Motul Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any of you using this brand oil in you bikes or cars?

They have certainly been around for a while. I was watching a Grand Prix Race from 1962 the other day and saw Motul Banners hung around the pits and straights ect.

Used the blend in an older Kawasaki but it leaked out of the seals and made my clutch slip.
frown.gif

Motul has been around a long time. They are made in France(does anything good come out of france?)

Anyhow, I believe they use quality basestocks and quality additives. I would not hesitate to use them, though they are quite expensive. Even considerably higher than Amsoil and Redline. So there are usually better choices.

You don't see many LeCars or Fuegos and Alliance's around thats for sure

This is not the first time I have heard of Motul lubed motor leaking,,must be using a PE Ester and or little or no swell agents?

I can see that in a race only oil,but a street performance blend?

Motul introduced one of the first synthetic lubes in Europe in the early 1970's, not long after Mobil 1 came out. They make a number of high end, ester based synthetics, like their 6100 series oil, in the 5w-40 grade. They are also well known for their motorcycles. I know you can buy it up in Canada and I've seen available mail order in the US, typically from independant German car garages ....

Mike,

You have clearly never been to france ...the food/wine alone are worth the trip
wink.gif

TooSlick

Motul makes very high quality synthetic lubes. They are pretty popular in the dirtbike world. I believe they are owned by Shell.

Motul is known for making some really top-shelf fluids. In addition to ester based lubricating oils, the make some of the best brake fluid in existence ... although caution is warranted if the vehicle in question is driven on the street as the fluids don't deal well with moisture. In other words, be prepared to change them frequently ... like once each year.

I knew a guy who took his son motocross racing up and down the east coast. After some seriously disappointing experiences with Golden Spectro (one of many complaints I've heard about their oils), he switched to Motul and has been an avid user ever since.

Chris & dragboat, since esters are natural seal swellers, could it be that the gaskets were iffy and the ester swelled them too much, causing leaking? This is just the opposite problem with early PAO formulas ... but the very same result. The clutch slippage is due to heavy use of barrier additives/friction modifiers like moly. Too much = slipping clutch.

Last I knew, Motul used a lot of different base stocks including severely hydrofinished mineral oils as well as PAO and esters. Each formula has to investigated separately.

All in all, I think msparks summed it up the best. With over-engineered fluids available from specialty manufacturers like Red Line and others, why bother paying even more for Motul?

--- Bror Jace

Well I wonder in the last few years if the entire engine Industry has changed seal compositions?

If I remember correctly from reading some info from possibly the most knowledgable Seal Companies in the World in the Polymer family there are about 21 Elastomers used for various seal compositions. Nitrile,Buna-N,Polyacrylic are now commonly used in Automobiles. With that said I always thought the Japanese engines to use primarily Silicone Seals and might be true but seem to they suffer the worst rating on a 1-4 scale per this Seal Study of sorts with most various Esters in dynamic operation too numerous to remember,,will dig it up and post some though.Static operation being more of a compressed seal like a o'ring

There are some compositions that are not compatable with the Fatty Acid Ester as well.Some of these seals withstand the Pentaerythritol Ester better than a Fatty Acid Ester,,again going off memory

So now,when we see high levels of Si in a oil analysis of a fairly new engine and it is observed as gaskets and seals leaching = normal,,,are we really seeing the cast piston breaking in and leaching into the oil? Most are sand cast and new technology puts either Silicone or Silicon in the Aluminum Alloy material " I forget which one". Actually there are probably a billlion gazillion different Si's. Silicon F and Silicon T's are just a couple in which I knowwwwwwwww nuthin about
smile.gif

I'm a private pilot here in the netherlands with a dutch Private Pilot License and a US Commercial License.
Just a little bit off topic, but I fly a Rotax 914 turbocharged powered aircraft and the manufacturer recommends Motul 5100 10w40 synthetic blend. (here's the topic again
grin.gif
) We change it every 50 hours, and thats due to the fact that we tank AVGAS 100LL every once in a while and it is a leaded fuel
rolleyes.gif
We pay about 8$ a quart here for the Motul.
AVGAS is 6$ a gallon...
mad.gif
mad.gif

At the Motul website it is interesting they ask to be contacted before using certain oils in some motorcycle engines. They say some designs will burn oil if their synthetic is used.

At a motorcycle shop last week I saw these Motul oils. They were quite pricey but a whole line of Castrol I guess European oils were there for 8.99 per quart. The motorcycle dealers are known for high markup because their business is made in summer months mostly so what they make in spring and summer usually pays the rent during winter. That was a long way round to say I think these oils could be bought cheaper.

Dragboat ,I can relate to you on the Aluminum and Silicone in oil anaylisis because even oil pump housings and some rocker trunions are made of this material in some engines.Many things have changed in these motors.
offtopic.gif

Dragboat lead me here from another forum where we butted heads about oils in hi performance engines. I have since had to make a apology about something he was trying to beat into my head but I would not listen.

Thanks Dragboat I have learned a bunch here and really like the motor oil you asked me to try. I will post a analysis from one of the Labs you said to use as soon as I get a kit and the miles are right.

JohnTDI, The problem with some early synthetics in aviation (Mobil 1 - PAO) was their inability to scavenge lead from rings and cylinders. But with newer formulas using esters and alkylated napthalenes, I understand this is no longer the problem it once was. Know enough about aviation chemistry to comment? Know anything of the composition of the Motul formula you use?
confused.gif

L8274, we all live and learn (myself included
wink.gif
) but it takes a real man to admit he was mistaken and admit another was really right all along. Welcome aboard.
smile.gif

On the issue of motorcycle oils, I'm convinced that there is a difference between them and the emission-friendly automotive oils. But, I don't believe it is to the degree that it usually justifies their $8+ per quart price tag.

When I was a fireman, we used to see gear available from a fire department supplier and then see the same gear sourced elsewhere for less than half price. Add the words "fire-rated" and it doubled the price.
rolleyes.gif

I also saw a local police department which bought a Tippmann paintball gun for over $600 for riot control when that same exact gun (they showed a picture) could be bought mail order (or even from a local paintball supply shop) for less than $200.
rolleyes.gif

So, I like to see in threads like this one when people can post information which distinguishes between genuine elite products (or special applications) from the ordinary stuff with "specialty labeling" and a wole lot of additional markup.
nono.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror
Well we've all heard about US$25,000 toilet seats sold to the military etc as we know everything with 'mil-spec' is open slather but a little off topic the best has to be during the space race. NASA needed a pen that could write where theres no gravity.
$1,000,000 later they had one. The Russians needed same but didn't have the R & D funds. Their solution?

A PENCIL!!

BROR: I'm not an oil chemist or know enough about it (just a pilot with a huge interest in lubrication).
I just checked the engine manufacturers documentation as to why we need this oil when using avgas and you're correct; they state that when using more that 30% leaded fuel in the tanks(avgas) the engine needs a synblend (which motul 5100 is) and oil changes every 50 hours to help remove the lead from the valves etc etc
But if i'd mainly use mogas then a synthetic oil and 100 hours oil changes would be perfect.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back