honda aquatrax f12x turbo jetski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put this in the motorcycle section since it pretty much deals with high reving motorcyles. My question is i ususally have been using 10w40 valvoline oil(not motorcycle) in my ski for the past 103 hours i have had it(its a honda aquatrax f12x turbo 4 stroke ski). Ive changed the oil about 3 times now, and the recommnended interval is 50 hrs(i decided to change it more frequently since i had auto oil instead of the overpriced motorcycle oil. Next season, im looking for some good 10w40 synthetic oils that would help me be more confident in letting my ski g2 50 hours without changing the oil. Usually the top speed is at 60mph(gps, not gauge speed) and its rpm averages about 6200 rpms at wot. What 10w40 oils would hold up against this, and do i really even need synthetic motorcycle oil since i don't even have a wet clutch?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
What 10w40 oils would hold up against this, and do i really even need synthetic motorcycle oil since i don't even have a wet clutch?
confused.gif

Yes and no. Yes because motorcycle specific oils usually have heavier additive packages. No if you use a top quality non-motorcycle oil that has a heavier additive package.

Synthetic, I recommend would be Amsoil 10w40 or the 15w40 diesel and marine, which is less expensive than the 10w40

Mobil 1 would work great also and is more availiable and cheaper than amsoil. I would run the 0/40

[ December 03, 2002, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: ben walker ]

Redline, Amsoil or Mobil 1 MX4T are top performers in the synthetic 10w40 group.

I’m not sure you need these. You don’t have a wet clutch or a transmission to grind up the oil like most bikes. I’d never use an OTC dino 10w40 though except for break-in.

I’d look at Schaeffer 7000 15w40. It’s a lot better than the stuff you’ve been using without paying $6-$8/qt for the M/C oils.

In the ‘Used Oil Analysis’ section you’ll find a report of Redline 10w40 for my motorcycle.

if i can get the mobil 1 mx4t for about 6 bucks a quart, then ill prolly get it, otherwise, im going with either the amsoil 10w40 high performance motor oil or the amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil. Being that my ski is turbocharged, im not sure if motorcycle oils can take the heat of my turbocharger. After just 30 hrs(about 50 total hrs on machine), the valvoline 10w40 was cooked. I will never ever run regular petroleum oil in my ski again!!!

A marine situation requires a heavy duty oil .The engine is always under load the oil gets really beat up look at the oil anaylsis section for boat engines talking about high metals I would recommend a heavy duty oil as a minimum , the 10w40 amsoil full syn has great numbers the 15w40 costs less but is well proven you won,t go wrong with Redline costs ,a little more. If any petro oil will hold up it will be the heavy duty oils that is what they are made for. Change what ever oil you choose often .How fast will the honda go?

quote:

if i can get the mobil 1 mx4t for about 6 bucks a quart, then ill prolly get it, otherwise, im going with either the amsoil 10w40 high performance motor oil or the amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil. Being that my ski is turbocharged, im not sure if motorcycle oils can take the heat of my turbocharger. After just 30 hrs(about 50 total hrs on machine), the valvoline 10w40 was cooked. I will never ever run regular petroleum oil in my ski again!!!

Is there a way to measure your oil temps? If they are too high(240+) you might want to look at a 20w50 oil.

Also be sure you allow that turbo to cool for at least 5 minutes after high RPM runs. Before you turn it off. You don't want to coke the Turbo.

yeah, i always flush my ski out for about 5 minutes after riding. NOt sure on engine temps, but theres one guy on pwctoday.com forum that runs mobil 1 15w50 in his ski, but i really don't think i need a 50 weight in a 4 cylinder ski. I think a 40 weight should be enough as long as I use a good synthetic oil like amsoil 10w40. Btw, whats the difference between amsoil 10w40 and amsoil motorcycle 10w40?

quote:

I put this in the motorcycle section since it pretty much deals with high reving motorcyles. My question is i ususally have been using 10w40 valvoline oil(not motorcycle) in my ski for the past 103 hours i have had it(its a honda aquatrax f12x turbo 4 stroke ski). Ive changed the oil about 3 times now, and the recommnended interval is 50 hrs(i decided to change it more frequently since i had auto oil instead of the overpriced motorcycle oil. Next season, im looking for some good 10w40 synthetic oils that would help me be more confident in letting my ski g2 50 hours without changing the oil. Usually the top speed is at 60mph(gps, not gauge speed) and its rpm averages about 6200 rpms at wot. What 10w40 oils would hold up against this, and do i really even need synthetic motorcycle oil since i don't even have a wet clutch?
confused.gif

I know a guy that has one of the new Honda turbos and is running Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 (if that helps any)

Justin.

[ April 16, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Anyone know how the drives on these things work, exactly? Do they have wet-clutches like a motorcycle or some sort of centrifigal clutch or CVT belt?
confused.gif

Does this power transfer (transmission) share the engine sump oil?

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Anyone know how the drives on these things work, exactly? Do they have wet-clutches like a motorcycle or some sort of centrifigal clutch or CVT belt?

PWC are direct drive. The shaft to the pump impeller is attached directly to the crankshaft of the motor. No clutching, and no sharing of lubrication. The drive components are exposed.

[ April 16, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: 47HO ]

OK, so friction modifiers, moly additives, etc ... are not an issue. Cool.

So you could use any automotive oil you want (none are off limits)?

What is the sump capacity? If it is just a couple quarts, I'd use Red Line 10W40 and not worry about the cost. Amsoil 10W40 is another attractive option ... no moly but a lot of ZDDP.

If you want to stick with dino and change it every 30-40 hours, you could go with Chevron Supreme 10W40. The newer batches (beginning with #970XXXX ?) seems to have a killer additve package featuring moly AND boron. However, the 10W40 is not terribly shear stable and I'd limit the interval to 30-40 hours max.

The fleet oils (15W40s) are also attractive in these applications. Very shear stable, good anti-wear and excellent self-cleaning properties.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

its a 4.5 qt sump. Not really sure if i want to spend the money on redline right now, but I plan on running amsoil 10w40. Got a ? for you amsoil dealers, whats the diff between your 10w40 high performance and the motorcycle oil? Are they both group 4(Real synthetics?) and which one would you recommend?

got another ? for you tooslick, ive seen the amsoil 10w40 motorcycle synthetic oil at a harley shop. Are they trustworthy to buy from cause im considering picking some up and want to know if its really amsoil in the bottles they have?

HondaGuy

Buy a case of Amsoil from TooSlick or another site supporter.

What are you thinking?
dunno.gif

I agree with satterfi. Regulars here should go out of their way to buy from site supporters. I just placed a sizeable Schaeffer order with Bob & Tim Mills. Sure, some of the items I wanted were specifically Schaeffer products ... but before I placed my order, I took a good look around my garage and looked for items which I needed but normally sourced locally ... but tacked them onto my Schaeffer order instead.
wink.gif

If I were ordering Red Line and there was a dealer who was a site supporter here ... but was $0.50 per quart more than others I know about, that wouldn't stop me from ordering from him. The dude would have to be WAAAaayy out of line for me to pass him over!
shocked.gif

So, if the price is at least close, please patronize site supporters over other retailers.

Good luck with the Amsoil ... gonna do an analysis?
gr_stretch.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back