Motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that Valvoline now has a motorcycle oil. Must be a conventional since it does not mention the word synthetic. I still think the Mobil 1 is the best but glad there is another choice.
rolleyes.gif

I've used Mobil 1 MX4T before. It's ok but Redline 10w-40 gives my transmission smoother shifting. Someone said that's due to the moly in it.

I'm with you Chris, Glad there is another choice as I use Schaeffers. As pointed out with redline, my shifting too is alot smoother due to the moly.

Thank goodness that mobil 1's isn't the best as I'd really feel cheated if I paid that much with what they have.
frown.gif

Sorry Chris, just don't agree with that last statement about m1 being best.
gr_stretch.gif
I'd take redline or schaeffers over m1 anyday when it comes to the m/c oils.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I got my Mobil 1 for $3.00 at a Walmart clearance!
grin.gif

Don't blow off moly just because you have a wet clutch.

Honda HP4 has moly in it.

If moly isn't good for clutches then someone should let Honda know about it.

There's more to it than that. Honda uses fiber clutch pads. All metallic pads don't like moly, or so someone said. I don't know who uses them.

Maybe a superbike with 200+ hp might not like moly. But at that hp, how can any clutch be a happy camper?

Yes there is HP4 with moly for the Goldwing and the regular HP4 without. The manual for my F-3 specifically says, "Do not use oils with graphite or molybdenum additives. They may adversely affect clutch operation."
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
In 3 words... "lower wear protection"

Do you have any data to back that up? Since the Mobil MC oil is a different formulation than their auto oil, data for their auto oil isn't representative of their MC oil.

[ July 05, 2002, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: DNS ]

Bob or maybe Terry, anything else out there float your boat as far as moto-oil without moly. Terry do you actually see motorcycle oil for testing? Thought that the other good ones were Belray, GoldenSpecto, and maybe Amsoil.
confused.gif

Chris, Yes I see motorcycle samples, MOTUL,SYNERGYN are two you might checkout that have no moly.

Terry, has the Mobil 1 for motorcycles come out poorly? Had bad luck with Motul blend leaking out of gaskets and causing the clutch to slip. Thanks for the info!
worshippy.gif

I'd like to know more about the Mobil 1 for motorcycles, either the 10W40 for rice rockets or the 20W50 for Hawgs. Even at Walmart this stuff is around $6 per quart.

I had heard that it had a stiff anti-wear package and had warnings (on the bottle, web site, some other source?) specifically warning that using the cycle Mobil 1 in cars would either foul the enigne and/or ruin emissions equipment.

I just don't know much about it.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
I'm with you Chris, Glad there is another choice as I use Schaeffers. As pointed out with redline, my shifting too is alot smoother due to the moly.

Thank goodness that mobil 1's isn't the best as I'd really feel cheated if I paid that much with what they have.
frown.gif

Sorry Chris, just don't agree with that last statement about m1 being best.
gr_stretch.gif
I'd take redline or schaeffers over m1 anyday when it comes to the m/c oils.

Bob

Can you be more specific as to why you don't like Mobil 1 motorcycle oil?

jake, do you have an up-to-date figure as to the CURRENT zinc phosphate content of Delo 400??

I don't think it's much (if any) higher than 1.0%

The Delvac1300 is 1.6 and the Valvoline VR1 is 2.0

Quote:
"Had bad luck with Motul blend leaking out of gaskets"

Seems to be a problem when using some synthetics and a silicone seal.

We used to put some very hard miles on the VR1 in the old WERA Endurance Series. That was back when Bel Ray first came out.There were some GSXR's dribbling in the pits and on the track for that matter with the Belray.Circa 1984
Was thumbing through a friends M/C catalog a while back,man,there are many oils available for them. Even saw a Bardahl oil.

[ July 15, 2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Used Motul blend and it leaked big time and it made the clutch slip. May be good for the motor but it has many jobs in a Jap bike.
blush.gif

Anyone with a Harley? What are you using for oils? Primarily from reading these forums, I've changed from using M1 15W50 Synthetic (engine), M1 75W90 (tranny) and M1 MXT4 (Primary) to all Redline fluids. 20W50 (engine), Shockproof (tranny), MTL (primary). I can't say I notice any difference in performance, shifting or noise levels. I do believe that I have better quality oils in my bike now though. I'll still change my oils/filter every 3000 miles even though I know I can go 5000-6000 miles, I just can't bring myself to go the distance - old school.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
Bob or maybe Terry, anything else out there float your boat as far as moto-oil without moly. Terry do you actually see motorcycle oil for testing? Thought that the other good ones were Belray, GoldenSpecto, and maybe Amsoil.
confused.gif

Chris, I have had several oil analysis done on my 99 BMW r1100r with Amsoil 10w40. One sample was at 6700 miles the other was at 9400 miles.

Shooting for 10K this time. Though I don't know if I will make it within 1 year. Since I only have about 3K on the currenty change and its already comming up on August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back