Getting rid of tree stumps naturally

Status
Not open for further replies.
JHZR2
I think your approach is best if you can't remove it mechaniclally. I would drill and ax some hole sand fill with Mollasses and cover it withgreens such as fresh manure or vegatable wastge and cover that with some mulch. Keep it moist like a compost pile and it should be gone in a year if you keep the composting going good and active. You'll have a wonderfull improvemnt in soil too. As the activity slows down you can use the compost around te yard and add fresh greens to the stump. . Sounds like fun to me. and in the mean time you can garden around the pile.

Common JMH, just use an electric chain saw if you do not have gas on and start cutting it on small peaces. Before you know it will be all gone.

I have a stihl 180 gas saw... Itll work fine. between the digging, chipping, sawing, etc. I was curious if there was an easier way to let it be done naturally... Ill invest a little elbow grease and all will be well
smile.gif

JMH

JHZR2, I meet I lot of people that try digging out and cutting with a saw. After a days work and a few $20.00 chains they call me. I remove the stump in 10 minutes for $75.00. I would call and get a few free estimates if I were you. I hate it when people use us against their next lowest bid, but it does get the price down.

quote:

JHZR2, I meet I lot of people that try digging out and cutting with a saw. After a days work and a few $20.00 chains they call me. I remove the stump in 10 minutes for $75.00. I would call and get a few free estimates if I were you. I hate it when people use us against their next lowest bid, but it does get the price down.

Wow 75 bucks, what a deal!

They charge $300 around here for stump grinding. I cut down a 100 foot cottonwood that was right up against my foundation, unfortunately it's still alive and wanting to sprout little runners. $75 to grind it down would be a no-brainer.

quote:

Originally posted by stumpman:

I agree with stumpman. On the jobs I have seen done, you cannot tell that a tree was ever there.

Dig around the stump to expose major roots down to their base; pile dirt away to one side; go out about 2-3'from stump; call stump grinder in.

Afterwards, cart away the remains to use in compost pile bit by bit.

Use dirt piled to one side, mix with compost and till the area in. Plant, re-plant, etc.

Have done this several times.

Brons2, If you call a few grinders, the next one will always beat the one before's price. Use servicemagic.com and you will get a fair price and insured company. Just make sure they have portable (self-propelled) machines. Should not pay over $2.00 per inch. In Atlanta, all the equipment rental places rent the 25 HP machines for $200.00 per day. Often cheaper to have someone like us do it for you.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
Dig around the stump to expose major roots down to their base; pile dirt away to one side; go out about 2-3'from stump; call stump grinder in.

Have done this several times.

Just came across this item:

Garden Dig-It
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/27947-Garden-Dig-It.html

Among other uses this looks like the way to clear out the dirt around a stump. I've got two, flush cut, that I was going to ignore. Now I think not as I have to have a bunch of dirt hauled in next spring anyway.

Will work them over, and have stumps removed if this device looks as handy as I am imagining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back