Do roaches destroy other roaches to eat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I bought some type of roach bait, can't remember the name, but in the instructions it mentioned that roaches are cannibalistic. When one or more roaches ate the poison and died, others would eat the poisoned dead and die too.
shocked.gif

Wouldn't a roach be too large to eat another roach and leave it intact in the manner described? I think ants ate them from the inside.
Gotta go! Dinner time!

Here is an interesting article I read on roaches:

Roaches will eat just about anything when hungry enough but their preferred diet consists of carbohydrate based substances including pastes, glues, solid soaps and starch based paints and foods like pasta. The following tips and methods may be tried on any of these roaches.

Sugar and Baking Soda: This excellent cockroach treatment comes from Christopher Moss who resides in Prescott, Arizona. He says this worked on the smaller Oriental type of cockroaches that tend to infest cabinets. Prior to coming up with this recipe Christopher had used the commercial type sprays that you can find at supermarkets to no avail. Boric acid bates did not work either. Our many thanks to Christopher for this!
Here it is. Just mix 50/50 granulated sugar and baking soda (Arm & Hammer will do) and place it in their path. Takes about 3 or 4 days to notice a reduction and 2 weeks later, no roaches. The cure seems relatively permanent, although you may have to repeat some months later.
Why might this work?
The roach has an acid stomach. They can't resist the sugar and the baking soda mixes with the acid in their stomachs. Blamo! The best part is the roach is a cannibal and they eat their dead, and the whole process cascades through the colony

When you pack to move home, check your baggage and contents thoroughly. You don't want to bring six legged hitch-hikers back to the beautiful Garden State.

Ive had an apartment here in AL for four months. It is a 2br apartment, and Ive kept one room closed off completely. It wasnt the smartest idea, I guess, as the toilet had run completely dry.

I found a number of dead roaches in that room. None throughout the rest of the apartment, but for some reason there were a bunch there. The strange thing I noted was that on a number of them, their heads were popped out, or else tilted upwards, and their innards were eaten out. It was quite obvious that smething had 'sucked' out the insides of these roaches. The bodies were essentially clean, not destroyed, mauled, etc. It was cleanly sucked out from under the head and from the tail end.

Do roaches do this to themselves? One way or another Im moving out to go back home, and no more large southern bugs
wink.gif
But all the same, it was gross and interesting.

JMH

Yeah roaches will eat anything. They even bit me the otherday. As far as roaches eating roaches I don't know. I have two cats and normally all that's left are the legs.

quote:

Originally posted by Eric Smith:
Yeah roaches will eat anything. They even bit me the otherday. As far as roaches eating roaches I don't know. I have two cats and normally all that's left are the legs.

Roaches are eating your cats?

quote:

Originally posted by 55:

quote:

Roaches are eating your cats?

lol.gif
If that happened i'm moving.. one of the cats weighs 25 pounds.

Yeah just imagine a roach crawling up your leg. I thought it was just my imagination at first. Good thing I had a couple days off from work, that's where it happened.

quote:

If that happened i'm moving.. one of the cats weighs 25 pounds.

That's a fat cat. I have one that's 23.5lbs and he can barely jump more than about 2 feet. He was born in a barn and hates being picked up.

I think I need to put him on a diet.

If the roaches stomach is acidic and then the bait uses baking soda, a base....wouldn't that just neutralize one another?

Makes me glad my home is clean and vermin free!

I was watching one of the reality ER shows the other day and it showed a lady who had a roach stuck in her ear. It had crawled in there while she was sleeping.

Mike Rowe did a Dirty Jobs episode where he went with an exterminator into a filthy trailer house that people lived in. There were literally roaches everywhere. Open a cupboard door and hundreds of them scurry about.

I've never understood how people can live like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back