Break In Oil for my New Triumph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Well I'm trying to decide on what to run in the triumph at its first oil change. Since I'm a synthetic kind of guy I would like to wait a few thousand miles before switching.

When I bought the bike, it came with a special "break-in" oil that is supposed to be run for about 500 miles. The stuff is pretty black and I'm at 500 miles right now.

So I would like to know your opinions on what to run.

I have a long time friend that has over 500,000 miles on bikes and he said to run Castrol GTX 10w40.

I was thinking of either running that or maybe one of the non-syn, syns. Like Rotella 5w40 or some other group III oil.

So lets hear it, what do you think I should do!! This bike is a real keeper and I want to make sure the valves/rings are good and seated before I put the majical elixer in it
lol.gif

A feind of mine that builds four stroke mx bikes always break his motor in on havoline 20w50 and then runs them on synthetic.
I would say 500 miles is plenty. I would put the syntheic in right now. One engine builder I know says to run synthetic from the start with a special run in procedure.

I'm thinking that Shell's Rotella T Synthetic may be the best "cheap" OTC oil for motorcycles although it's not so cheap now that WalMart has raised the price to about $4.00/qt. It may still make a nice oil to run for a few thousand miles till you are ready to put the really good stuff in.

The Rotella T synthetic should have very shear resistant basestocks and VII's and it has no friction modifiers.

Well,

Since Amsoil is my main deal. I think I'm going to try the 10w40 synthetic blend for a short 2,000 mile drain. This should give me a good idea if I will have any high consumption or not, if I do I will look for a Dino oil. If not, after that will go with the Full synthetic 10w40 or 15w40.

Correction,

I ended up ordering the 15w40 blend. Reason being I wasn't sure if the 10w40 had the friction modifiers. Also the 10w40 doesn't appear to be diesel rated, which I wanted because of the higher ZDDP content of most diesel oils.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/pco.html

I'll let you all know how this stuff works. TTFN

[ January 27, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Well,

Delo 400 15w40 is what went in last night. Drained the "break-in" oil at 550 miles(manual says to run it 500)

Anyhow the breaking oil was a green colored oil, it seem to have a milk/silty appearance. I don't know what was in it, but the bike seems to run much better now. The shifting had become noticeably rougher as the miles got on it.

The plan is to use the Delo about 1500 miles or so, to make sure I dont' have any problems then the Amsoil will go in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back