750. Let me know where I can get the new Fat Boy for $10,499 and I will buy one tomorow.

I am still wondering if it is a group 3 or 4/5 base oil. If it is indeed a Citgo product do they make anything else in a group 4/5 or just group 2,3's. I would like to see how this oil holds up to the regular Harley oil. I will be testing the Amsoil 20W50 in my bike this year but would still like to see how this other stuff does. It will be four times the price of regular HD oil in my area. Regular Harley 20W50 goes for anywhere from $4.05 to $4.99 CDN, and the synthetic is expected to be around $16. So at four times the price I hope it is at least 2-3 times as good
smile.gif
I paid 8.25 US for the synthetic in St. Petersburg, so that works out to about $12.25 CDN. If that is the US price in the Northern states it would be worth it to have it shipped from a dealer by the case to persons or groups that wanted to use it a lot.

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
I paid 8.25 US for the synthetic in St. Petersburg, so that works out to about $12.25 CDN.

If that is for the Amsoil, let me know should be able to get it shipped to you for less than $8CD if you buy a case. I would also say, then you have no doubt as to the quality, it's full PAO/Ester

Mike I was talking about the Harley Synthetic. I sell Amsoil through the retail on the shelf program, so no one can beat that price
smile.gif
and I don't doubt the Amsoil quality!

My brother-in-law just picked up a new 2003 H-D.

Should he run the syn stuff or use the harley 360?

Said he can't use Amsoil becuase it will void his warrenty, I'm not going to get into a family fued over it.

Found a good Syn3 FAQ, They must really tout this stuff as Good

Q: Is SYN3 a full- or semi-synthetic?

A: SYN3 is a full synthetic lubricant. It is the general practice in the industry that a "True Synthetic" is formulated with Group IV Polyaplhaolefin (PAO) basestocks. SYN3 is formulated with PAO basestocks and is a "True-Synthetic"

quote:

SYN3 Frequently Asked Questions

SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® SYN3 SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE LUBRICANT

Q: What are the key benefits to using SYN3?

SYN3 can be used in the engine, primary chaincase, and transmission.
Consumer convenience of multi-use product.
Improved film strength for better wear protection at high temperature, and improved deposit control for a cleaner engine, transmission, and primary chaincase.
Reduced oil consumption, improved wear protection, high temperature detergency, and overall field performance.
Use of one lubricant will lessen the chance of mixing incompatible lubricants or filling a cavity with the wrong product.
Q: I keep hearing this product referred to as SYN3, what does that mean?

A: SYN3 it is a synthetic product that has three uses, and is also produced from a proprietary three-synthetic basestock formula.

Q: Is SYN3 a full- or semi-synthetic?

A: SYN3 is a full synthetic lubricant. It is the general practice in the industry that a "True Synthetic" is formulated with Group IV Polyaplhaolefin (PAO) basestocks. SYN3 is formulated with PAO basestocks and is a "True-Synthetic"

Q: Who makes or blends this product?

A: SYN3 is a propriety blend, exclusively custom-blended for Harley-Davidson.

Q: Why is Harley-Davidson introducing a synthetic, when for years dealers and customers have been told not to use a synthetic in HD/Buell motorcycles.

A: The Motor Company has never supported the use of synthetic products in our vehicles because there has never been any test validations completed on the numerous formulations in HD/Buell motorcycles. This product has been exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson and is the only synthetic product TESTED and CERTIFIED by Harley-Davidson engineering for use in HD/Buell motorcycles.

Q: What kind of testing was done on SYN3?

A: Over three years of laboratory bench testing, dynamometer testing under accelerated conditions, open road vehicle durability testing, closed course durability testing, and wear and deposit rating analysis.

Q: How many miles have been put on motorcycles during development?

A: In addition to the bench testing that was completed during the formulation process, additional testing can be broken down as follows:

Engine Testing-230,000+ miles of durability testing and 81 hrs. of dyno testing
Transmission Testing-200,000+ miles of durability testing and 430 hrs. of dyno testing
Clutch Testing-170,000+ miles of clutch testing
Q: Will HD360 be replaced by SYN3?

A: No, it is our intention to provide customers an alternative lubricant product from Harley-Davidson, and in particular a formula that is very effective for high performance engines and hot climate applications. SYN3 is an alternative lubricant product that will help keep those engines running smoothly.

Q: What vehicle powertrain cavities can be filled with SYN3?

A: SYN3 can be used in the engine, primary chaincase, and transmission.

Q: What powertrains can this product be used in?

A: Evolution XL, Evolution1340, Twin Cam 88 (all displacements), Revolution, and all Buell models.

Q: Can this product be used in Shovelhead engines, 4-speed Big Twin transmissions, 4-speed XL trans/primary, and early Shovelhead 5-speed transmissions?

A: Harley-Davidson did not test SYN3 in these engine configurations.

There are a multitude of tests that must be completed before a lubricant can be certified for use in Harley-Davidson engines, primary chaincases and transmissions. Many of these tests require that the components be brand new, then dimensionally inspected (blueprinted) before testing begins in order that the wear on each part can be measured. We were not able to procure the required quantity of new Shovelhead engines, Big Twin 4-speed transmissions and pre-evolution XL engine assembles, and therefore we were not able to conduct all of the testing required for validation. SYN3 is approved for '86-'90 XL 4-Speed Transmissions.

Q: How can SYN3 withstand being used in the transmission.

A: The viscosity modifier included in this product has improved shear stability.

Q: Will the use of SYN3 lengthen my service intervals?

A: No, we recommend that you still follow your owner’s manual for the proper service schedule for your vehicle.

Q: If this product is a high performance lubricant, why would my service intervals not be extended?

A: While SYN3 will help reduce the amount of impurities to your engine, no lubricant product can reduce fuel dilution (this happens every time you start your vehicle). As a result, the regular service schedule is recommended for optimum performance of your vehicle.

Lubricants begin to break down the moment the engine is started. The long molecular strands of the lubricant begin to be sheared between the faces of gears, pistons or other moving parts. SYN3 was tested to confirm that the lubricant provides the protection required for the engine, primary chaincase and transmission for the drain intervals specified in the Owner's Manual.

Q: Does SYN3 help with anti-wear or roller bearing wear?

A: SYN3 contains anti-wear formulations to provide the proper lubricity for all moving parts.

Q: A common concern with other available synthetic oils is that roller bearings may "skate" or "float" in the bearing race, and not actually rotate as designed. How does SYN3 prevent this from happening?

A: SYN3 was formulated to provide improved high temperature stability, shear stability, proper lubricity for anti-wear (without roller bearing "skate" or "float") and maintain the coefficient of friction for proper clutch operation (without clutch slippage).

Harley-Davidson does not recommend any lubricants that have not been tested and approved by Harley-Davidson engineering because we do not control the formulations. Lubricants are reformulated frequently to meet changing American Petroleum Institute (API) Ratings. API Ratings are developed and tested for use in water-cooled automotive engines and diesel applications. There is not an API Rating (classification) for Motorcycle Engines. Harley-Davidson, in close partnership with our suppliers, analyzed available petrochemical technology and developed a custom-blended candidate fluid that could be used in all three cavities of a Harley-Davidson/Buell motorcycle.

Q: Will I still need an oil cooler on my high performance engine, or does SYN3 cool faster?

A: One of the benefits of the Harley-Davidson selected Premium Quality 3 Synthetic Basestocks, Group IV Polyalphaolefin (PAO) and Additive Package is that they offer improved lubrication and cooling.

SYN3 has been tested at temperatures up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, for extended periods of time with no significant breakdown. If someone is interested in running an oil cooler on their Harley-Davidson, a Genuine Motor Accessory oil cooler is recommended for optimal proven performance.

Q: Can a brand new bike have its fluids drained and refilled with SYN3, without voiding the warranty?

A: Yes, this product can be used as a first fill upon delivery of a new motorcycle. The formula is approved by Harley-Davidson for use in all stages of engine life and is not detrimental to the engine break-in cycle.

Q: Do I need to completely drain the cavities that are going to be filled with SYN3?

A: Yes, we do not recommend mixing SYN3 with other lubricant products?

Q: Since it is recommended to not mix OEM fluids with SYN3, how do you suggest the technician or consumer drain his vehicle to completely remove all OEM fluids?

A: During servicing, a residual amount of fluid will remain in the sumps. It is not required to "flush" out the residual fluids. Testing was completed on this scenario and SYN3 is approved for replacement of factory fills.

Q: Should I put a can of additive in with each oil change?

A: No, SYN3 is blended with an additive package already included, and other additives are not needed and may not be compatible with SYN3. In fact, oil additives may actually dilute the SYN3 formulation.

Q: If I’m on the road, and realize I’m down a quart of engine oil, and cannot buy SYN3, what should I use?

A: If SYN3 is not available and addition of motor oil is required, the first choice would be to add H-D 360 SAE 20W50 to the SYN3 for engine lubrication. Although H-D 360 is compatible with SYN3, we suggest the mixture of the fluids be changed as soon as possible. If H-D 360 is not available, the second choice would be to add an acceptable diesel engine oil as listed in the Owner's Manual, and again we suggest the mixture of the fluids be changed as soon as possible. DO NOT add diesel engine oil to the primary chaincase or transmission.

Q: Can a quart of oil be added to the Primary Chaincase or Transmission when SYN3 in not available?

A: If SYN3 is not available and addition of lubricant to the Primary Chaincase (Evolution 1340 & Twin Cam 88) is required, the first choice would be to add H-D Primary Chaincase Lubricant. Although H-D Primary Chaincase Lubricant is compatible with SYN3, we suggest the mixture of the fluids be changed as soon as possible. If SYN3 is not available and addition of lubricant to the Primary Chaincase and Transmission (common reservoir) for Evolution XL and all Buell models is required, the first choice would be to add H-D Sport-Trans Fluid. Although H-D Sport-Trans Fluid is compatible with SYN3, we suggest the mixture of the fluids be changed as soon as possible.

If SYN3 is not available and addition of lubricant to the Transmission (Evolution 1340 & Twin Cam 88) is required, DO NOT ADD H-D Semi-Synthetic Transmission Lubricant as the two lubricants are NOT compatible.

HD specific oil sounds like a bunch of BS to me. If a mass produced bike needs something 'special' then something's wrong and you need to fire a bunch of doodoo engineers and get somebody who can work with commonly available oils. Since I don't think that's the case the other alternative is dishonesty on HDs part.

Great marketing and money making scheme for HD though.

msparks where did you find that FAQ, the one on the HD website is not the same and the "true synthetic" line is not there.

HD has been involved in marketing hype for a long time. There is nothing about an HD engine that requires any different lubricant than any other. They have built a loyality to the HD brand and its been sucessful for them in profits. I have a good friend with a 1999 HD and he is one who will buy anthing with the HD logo on it. Clothing, parts for bike, you name it. There isn't a day that he is not wearing something with the HD logo on it. Before 1999 all he did was badmouth the HD's and was a Honda man for over 25 yrs till he could afford the $20,000 HD and its now his religion. LOL

I think some of that FAQ (the true synthetic part) may have been fabricated by the dealership who hosts that page. I'm not saying it is a lie but just that they typed it out in their own words. On HD's website the questions are in a different order and say nothing about group IV oil. Maybe they were getting a lot of questions about the oil and they put it on the website to help people out? Hopefully if they did do this they found out the info was true from Harley first.

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
I think some of that FAQ (the true synthetic part) may have been fabricated by the dealership who hosts that page. I'm not saying it is a lie but just that they typed it out in their own words. On HD's website the questions are in a different order and say nothing about group IV oil. Maybe they were getting a lot of questions about the oil and they put it on the website to help people out? Hopefully if they did do this they found out the info was true from Harley first.

In my last quarterly harley newpaper I also read the "true synthetic", "PAO" & "group IV" statement made above. This was also in a FAQ format. The motor company must be forwarding this info on to the dealers, and therefore I am assuming it is true. It better be a "true synthetic" for the price
shocked.gif

FYI,

I found this on another amsoil dealers site so you can take it with a grain of salt.

quote:

We now have the latest test results comparing the new H-D Synthetic Screamin' Eagle Syn3 to AMSOIL 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil. The most notable differences between the two products are in the 4-ball wear test.

In the 4-Ball Parameter 1 test the H-D Screamin' Eagle Syn3 leaves a wear scar of 0.40 mm and the AMSOIL 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil leaves a wear scar of 0.35 mm.

In the more severe 4-Ball Parameter 3 test the H-D Screamin Eagle Syn3 leaves a wear scar of 0.70 mm and the AMSOIL 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil leaves a wear scar of 0.39 mm. This data indicates that the H-D Synthetic oil leaves a wear scar 79% higher than the AMSOIL motorcycle oil.

Why I posted this is becuase if amsoil truley did test it, they should know if it's PAO or Group III based. Might want try them if you are really intersted in the Harley stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
My Harley customers run the Series 2000, 20w-50 racing oil rather than the 20w-50 V-Twin stuff. Since most of these are dry clutch designs, you don't need a JASO MA rated lube. One guy out in Arizona reported a 15F-20F degree drop in cylinder head temps in his 1340 cc bike.

I would not see any problem running Mobil 1, 15w-50 in any dry clutch motorcycle either ....

I figured HD would get around to synlubes eventually
wink.gif

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

im scared I sold somebody the wrong oil! He has a new 2003 harley davidson heritage sorttail. I gave him Series 2000 20W-50 Racing Oil for the motor. Transmission i gave 75W-90, and for the Chaincase i gave 10W-40. Did i make a good choice?? If not then will it last a season (without major damage) until i get him the V-Twin 20W-50 oil?

[ February 07, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back