uhaul rant, aka "adventures in moving"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm meeting a gentleman 40 miles away at a predetermined appointment to pick up a car that barely runs. I crunch some numbers and figure it might be cheaper to rent a u-haul plus dolly than to use a tow truck.

The car only weighs 2300 lbs, and the dolley 700, so I figure a 3/4 ton pickup should be able to handle it. U-haul rents those and I saw hitches on them.

Step 1) Call central reservations, they won't let me locally rent a tow dolly. They also want to charge me a $5 urgent fee as I was renting tomorrow... times two, for two pieces of equipment. I hang up.

Step 2) Call a local guy who does nickel can redemption and U-haul rental. He has nothing but suggests I call another place and return the truck to him.
lol.gif

Apparantly they want to discourage local dolley use so going from one town to the next tricked their computer into thinking I was actually "moving". And I got a better rate, 40 cents a mile instead of 79.... though I didn't get the $19.95/ day the mileage made up for it. And the $5 fee was not charged.

Step 3) Call another local guy, a real u-haul center, and get hooked up. The dolley is real nice, it swivels so the tires don't scrub and has nice ratcheting tire straps that won't damage the towed vehicle.

The truck, OTOH, is a 14' box truck with 170k miles on a 1994 GMC chassis... 1 ton, 1.5 ton, something like that. Easily overkill for a 3000 lb tow. And of course a gas engine that took 8 gallons to go 73 miles. The "check engine" light was on when I went to drive off so I ducked back in the office to mention that. "Not a problem" they said. As I turned my blinker on to enter the interstate I noticed the voltmeter dipping from 14 to 12 in time with the signal. Yay.

Dusk was approaching but I kept my lights off as long as practicable and made it to the rendezvous point early. Shut the truck down then turned the key back on... less voltage than when it was running. Good sign. Looked under the hood and there's a brand new alternator, probably wired in okay but with those stupid crimp connectors. Incidentally, UHaul has their own parts division as the alt had a Uhaul tag on it.
grin.gif
Oh, and a $29 pep boys battery that was a few several years old was cranking over that huge V8, probably a 454?

I had no paper clip on me so I couldn't get that check engine code.
mad.gif
Was betting it's low voltage but maybe not. Thing was missing a bit too.

The steering box had the play you'd expect over 170,000 miles and the truck was registered in Arizona so it never had to endure a Maine state inspection. Brakes felt pretty numb and I was driving very conservatively.

Which brings up my next point: When going 53 in a 65 in the right lane of an interstate, at night, in the rain, with a car on a trailer you can't even see, why do people slow down and hang off your bumper? Where's the impetus to pass? (I ask b/c I never go this slow) Most of these bozos when they'd finally pass would speed up to a new cruising speed of 60 or more and had plenty of clear openings to do so. Maybe they feel "safe" behind bigger trucks?
dunno.gif

I made it home safe, I figure the dash had a bad ground and who knows, maybe the old alternator was okay after all.

Obligatory BITOG moment: Uhaul's contract says they pay for oil if you save your receipt. So top 'er off with some amsoil or shaeffer's.
grin.gif

No no no, top it off with Synlube.

"$30 A QUART!??!
mad.gif
mad.gif
banghead.gif
twak.gif
"

"Yeah, but now you'll never need to change it!"

Maybe those slowpokes decided to go slow for a little while since it was dark and raining, playing it safe. Then they got tired of waiting and sped up again. I've done that before.

Hah, try towing a double axle car transporter trailer and a Fiero with a Chevy 1/2 ton truck with the 4.3V6 and an overgeared automatic transmission. Sloooowwwwww, and burned about 60 bucks of gas back when it was only like 70 cents a liter. My brother bought a Fiero parts car one time, we borrowed a friend's Chevy truck and a car trailer. I think one of the axles had a bad wheel bearing too. Getting the car up on the trailer was entertaining. The engine has completely seized up so the rear wheels wouldn't turn at all. We had to use a chainfall tied to the truck's bumper to pull the car up on the trailer. Good thing that bumper hitch held up.

I've had really good luck with U-Haul and have used them many times. I rented a dolly from them and towed my car from Bend, Oregon to Lancaster, CA. once. The dolly worked great. Try to get a diesel truck if you can, but wear earplugs.

Drove a brand new uhaul for my move from mass to maine.. My only complaint was trying to keep the darn truck going straight for the short time that i did drive it, both hands on the wheels white knuckles was the only way to keep it on the road.

I think it was because the truck was brand new, 200 miles on it. Brand new tires = squirmish and hard to keep straight?
dunno.gif

Oddly, the further I've had to travel with a U-haul, the ****pier the truck has been. I just helped a friend move off Martha's Vineyard to Cape Cod; nicest truck ever. Clean, well maintained, low miles; of course all i needed it to do was sit on a ferry.

at one point i was towing a car a week and using uhaul to do it. funny thing is they NEVER charged my credit card. i got totally free use of their trailers and dow dollys. i dont know why they never charged me.

Karma. =-)

My last uhaul experience was for a dual axle covered trailer. They had the trailer for me.
Looked at the trailer and grabbed my tire guage, 10 psi in one. 20psi in the other tire. 50 psi on the opposite side, and a nail staring directly at me in the final tire. Didn't bother taking a reading on that one.
Turns out the UHaul service facility (where I rented) does NOT do tires. Nor do they fully inspect their trailers before realeasing them for pickup. Spent an hour and a half waiting for the Goodyear tire guy to show up and repair three of four tires.
I rented a dual axle for the express purpose of having redundant tires justincase (800 mile one way into the U.S.). What if I hadn't even done a simple look at the tires? If I was lucky, I'd have 4 flat tires in my driveway as the trailer got loaded. Worst case, I'd be (hopefully) sitting beside I75 with shredded trailer hanging on the back of my truck.

Other than the abismal service and inspection of its equipment, its an okay facility to get a trailer from... since its the only game in town.

Alex.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Most of the time U-Haul charges you 500 bucks to rent a $500 truck.

the computer rental industry is worse, sometimes we charge 2x what an item is worth just to rent it for a couple days

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
Oddly, the further I've had to travel with a U-haul, the ****pier the truck has been. I just helped a friend move off Martha's Vineyard to Cape Cod; nicest truck ever. Clean, well maintained, low miles; of course all i needed it to do was sit on a ferry.

U-haul agencies like to keep the nicest vehicles close to home and send POS trucks far-far away so they won't see them again.

There connector is different in that it screws down to "lock" onto any ball size. (as opposed to your typical flip latch to lock down onto a specific ball size).

Alex.

Quote:

Incidentally, UHaul has their own parts division as the alt had a Uhaul tag on it.

They probably do that so their alternators don't end up on Ebay.

Jones Intercable did the same sort of thing--they had their coax cable printed with the words "PROPERTY OF JONES INTERCABLE". And Centex Homes does that, too, with their Tyvek Housewrap printed with the Centex logo. (Although I saw a remodel where they'd used that stuff, obviously stolen from a construction site).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back