Motorcycle Oil comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex D, That info could be a little more informative. They didn't compare their brand against too many others. And some of their comparisons don't really "prove" anything.

About half the people I know who run Golden Spector have been disappointed with it. You like their stuff? I know one father & son team who raced motcross and they wouldn't use Spectro if it was free.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

I took my 94 ZX-11 in for a service, and the shop put in Spectro's Semi-syn 10W-40. It was shot at 700 miles of easy riding; bad shifting, idled bad, lord only knows what it was doing that I couldn't percieve. Bror is right about the charts on their site, they don't prove anything.

What is it that makes them anymore snakey than the rest of the small specialty blenders competing for market share? They all play fast and loose with their claims to justify their inflated costs IMO?

I ran their twostroke race oils for many years (10+ years ago). It compared to anyones best.

Ran BMW's oil (made for bmw by spectro) in old R bikes, it was OK?

Used the suspension fluids many time. was OK.

Not saying it was all the greatest stuff, but never had a complaint or felt I was ripped off?

The base oils and add packs are nothing special. They charge over 4 bucks a quart for dino oil, and more than double that in some places for semi-syns.

Do they work?

Of course. But you could have poured Castrol GTX or Pennzoil in your bike and it would have done just as well.

Spectro oils are nothing special, but they command a high price. They feed on that market niche that believes if it's expensive it must be good. (Which isn't always the case).

Dan

This is funny about Spectro. Many people here aren't impressed with it based purely on a few UOA's and some other small amount of information. I have also made a decision not to use this stuff based on very limited information.

Now, I know an old Harley mechanic who has torn down many Harley engines and he recommended Spectro HD (non synth) at 1 year or 2,500 mile intervals. He made this recommendation without the use of UOA's, but instead based on his micrometer readings. This guy has torn down more Harely engines than many Harley techs. He used to be the Harley mechanic for the City of Buffalo Police Dept.

So, this, once again, boils down to UOA vs actual wear, which don't always seem to match up.

The Dave Willet '87 Tour Glide went over 400,000 miles on HD 360 dino at 2500 mile OCI's.

I'm not saying the Spectro won't work, I'm just saying that there are oils out there which would protect just as well for far less money.

I am becoming more and more of the opinion that perhaps dino oil may be better for HD engines, however. No, not because of the "bearing skate" myth, but because I'm reading some incredibly good UOA's on HD's which used dino oil, and some pretty lousy UOA's on HD's which used synthetic. Add to this the recently advanced idea that some synthetics don't allow the ZDDP barrier additives to deposit in thick enough amounts, and you've gotta wonder... The HD engine works on very low oil pressure, and the top end is especially dependent on the ZDDP layer. If the metal surfaces aren't as receptive to the ZDDP due to the synthetic base taking up the space, that might explain why I got top end squeak at idle with Mobil 1 15W50 and haven't heard that sound once since switching to Havoline 20W50 dino.

Food for thought.
smile.gif

Dan

dan, thanks for the reply it's good
quote:

Food for thought.

Looking at the spectro link it's ez to see what your saying. Any good hdeo would probably look even better yet on their bargraphs. It'd be ez to pick an oil if those were the only factors to consider.

Interesting about your "squeek"? and theory about AW and syns. I'd say a vast majority of hog users that don't use HD oil are using the M1 15/50, never heard anything bad about it till now.

FWIW my bud works at big company here that has their own UOA lab. So naturally all the bike guys and motor heads drop off a sample from time to time. The harley gang there is convinced royal purple( sae ?w??) is the sh%$, mobile1 a close 2nd. It's been a year though so maybe they're hot on something else now?

Most the HDs Ive worked on suffered more from the owner or his mods. Fat jetting that washes and fuel diluton, pipes that burn valves, cams that wear the valve guides, low idle that starves the oil, smokeshow burnouts that float the valve train, etc, you get the idea. Oil even the old anybrand 5Ow we used to run, never seemed an issue.

Agree 100% on the owner mod problem with the HD's. I have never been able to connect to the mentality of trying to eek a dozen more horsepower out of an Evo or a Twin Cam. I'm perfectly happy with the stock performance of my '94 Evolution engine. When you really like to ride, reliability is everything. If it's about horsepower and speed there are other platforms which are much sturdier to go from. Wrenching up a 65 horsepower engine to try to get it to make 90 hp seems pointless when a 650 Suzuki is still going to clean your clock. My opinion.
smile.gif

But the V-Rod engine is really coming into its own on the drag strip these days. It would seem that the 4 cylinder Japanese bike afficianados have something to bawl about. I read an article in (Cycle World?) recently, and watched some 1/4 mile drag races on the tube the other day. The V-Rod is actually outrunning the 4 cylinder ricers. Amazing. And this in spite of a weight handicap placed on the Harley due to its "inherent torque advantage." It'll be interesting to see how the Japanese 4 cylinder guys respond to all of this!
smile.gif

Back on oil.

I of course can't say that the Mobil 1 had anything at all to do with that squeak I was hearing. Probably just guilt by association, which we can all play into from time to time. You mention that you've seen no oil related failures on the HD engines. That's also what I've heard from other HD wrenches--that obvious oil related engine failure is practically non-existent. So in a certain circle, or "clique", it would be easy enough for one guy to tell another and so on, that "Castrol 20W50 GTX is the best oil for your Harley." And that's just what has happened in the county next to mine. The main mechanic on HD's in that area has been recommending Castrol 20W50 dino for years. (I saw him riding through town last summer with a whole case of it bungee corded to the luggage rack on his Wide Glide--a true biker it would seem!). He still tells his customers that synthetic oil causes bearing skate. He's old school, but his methods work--so who can argue?
smile.gif

Any half decent oil will get the job done, and any half decent oil has a half decent chance of developing a "following," I would say--given the right set of circumstances.

The reverse can happen also. Take one "go to" guy in an HD circle. Say he's the epitome of Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda rolled up into one loveable little fuzzball (little Rush Limbaugh lingo there
wink.gif
). If this "go to" guy had a wrenched up engine fail on him not long after he put Pennzoil 20W50 in the sump, he'll have half the next generation of He11-bound-Easy Riders thinking that Pennzoil screws up engines--even though the real culprit was a mis-matched string of "upgrades."

Anyway, you make good points. I just wanted to share some more of my perspective, for what it's worth.

Dan

If you're speaking of the Vance and Hines V-Rod it is not even an H-D engine. It's a machined from billet one off, or maybe two or three. I like the V-Rod especially the new Street Rod version. Too pricey for me tho'. But it will not blow off my old Kawasaki Concours, bags, fairing and all.

Spectro Oil? Tried it once. $6.00 per quart semi-syn. Was NOT impressed. Bike didn't shift worth a darn with it in the sump. Fool me once...

I'm talking about the 1/4 mile drags. They've got into the 7's with some of the new V-Rod builds.

I don't know anything about the V&H engine, but it would seem that the V-rod platform is more capable than some of us heretofore believe--including me.

Dan

That V-Rod engine is amazing. And it will scream. I have a friend that has one with Screaming Eagle pipes. Got to watch him, if you let him get the jump on you he takes forever to catch.

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:

I don't know anything about the V&H engine, but it would seem that the V-rod platform is more capable than some of us heretofore believe--including me.

Dan

Yes...Porsche does know a thing or two about engine building.
rolleyes.gif

True, the Harley Davidson V-Rod is a Porsche design. But who would have thought a twin cylinder engine could outperform the Japanese 4's?

Too, the Buell in second place is not a V-Rod powered bike--that one is an S&S engine, so the success of these bikes isn't all Porsche ingenuity--though Porsche does deserve kudos for the V-Rod engine.

I have learned since my earlier post that the Suzuki folks appealed to the NHRA to put a weight handicap on the Harleys last year (2004). It was argued that the twin cylinder engines had an unfair advantage due to better inherent torque. (They only advanced this argument after losing badly in '04). Some calculations were done and in 2005 the NHRA made the HD racers add 40 pounds of weight to their bikes.

Looks like Suzuki's plan didn't work. Guess they'll have to go for 80 pounds next year...
tongue.gif

Dan

Too bad Harley pulled out of AMA racing... guess they wanted to focus on drag racing (where they actually are successful).

I bought a Vrod back in March.Got about 1900 miles on it and so far love the bike.Only complaint is the small 3 1/2 gal gas tank.Put a set of Rinehart pipes on it and it sounds darn close to a traditional bike.At first service i put Mobil1 15w50 red cap in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back